3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 6:40 AM by Ned Murphy

pulling text from a .txt to a scroll pane or text area

Geoff008

Hi-

I'm sure there's a way to do this, but I'm not exactly fluent in ActionScript.

Basically, my whole website's going to be in Flash, but I want to be able to update one page (sort of a news/blog page) without having to edit the Flash file every time. I'm assuming the easiest way to do this would be to set up either a scroll pane or a text box and pull the text in from a .txt file (if there's a better way, please let me know). That way I could continue to add on to the .txt file, and Flash would always pull in the current version.

So, my issues are:

1. I have no idea where to start with the code for something like that. Is it a LoadVar? Do I physically put a scroll pane or a text area in the frame and put the action on that, or do I put the action on the frame and have it call up a text area component?

2. Will the text scroll automatically, or is that something else I would have to add in? I plan on adding to this text file for awhile, so it could end up being a lot of text over time.

3. Would I be able to format the text in the .txt at all? For instance, if I hit enter to put in a paragraph break, would that register once it's pulled into Flash, or would I have to put in an html paragraph break or something? That may be a dumb question, but as I said, I'm not exactly fluent in ActionScript (or any other programming language for that matter).

Any help is definitely appreciated!

Thanks!

-Geoff