1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 7, 2009 1:01 AM by Mylenium

HD Quality without an HD Dvd player

garek007 Level 1

Hi,

I'm new to authroing DVD's. I've figured out how to get Roxio Creator basic to make a DVD with menus, etc, but the quality is not great. My file is 720x480 pixels.

I'm wondering, is it even possible to get HD quality or close out of a regular DVD player? It's frustrating because I know the TV can do it (an LCD) but if I'm correct, I'm limited by the player. Is that right?

Is there a way I can 'res up' my movie and get it to look better on standard dvd?

Please advise, thank you!

• 1. Re: HD Quality without an HD Dvd player
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Is there a way I can 'res up' my movie and get it to look better on standard dvd?

No. You have to work within the specs of DVD(Video) and thus are bound to the specific resolutions and data rates. Any up-res magic will have to happen in the players and their chips - some do it better, some not so good. Of course a lot of this, like any compressed output, depends on the right settings for the compression and what tools you use (of which there are plenty), but without some visual reference, it will be hard to offer any pointers. Some snapshots would help (attach them with the camera icon). Generally, though, even cheap DVD burning/ authoring tools should have reached a level of sophistication that can deliver good quality, so what you are seeing may be utterly correct, it may only look 100 times as bad on your big screen because it brings out the compression patterns even more...

Mylenium