10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 7:18 AM by the_wine_snob

PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude

jbcooke Level 1

Until now I've done all my PE4 editing in a Dell 3000 desktop that successfully burned multiple projects and edits to DVD-Rs and -RWs) without a single failure. I'm now traveling, editing in my Dell Latitude laptop. Program runs fine, but attempts to "share" (burn) a project to DVD have failed in two ways:

1. When I try to burn to a DVD-RW that has a previous version of the same project, burned by my desktop. PE4 in the Latitude won't recognize that the disk is there. It says the "device is not ready."

2. When I try to burn to a new DVD-R, PE4 recognizes the disk, I enter the settings I want, but when I click "Burn," a window pops up that says "Adobe Premiere Elements has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." It asks me if I want to send a report on the problem. Doesn't matter if I click "Send" or "Don't send." Either way, PE4 shuts down.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Solution?

John B

• 1. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
          the_wine_snob Level 9
          1. When I try to burn to a DVD-RW that has a previous version of the same project, burned by my desktop. PE4 in the Latitude won't recognize that the disk is there. It says the "device is not ready."

This can be caused by several problems. One is that the media used is either not blank, or that the brand of media is not seen correctly by the burner. What brand of media are you using? Brands, such as Memorex, Ritek and TDK can yield such errors. Another issue can be with a drive that is not a fully certified "multi-drive," and the type of blank media is not recognized. What are the specs. of your burner in your laptop? Most current, fully-certified multi-drives, can function with almost all media types, though the brand of media can still be a major issue.

2. When I try to burn to a new DVD-R, PE4 recognizes the disk, I enter the settings I want, but when I click "Burn," a window pops up that says "Adobe Premiere Elements has encountered a problem and needs to shut down." It asks me if I want to send a report on the problem. Doesn't matter if I click "Send" or "Don't send." Either way, PE4 shuts down.

This can often happen when one's computer is stressed and resources are very low. Many programs are set to load upon bootup, and can rob resources. Many of these are totally unnecessary for functioning, i.e. "bloatware." Most pre-built computers have tons of this stuff upon delivery, and most can be removed to improve performance. This ARTICLE will give you some tips on tuning up your computer and setting it up for an NLE session - one of the most stressful operations that one can perform on a computer.

One additional problem can be with limited HDD space. It takes tons more space, than just the size of the output files. How much defragmented free space do you have on this laptop? Also, most laptops have but a single HDD, and this can cause issues, especially if the physical RAM is limited, and the OS must use great amounts of HDD space for the Page File. What are the full specs. of your laptop? That might well yield some clues.

This ARTICLE will give you tips on finding out what is happening, when the program hangs/shuts down.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
            the_wine_snob Level 9

The links in this ARTICLE might be useful too, though it was written for PrPro. PrE is very similar in many respects, so it would likely help to follow the troubleshooting tips.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
              Kodebuster Level 3
              When I try to burn to a DVD-RW that has a previous version of the same project, burned by my desktop. PE4 in the Latitude won't recognize that the disk is there. It says the "device is not ready."

If it's a an RW that has old data, you might want to try and Erase it outside of PE first. This should allow PE to see it as a blank disc.

The second issue with PE shutting down, provide details on the source videos.

A typical laptop usually has no where the level of resources and computing power that is found in desktops, which may be an issue. Another factor may be the video format your attempting to utilize...

• 4. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                If it's a an RW that has old data, you might want to try and Erase it outside of PE first. This should allow PE to see it as a blank disc.

Yes, erasing a used RW disc would be the first place to start. I do not know what PrE's capabilities are with RW discs. In Adobe Encore (a full-featured authoring program), I can erase used RW discs. I doubt that PrE will do this, but there are many other programs, like ImgBurn, that will do this just fine.

