You might consider creating a thumbnail version and inserting that. Then create popups that display the full sized version if the user clicks the thumbnail.
Either popups or DHTML drop-downs should work.
Helpful and Handy Links
How can I do this in RH?
I've made a thumbnail, added it to the topic, then go to insert a hyperlink, but it only allows me to select topics, not images.
or does it have to be hand coded?
ahhhhh brilliant, didnt see that drop down up there....what can I say, 6pm on a Friday isn't the best time for work is it...
This does work rather well for web.....but I'm hitting an issue with printed documentation.
It will only print the thumbnail, not the main image....is there an easy way around this, or do I need to add the image to the topic, set it as a conditional build only for printed documentation? Its one way, and quite a long way....perhaps.....
I'm noticing another issue with larger sized images. Because some of them are quite big, when they are clicked the popup is larger than the screen, and even thoughs croll bars are added tehy are somtimes present below the existing screen, meaning you have to scroll down, but when youtry to scroll down, the mouse click is registered and it closes the pop up window......
slightly annoying. and im sure users will not appreciate this at all.is tehre any way to position where to popup will display in relation to the window borders or something?
Re print, thank goodness it only prints what is in the topic. Imagine what would happen if RH stopped and inserted whatever is in a link. Either you will have to play with CBTs or change the plan. How about "Show me the screen" being a hotspot for the full image. Online users will not get the screen unless they click the link, your print layout can be set to included dropdown content.
If the images are too large for a screen, they will certainly be too large for print. Resize them.
See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips
Follow me @petergrainge
Solved. just incase any one else comes across this.
Well, the main cause for this questions was an issue with re-sized images not displaying clearly in some browsers and on some monitors.
I've found the reason.
When capturing images in robocapture and resizing them, the quality was being lost. So instead I was using photoshop to resize, and even though the final product looked fine on my machine, it wasn't the case on many many others.
This was because when opening a GIF in photoshop the color (set under Image > Mode) was being set to Indexed, not RGB. Once set to RGB and resized, the quality is maintained and things look much better now.
thankfully I can make a quick batch file to resize all the files correctly and using RGB.
brialliant. no need for pop ups or drop-down options, and printed docs will still be easy to produce.