9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2009 10:28 AM by AccordionPlayer

Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?

AccordionPlayer

I've been using Premiere Elements 3.0 on my PC with Vista for some time, and it's acceptably fast. I've now installed Windows 7 (a clean installation), and installed Premiere Elements 8. It is just soooo slow by comparison. If I load a project, which consists of four long MPG clips, it takes around 10 minutes to get to the stage where I can edit - it's 'indexing' and 'conforming' during that time. It doesn't seem to save that information, so the next time I load the project, it indexes and conforms again. I'm now trying to export as an AVI file, and it's promising me something like 20 hours, whereas a similar video in 3.0 under Vista would take only three or so hours. (The whole timeline is about an hour long.) Everything on PRE 8 seems incredibly slow.

My PC is a Dell Dimension 9200, with a Core 2 CPU at 2.4 GHz, with 4GB RAM (obviously only 3GB usable), and a RAID 0 array of two 1 TB hard disks. Even though this is not the fastest, most recent spec, other applications (eg sound editing software) run like greased lightning. For what it's worth, the 'Windows Experience Index' for my PC is 5.5, with the processor/memory/graphics/primary hard disk coming in at 5.8 to 5.9.

Any ideas why Premiere Elements 8 is so slow on my PC? Is this just an endemic problem with this version with this spec PC compared with older versions, or am I unusual - do other people with equivalent spec PCs experience greater speeds? (Although I can see that the interface is different, presumably this version of PRE is doing more or less the same job when exporting the video to AVI as the older version?)

• 1. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements 8 does use a bit more resources than previous versions. And it might help if you shut down your Aero interface and some other Windows 7 processes that leech power. But, on your system, especially with Windows 7 (assuming it's 32-bit), it should run just fine. You might want to uninstall/reinstall and ensure you have the latest drivers for your video card and the latest version of Quicktime.

It's also possible your RAID setup is working against you. But I'll leave that to another RAID expert to comment on.

You also may want to shut down some of version 8's background processes and see if that makes a difference, per the FAQs to the right of this forum.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/503270?tstart=0

Finally, you don't say what kind of camcorder you're getting your video from, but that can make a BIG difference in performance -- and, in particular, how much time the program spends conforming and rendering your video files.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
            AccordionPlayer Level 1

Thanks for these suggestions. I've already disabled the background processes in PRE8, and in response to your suggestions I tried disabling the Win 7 visual effects, but it doesn't seem as if this makes any noticeable difference. I notice that only one processor core seems to be busy - near enough at 100% - whilst the other is nearly completely inactive. Don't know if there's anything I can do about this - Windows has both cores allocated to PRE8, so presumably PRE8 is only using one core as it sees the rendering as one process I guess.

The video is from a Sony digital Camcorder (a DCR-SR50E), although I don't know which specific codec it uses/needs. It did work much faster in version 3 of Premiere Elements, though - athough v3 did have to download a specific codec, whereas PRE8 seems to use a codec it already has installed.I've tried installing the latest Sony software for the Camcorder, in case that offers a quicker codec, but it doesn't make any difference. I've updated the nVidia driver, since I know there was a problem with an earlier nVidia driver reported by some people. Currently I have v191.07. My Quicktime is 7.6.4, which is fairly recent. I've also tried using a separate 1TB disk as the scratch disk instead of the RAID array. None of these make a noticeable difference.

What I might do is try transcoding the video from the camera before importing it into PRE8; I can probably find a way as doing this as a batch. Probably if I convert it all to AVIs or some other more common format than the Sony MPEG format, then PRE8 could well run quicker. I'll try that later and let you know if that speeds things up. If it doesn't, I may well revert to using version 3, since that seemed to run OK on the Win 7 Release Candidate.

So - thanks again for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

• 3. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
              Kodebuster Level 3

My suggestion would be to take your last thought on conversion to DV-AVI, and go with it.

With the mpeg format, PE will convert this internally to DV-AVI as this is the default workflow that PE will will use.

If you convert to AVI prior to import, this will eliminate the internal conversion and burden on your resources, and also negate the need to render for smooth viewing.

For me personally, when working with large mpeg timelines, PE just doesn't handle it very well.

I always convert to AVI which results in faster execution and hassle free editing.

Convert options can be found here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415317?tstart=0

Be aware that AVI will result in large files, about 13 gig per hour, but storage does not seem to be an issue in your case...

• 4. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Though you have probably already addressed most of these, this ARTICLE will give you tips on how get your computer ready for an NLE session.

The use of only one core is a bit troubling. When PrE 8 loads, do you see "Multi-core processor detected," or similar syntax?

On my laptop, with XP-Pro SP3 and PrE 4, I get full use of all four cores. With the same OS, PrPro 2.0 on my workstation, I see all 8 cores being used (do not have PrE on that computer).

Also, you mention RAID and a 1TB HDD. Please list the full specs. of your computer. There might be something there that will yield a performance clue.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                  Kodebuster Level 3

The issue with only one (1) core working hard is disturbing, especially if you see the Multi-Detection on the Splash screen (as Hunt stated).

I saw another post along these lines, but they never updated with a resolution, assuming they found one...

