19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 9:57 PM by jackscon joseph

slide shows in pe8

purdydal

I have created a slide show from digital photos in Photoshop elements8,added titles with text,sum zooms and pans and a soundtrack.

I saved the sideshow then used the output command and sent the slide show to premiere elements8 for further editing.

pe8 opened and the new product screen opened,it then transferred the media,to the rh panel and the timeline.

when playing the slide show I found all the text had changed style,and any vertical slides were still vertical but the picture had been turned through 90.

breaking open the slide show shows all the vertical pictures turned through 90 except the ones containing text.

the operating system was windows vistor, in the last 3 days have changed to windows7 but it is still the same result

I have had the case in with adobe for about 5 weeks but they have not come back.

• 1. Re: slide shows in pe8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

This is the condensed version, but later if necessary

Please detail:

Contents of slideshow:

a. photos, how many and pixel dimensions

b. videos, source, format, and duration

c. audio, source, format, and duration

d. what transitions

e. total length of slideshow

Computer Resources, Windows Vista and Windows

Available RAM

Free hard drive space

Computer optimized, defragmented, etc.

ATR

• 2. Re: slide shows in pe8
            Barb__O Level 4

In addition to ATR's questions, I suggest you post some additional details about the choices you made when making the slide show in the Elements Organizer 8 slide show editor

1 -- which Font (or Fonts) did you use for the text on the slides ?

Why did I ask : I am wondering if you chose a font that is not available within Premiere Elements.

That can happen with transitions and maybe it can happen for fonts.

2 -- what type of photo files did you use - jpeg, psd, tiff ?

Why did I ask : for information, no specifc reason to suspect that any specific type of file would cause the problem

3 -- "breaking open the slide show shows all the vertical pictures turned through 90 except the ones containing text"

3A I suggest that you identify a vertical (portrait mode) photo that had this turned 90 problem, go back to  the Elements Organizer and look in the Properties for that photo at the complere metadata information.  Do those properties show that there is an Orientation indicator in the metadata?

3B Optionally now , you could try a workaround or you could wait until your response for 3A is evaluated.

As a workaround you can try initiating an edit of the photo back in the Photoshop Elements Editor which does a rotate and then see if when the slide in Premiere Elements is replaced by the rotated in PSE editor photo, it will stay in its proper position. When doing such an edit, I would save the result in a version set in order to preserve the prior photo file.

Why did I ask : looking for a specific pattern in the photos that cause this problem. Identifying whether this only happens for photos which have an oreintation indicator in the metadata or whether it happens for all  vertical photos may help to develop a circumvention for you.

3C really curious that the photos with text stay correctly vetitcal.

Please look at the Premiere Elements Timeline for a photo with text that stays vertical, does it show the text on a higher level track than the photo OR does it show the text superimposed on top of the photo.

Why did I ask : looking for a clue as to why the photos with text were OK- maybe it would offer an idea for a circumvention for the other photos

• 3. Re: slide shows in pe8
              purdydal Level 1

thanks for your help up to now

the slide shows has 150photos  set at 6 secs  total length of slide show 14.28 mins.

from metdata each photo jpeg,width 3888,height 2592.res 72.0   file size 3.4mb

in the camera information there is a orientation. rotate 90.

the text i used in the titles was ms serif.

the transitions used were fade and the time set to 2 secs

the sound track used was mp3  the adjusted slides to soundtract command was used.

the show plays ok in photo elements8 and i have burned to dvd using pe8 and this is ok.

when transferred to prem8 al the photos on the timeline are in correct portrait or landscape but in the portrait slides the content is turned 90 except in any that had text on them.

i have done slide shows before in pshope 5. and pe3 and not had this prob.

i first used pse8,pe8 on windows vistor  but in the last 3 days have changed to windows7 still the same prob.

