2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 10:08 AM by the_wine_snob

Using DeNoiser

Robyn_Schnobrich

I have an audio clip with a lot of background noise of kids screaming and a bunch of racket. Is the DeNoiser the best way to minimize the background or is there a different audio effect I should be using? If DeNoiser is best, how do you use it? I moved the dials all around it still seems to carry the same levels of noise.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Using DeNoiser
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The primary role of the Denoiser is to remove tape noise (aka, tape hiss) so that your audio has a cleaner sound.

There is no way to remove background noise (like kids screaming and other racket) from an audio track while maintaining the main audio. That's why it's pretty common in Hollywood to "loop" or re-record dialogue for a scene shot in a public place or in high wind.

• 2. Re: Using DeNoiser
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Robyn,

As Steve G. points out, only so much can be done to eliminate unwanted sounds. De-Noiser will not give you much benefit.

I use Adobe Audition (a very powerful pro audio editing program), but even then, much will depend on both the frequency range of the unwanted audio, and that of the audio that you wish to keep. The use of a Parametric Equalizer can be beneficial, though only to certain levels. If your unwanted audio overlaps that which you wish to retain, there is not anything that can be done, as you will also be eliminating frequencies, that you want.

The freeware audio editor, Audacity, might be useful, to a degree. Much experimentation will be required, along with a bunch of critical listening. I believe that Audacity will allow for the use of VST plug-ins, and there are a bunch of free EQ VST's available. [Audition comes with many, and will use others.] Still, if there is overlap, there is nothing that can be done.

Depending on what part of the audio spectrum you wish to retain, you might want to look at boosting, say the 250Hz range (adult speech +/-) and cutting some of the higher frequencies (child's voice), and see what you can do to clean up the audio. Constant wind is usually outside of the 250Hz range, though not all of it. By "gating" your audio with an EQ, you might be able to bring adult speech forward, and drop other frequencies down, without loosing too much adult speech.

Good luck, and make sure that you have a good pair of headphones, and some time on your hands,

Hunt