• 6. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                    AccordionPlayer Level 1

Well, I've got multiprocessing (both of the dual cores) working, by setting the priority of the process to 'Real time'. It was set at 'normal', and seemed to be only running one core flat out at that setting. Upping the process priority to 'Real time' gets both cores close to maximum most of the time. I suspect that might be a Win 7 thing interacting with a PRE8 thing (sorry - very untechnical there!) since v3 seemed to use both cores flat out on the Win 7 Release Candidate.

It's still quite slow compared with v3, and I guess I could live with that. I've tried using MPEG Streamclip to convert the source files from MPG to AVI, and will keep going with that to see how it goes, but...

PRE8 seems to insist on conforming the source files every time I start it up, MPEG or AVI alike, which means it's five or ten minutes before I can use it. I've tried moving the location of the media cache. I've deleted the media cache files and preview files. I've also tried deleting the media cache database - and that appeared to work one time only, in that on one occasion re-opening the project in PRE8 didn't require it to conform everything again, but after that first time it wants to conform it all again. I've looked elsewhere in the forums for advice on this conforming problem, but can't find any other suggestions. When I look at the media cache, there seem to be two copies of each .cfa file - one has a suffix _1 at the end of the file name, which naively I'm asssuming means that PRE8 has decided to conform the media again but instead of overwriting the original .cfa file has created a new file with the suffix - but of course, that could be completely wrong.

The processor is an intel Core 2 6600, running Win 7 32-bit.

I'm close to giving up and uninstalling to return to version 3.0. I was worried that 3.0 might not be stable under Win 7, although it seemed OK in the Release Candidate of Win 7. This version 8 seems quite unstable on my machine, and so going back to version 3 probably couldn't be worse. However, if anyone has more good ideas I'm very willing to try them before giving up, in case it sheds any light on the problem that might help others.

Thanks for your help so far, folks. Much appreciated.

Mark

• 7. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                      AccordionPlayer Level 1

A bit of additional info - as has been identified elsewhere, when PRE8 exits, it leaves the process running so that you can see it in Task Manager (see, for example, http://forums.adobe.com/message/2377148#504019). I notice on my system that this left-over process is using about 50% of CPU cycles, which means it must be fairly busy, even though I've stopped the AdobeActiveFileMonitor8.0 service. Perhaps that activity is also going on in the background whilst I am trying to edit with PRE8?

• 8. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I'm close to giving up and uninstalling to return to version 3.0. I was worried that 3.0 might not be stable under Win 7, although it seemed OK in the Release Candidate of Win 7.

Do make sure that you are running 3.0.2 (think that is correct?), as that update added Vista support to PrE 3.

PRE8 seems to insist on conforming the source files every time I start it up, MPEG or AVI alike, which means it's five or ten minutes before I can use it.

This behavior has been mentioned several times, and also seems all too common with PrPro CS4, up to CS4.1. I've seen some theories on what is happening, but nothing that is ironclad. I know that PrPro CS4.x has changed the way that some files are stored, with much more reliance on a C:\\My Documents location, regardless of where the Project, or the Scratch Disks are located in Edit>Preferences. Not sure why this change was made for the newer version of the program, but it seems that much more C:\ activity is now required. This might be similar in PrE 8. Also, this might, or might not, have any bearing on the constant conforming issues. I hope that someone from Adobe can finally shed light on what is going amiss  With past versions of both programs, the Conforming was done once, and unless the CFA, and/or PEK files were moved, or deleted, did not need to happen again. I just do not know what has changed and under what circumstances this "glitch" occurs.

Good luck, and please keep us updated. If I find some good, sound answers on the PrPro forum, I will post links to those discussions, especially if someone comes up with a real "fix."

Hunt

• 9. Re: Why is PRE 8.0 so slow on my Windows 7 installation?
                          AccordionPlayer Level 1

Update on my progress on this problem. I've bought an ATI card, and it seems to have completely solved the problem. Now PRE8 doesn't leave processes running on exit, and it operates at a reasonable speed - certainly usable and not noticeably different from my old setup of PRE3 running on Vista or XP, and I can start PRE8 through the Elements Organiser and it seems to work OK. (It's taken a while to get this solution running, as I bought a card online from Maplin which had a faulty fan, and it took them two weeks to refund the money so that I could buy another - I certainly can't blame that part of my problems on Adobe.)

The old card which was interacting badly with PRE8 was an nVidia GeForce 7900GS card. I've replaced it with an XFX HD 4670 card (ATI), which seems to do the job just fine. This solution only cost me about 50 UK Pounds, which was cheaper than buying another video product and means I can carry on using Premiere Elements instead of having to get to grips with another product. (And it does please me to have 'creatively' solved the problem by another route, although it didn't really take a lot of brilliance to work out that buying another video card might be a good solution.) I'm just glad I didn't have a lot of money invested in an expensive nVidia card.

Eventually I got a response from Adobe, who said they had been overwhelmed with web queries. They were responding to the problem of PRE8 insisting on conforming my video files every time it opened. Their advice was to open the Elements Organiser, and then under File/Catalog to choose first repair, and then optimize. I don't know if that, or the change of card, solved this part of the problem, but I pass the tip on in case it's useful.

Anyway - thanks for the helpful ideas.

My advice now, if anyone is having this problem of nVidia and PRE8 interacting badly, is - buy a new (ATI) graphics card!

Incidentally, I notice that there's not a fix on the Adobe website yet, or at least, no downloadable update for PRE8.

All the best

Mark