i have made a slide show with 4 slides 2 portrait 2 landscape the same happens this was sent to adobe 4 weeks ago but no reply yet

the ram  is  4.0gb

430gb free of 581gb

• 4. Re: slide shows in pe8
                Barb__O Level 4

purdydal wrote:

thanks for your help up to now

the slide shows has 150photos  set at 6 secs  total length of slide show 14.28 mins.

from metdata each photo jpeg,width 3888,height 2592.res 72.0   file size 3.4mb

in the camera information there is a orientation. rotate 90.

the text i used in the titles was ms serif.

the transitions used were fade and the time set to 2 secs

the sound track used was mp3  the adjusted slides to soundtract command was used.

the show plays ok in photo elements8 and i have burned to dvd using pe8 and this is ok.

when transferred to prem8 al the photos on the timeline are in correct portrait or landscape but in the portrait slides the content is turned 90 except in any that had text on them.

i have done slide shows before in pshope 5. and pe3 and not had this prob.

i first used pse8,pe8 on windows vistor  but in the last 3 days have changed to windows7 still the same prob.

i have made a slide show with 4 slides 2 portrait 2 landscape the same happens this was sent to adobe 4 weeks ago but no reply yet

the ram  is  4.0gb

430gb free of 581gb

I am suspecting that your current problem with the portrait mode photos is version 8 specific. So I have a suggested additional test in this post to be done for the purpose of troubleshooting.

I don't have any specific suggestions about the Font yet. Perhaps at some point it would be worthwhile to try using the ms serif font directly in Premiere Elements 8 to see if that works.

FYI - the resolution of your photos is fairly high for use in a slide show. However, since that is not currently suspect as being a reason for your problem, I would suggest experimenting with the current photo files as is. Then in the future you could change your process to downsize the photo resolution of the files that are copies of your originals/edited photos.

Specifics for the Portrait mode photos:

Relevevant to the above statement on what worked, I think that you specfically used Premiere Elements 8 to do only the DVD authoring and burn the DVD.   Yes?

I think it would be interesting to do another test with about 4 slides.

In the v8 Organizer first make a copy of one of the photos with portrait orientation, then using the Organizer thumbnail for the copy, rotate 90 degreess in either direction and then rotate back in the other direction.  Then look at the Organizer Properties information to see whether it still shows Rotate 90: it is very possible that it will show no orientation info now and that is OK. Next make your small slideshow using both this copy photo (rotated 90 and back) and its original in the slideshow with no text on either.    Send this slide show to Premiere Elements as you did previously.  Report what is shown on the PE timeline.  (note: the PE timeline may still be bad, but IF it is good this would be a circumvention.)

• 5. Re: slide shows in pe8
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Should you decide to resize your stills, this ARTICLE will give you some tips on doing so with automation in PS/PSE.

I find that doing this before creating a SlideShow is preferable for both quality and also for handling ease/speed. Now, I must point out that my SlideShows are all created in my NLE (Non Linear Editor), so the quality might not be an issue, when using PSE to begin with. I resize to just what I will need, based on my Project's Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: slide shows in pe8
                    Barb__O Level 4

purdydal,

A change to my original suggestion

It probably does make sense to downsize the resolution of the copy of your photos for your 4 (or just a few more) test. Why? That should eliminate from the discussion that the higher resolution as the cause of the problem.

Now the question becomes what pixel dimensions to use for the resize. Presuming that the photo file you use in the slideshow has proportions of width to height of 3:4 and your Premiere Elements project is Standard Definition, you could just reverse the generally recommended numbers using a height of 1000 pixels and a width of 750 pixels. That seems like somewhat overkill so I might try by 600 width by 800 height. For this test with a few photos, you could use the Image Resize for each photo in the PSE Editor before starting the PSE Organizer slideshow editor. (Other alternatives for resizing such as Process Multiple Files in the PSE Editor or File > Export as new files in the Organizer can be discussed later.).

Hunt,

I read your linked article and I have some questions

--  How does your process handle portrait mode photos?

You mention cropping individually and I agree that I almost always do that - but I have seen many posts from people who do not. However, even for an individual photo crop sometimes the crop of a portrait photo does not use the full width of the screen. So I don't understand how your resizing process handles that situation.

-- FYI - I think your actions and process contain some functions that are not supported in Photoshop Elements editor, such as converting the PAR of the pixels. So when starting from the Photoshop Elements slide show editor, I believe that conversion is done after the slide show arrives in Premiere Elements.  (I am not suggesting that your process is wrong: merely raising the point that I don't think it can be used as is for the workflow of starting a slideshow in Photoshop Elements.)

• 7. Re: slide shows in pe8
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

--  How does your process handle portrait mode photos?

You mention cropping individually and I agree that I almost always do that - but I have seen many posts from people who do not. However, even for an individual photo crop sometimes the crop of a portrait photo does not use the full width of the screen. So I don't understand how your resizing process handles that situation.

Barb__O,

If I am using portrait oriented photographs, I do one of two things:

1.) Crop to the 4:3, or 16:9 (PAR is set to what is appropriate)

2.) Use the full portrait image over a horizontally oriented "background" image. For this, I usually create an abstract background image, and place the portrait image onto it. Here, the sizes are 480 pixels for the height (given an SD/DV Project). I also have an ARTICLE on creating an animated "background" image for use with portrait images.

Hope that this hepls,

Hunt

• 8. Re: slide shows in pe8
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        -- FYI - I think your actions and process contain some functions that are not supported in Photoshop Elements editor, such as converting the PAR of the pixels. So when starting from the Photoshop Elements slide show editor, I believe that conversion is done after the slide show arrives in Premiere Elements.  (I am not suggesting that your process is wrong: merely raising the point that I don't think it can be used as is for the workflow of starting a slideshow in Photoshop Elements.)

Barb__O,

I appreciate those comments. I only use PS and have never even seen PSE in operation. I know that there are differences between the two programs, like the SlideShow function in PSE (missing in PS), but do not know all of these.

Thanks for pointing out some more differences.

Hunt

• 9. Re: slide shows in pe8
                          jackscon joseph Level 1

"when playing the slide show I found all the text had changed style,and any vertical slides were still vertical but the picture had been turned through 90.

This is beacuse of orientation tag. Photoshop elements supports orientation tag. What is mean by orientation tag, if you rotate and take picture in camera it would be rotated automatically  after import in to organizer. Organizer can recoganize this tag from camera metadata. PRE does not support orientation tag, so that orientation tag applied images are rotated after importing in to PRE. You can create  slide show in PSE using the orientation tag is off or break apart the slideshow and change the orientation in Premiere elements.

• 10. Re: slide shows in pe8
                            Barb__O Level 4

jackscon joseph wrote:

"when playing the slide show I found all the text had changed style,and any vertical slides were still vertical but the picture had been turned through 90.

This is beacuse of orientation tag. Photoshop elements supports orientation tag. What is mean by orientation tag, if you rotate and take picture in camera it would be rotated automatically  after import in to organizer. Organizer can recoganize this tag from camera metadata. PRE does not support orientation tag, so that orientation tag applied images are rotated after importing in to PRE. You can create  slide show in PSE using the orientation tag is off or break apart the slideshow and change the orientation in Premiere elements.

jackson joseph,

Please confirm if this circumvention that I mentioned earlier will avoid the problem.

In the v8 Organizer first make a copy of one of the
                            photos with portrait orientation, then using the Organizer thumbnail
                            for the copy, rotate 90 degreess in either direction and then rotate
                            back in the other direction.  Then look at the Organizer Properties
                            information to see whether it still shows Rotate 90: it is very
                            possible that it will show no orientation info now and that is OK.
                            • 11. Re: slide shows in pe8
                              Barb__O Level 4

purdydal,

In thinking about this more, it seems more practical for the slide show that you have in progress to do the Break Apart of the slide show in Premiere Elements and change the orientation there.

In the future I think I would do the rotates back on the Organizer, but that is a personal choice. 

For doing the rotates in the Organizer, here is an additional consideration.

There is an Organizer Preferences setting that should be unchecked in order to achieve the desired rotation results and clearing of the Orientation  as a result of the rotates. Verify its setting before doing the rotates.

The options Edit > Preferences > Files > Rotate JPEGs/TIFFs
                              Using Orientation Metadata tell PSE whether to rotate an image by using
                              the EXIF Orientation field or by rotating the actual image.  If you
                              have those options checked, then rotating an image left and then right
                              will just change the Orientation field and won't have the effect you
                              want, which is to rotate the actual image.
                              • 12. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                purdydal Level 1

i have tried a slide show using slides with the orientation in pse set at

normal and this does work when sent to pe8.if i take the ticks out in the

preference files in pse8 when loading sum new slides

the orientation still showed rotate at 90  is this correct.i took them out

for jpegs and tiffs.

• 13. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                  Barb__O Level 4

purdydal wrote:

normal and this does work when sent to pe8

I like good news.

purdydal wrote:

.if i take the ticks out in the

preference files in pse8 when loading sum new slides

the orientation still showed rotate at 90  is this correct.i took them out

for jpegs and tiffs.

Hmmmm   I am not immediatly sure: so I will do some additional experimenting.

• 14. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                    purdydal Level 1

in conclusion if you want to create a slide show which is only of digital photos it seems to me it is best created in pse8 the titles made there sum pan and zooms,and soundtrack.saved then sent to premiere elements just to be burned to the dvd and dvd menues.you do not have to resize the photos then.

• 15. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

purdydal

Sorry that I have not been following your thread and photo orientation issues. Other commitments have detoured me.

But, your concluding remarks that I just saw forced me to comment on them. Correct me if I have misread what you are saying. So, please check out the following comments.

It is risky business when you generalize and suggest that 150 photos with pixel dimensions of 3888 x 2592 pixels and heading for DVD-VIDEO (720 x 480 pixels) is a good practice. I have assumed that you had read the Steve Grisetti's classic FAQ on Photo Resolution and Premiere Elements

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/431851?tstart=0

If you create your slideshow in Photoshop Elements 8 Slide Show Editor and output the slideshow using the Edit in Elements Organizer command (the non .wmv route), then the burden (stress) of resizing to the standard NTSC DVD 720 x 480 (PAL 720 x 576) is on the Premiere Elements 8 side with all sorts of negative consequences. On the other hand, if you create your slideshow in Photoshop Elements 8 Slide Show Editor and output the slideshow Save As File Movie .wmv, save it, and bring that into Premiere Elements 8, the burden (stress) of resizing is on the Photoshop Elements 8 side in the writing of the .wmv (for which you have designated a file size = DVD-NTSC (720 x 480) or DVD-PAL (720 x 576). I have consistently observed that the potential for failure due to oversized photos increases with the number of oversized photos (impacted also by computer resources).

Your conclusion based on your specific situation may be specific for this current project, but I would question leaving it as a generalization for others.

ATR

• 16. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

To add to what ATR has posted, if one has a Project, let's take the NTSC Standard (4:3) PAR 0.9 720x480 as an example, then only 720x480 pixels can be displayed, regardless of the size of the images. Not one pixel more can be displayed. If one has oversized images, processing MUST take place. Pixels must be thrown out - every one over 720x480. This is done by the resizing algorithm in the program, whether it's in the PSE, or the PrE side of things. This will happen even if one is using 1000x750 (the recommended max. size, that will allow one to pan on a zoomed out image). The load on the system and the program increase as the size of the images increases. This is unavoidable.

With still images, I find that it's best to do this in the image editing program. There are two good reasons for this:

1.) in my experience (I use Photoshop, BTW, and not PSE), the resizing algorithms are better and have more controls to maintain quality

2.) the image editing program is working on one frame - the still image. In the NLE (Non Linear Editor), it's working on however many frames are needed for the Duration of the still image, say 10 secs @ 30 fps = 300 frames, not the one frame of the still in the image editing program. This amounts to 300x the amount of processing. That is a major load on the program and on the system, a 300x increase in processing and then one multiplies this by the number of stills. Do the math..

PrPro (PrE's big brother) has a 4000 pixel limit, in the largest dimension for still images. I'd guess that PrE is similar. I've seen too many heavy-duty workstations just shut down, when trying to process very many large images. The PrPro forum is full of such case studies. Once the still images are properly resized, the system flies and there are no hangs, crashes or even system shutdowns. Remember, you cannot use even one pixel more than the Frame Size of one's Project.

Just my thinking on the issue.

Hunt

• 17. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                          Barb__O Level 4

urdydal wrote:

in conclusion if you want to create a slide show which is only of digital photos it seems to me it is best created in pse8 the titles made there sum pan and zooms,and soundtrack.saved then sent to premiere elements just to be burned to the dvd and dvd menues.you do not have to resize the photos then.

you do not have to resize the photos then.

I agree with the comments from ATR and Hunt. I understand that you made that conclusion based on your expereince on this slide show. However, my expereince on the forums indicates that resizing the photos may be needed when using the workflow where Premiere Elements is used only to make the DVD menu and burn the video DVD.

There are reqularly posts on the Photoshop Elements fourms where the slide show editor Output command fails with full resolution photos.

Often with a slide show of hundred plus of full resolution photos, the Slide Show Editor can not complete the WMV file creation for either transfer to Premiere Elements for a burn to a video DVD or writing the WMV file to the hard drve for PC playback.  Resolution of photos, number of photos and computer resources at that precise moment are all factors in whether this will be successful: availability of space for Windows temporary files seems to be one critical factor within the PSE Organizer slide show editor.

Downsizing photo file resoultion or splitting the slide show in to multiple different projects and reassembling are the common solutions for this problem. Both solutions are more tedious to do after laying out all the photos and adding the pan/zoom and text. .

Barb

• 18. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                            Barb__O Level 4

Preferences settings and orientation indicators:

if i take the ticks out in the preference files in pse8 when loading sum new slides
                                            the orientation still showed rotate at 90  is this correct.i took them out for jpegs and tiffs.

I took a couple new jepg photos (so they were untouched by prior processing) and checked my results.

Yes after I imported photos taken with the camera set to use an orientation indicator, the Organizer Properties panel does show Orientation Rotate 90.

It was when I did the rotate command using the thumbnail within the Organizeer window,  that the Preference setting had an impact.

-- If the Preference setting is ON (checked), then it is only the orientation indicators within the photo file that are modified when doing the Rotate command.

-- If the Preference setting is OFF (unchecked), then the photo file contents are rotated. The Orientation is set to Normal and the width and height of the photo dimensions are modified (as seen in Organizer Properties and Windows Explorer).

Since your reported that

normal and this does work when sent to pe8

My conclusion is that for your portrait mode photos which have the Orientation indicator set in the photo file you need the Preference unchecked (off) and use of the Rotate command (twice) to get the condition that worked for you in PE 8.

FYI - Most cameras that I have seen which use an orientation indicator in the photo file have a setting where it can be turned on or off.  Now I am not suggesting that you should turn it off because that is your personal preference.

• 19. Re: slide shows in pe8
                                              jackscon joseph Level 1

It is know issue in Premiere elements 8. Photoshop element using camera orientation feature to rotate image. This feature will active while capturing the image. Most of the new camera has tag for orientation. PRE does not support orientation.  You can do two things.

1. One create a slide show after turn off the orientation

2. Break part the slide show in PRE and change the orientation.