Good call Kodebuster,

Hunt

• 5. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                  John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You may also have a software conflict

To test that, tell PE to create a folder on your hard drive (with Encore, that would be creating an ISO) and then use something like the free http://www.imgburn.com/ to write to disc

Hopefully, someone with more PE experience will come along with detailed instructions

• 6. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

John,

I do not *think* that PrE can write an ISO (though ImgBurn can), but can Burn to Folder, which is similar, though that folder will be the DVD-compliant VIDEO_TS with the necessary files. From that, one can burn the physical DVD-Video, using ImgBurn directly (or other similar burning app.).

Hunt

• 7. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                      jbcooke Level 1

Hunt --

Thanks, as always for a prompt response.

SYSTEM RESOURCES: My Dell Latitude and 3000 desktop are very similar in resources and abilities. The Latitude HD has recently been defragmented. It has 21 GB free on an 80 GB disk. Both computers have 1 GB of RAM. Both are single processors. Desktop runs at 2.8 GHz, Latitude at 1.73 GHz. I doubt that the task of burning a 20 minute film to DVD is overreaching the resources of the Latitude, despite the somewhat slower processor.

Both computers have DVD plus-minus RW drives of identical capabilities, although they are made by different manufacturers. The drive in the Latitude is a Sony DVD + - RW DW-Q58A. Except for the present problem, it has burned CDs and DVDs (-Rs and -RWs) somewhat more reliably than the similar DV D + - RW drive in the desktop.

The new DVD-Rs I'm trying to write from the Latitude are Sony brand. The DVD-Rs and -RWs I've  written from the desktop were mostly Memorex. As I say, not a single write-failure in those operations, although I had many disks rejected just trying to write Memorex audio CDs in desktop.

We don't need to waste time addressing the Latitude's failure to re-write the DVD-RW. My immediate need is to write the newly-edited 20-minute movie to a new DVD-R. It's a film of Janis Joplin (I was her road manager) and I'm showing this film, with 3 others, at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame next Thursday (11/12).

Should I consider exporting the film from PE4 as an AVI (or other format)  file and then burning to DVD with a 3rd-party DVD burner? If so, I've been through PE4  Help at length and can't find any clear instructions on how to export as an AVI file. Only instructions I've found on exporting to the hard disk and then burning with 3rd-party program is the one you mention -- export to folder. I tried that once before and when I copied the files to DVD (in Sonic Record Now Plus,  as a "data disk") the DVD didn't play.

I am reading all responses closely. Thanks to all for the ideas. Meanwhile, I will read the ARTICLE  Hunt linked to...

John B

• 8. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                        the_wine_snob Level 9

For a 30 min. SD Project, the 21GB free-space should be enough, though not by all that much.

If you are getting problems, when attempting to Burn to Folder, it could be a space issue. One needs much more space, than just for the resulting file(s) for the DVD-Video.

As for Export, you can do this to DV-AVI Type II w/ 48KHz 16-bit PCM/WAV Audio. However, you will then need authoring software to get this file to a DVD-Video. Many use Sony's DVD Architect for this purpose. Personally, I use Adobe Encore, but it is only available bundled with PrPro CS4 now, and not as a stand-alone application.

I'd also suggest that you look at this ARTICLE, to get your laptop tuned up and ready for an NLE session. You might be able to wring just a bit more performance out of it. If possible, I would also clean up the C:\, as much as is possible.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - One of the biggest issues with Memorex is that one can get discs from several mfgr's. in the same spindle. Some will work fine, and then others will just flat not work - same spindle!

1 person found this helpful
                        • 9. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                          jbcooke Level 1

Well, as it turned out, the resources (amount of RAM, free disk space) of my Latitude laptop were not the problem. Before undertaking a detailed tune-up of the disk or running msconfig to free up more RAM, I decided to test my DVD drive by burning something not with APE4 but with Sonic Record Now Plus (2004), my regular CD/DVD burning software. It wouldn't do a simple DVD-copy procedure, and from a warning screen that popped up while I was investigating the problem, I learned that a driver file shared by Sonic RNP had become defective. I deleted the program and all Sonic-related files, rebooted, and APE4 happily burned a DVD from my current film project. Problem solved.

• 10. Re: PE4 won't burn DVD in Latitude
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            I deleted the program and all Sonic-related files, rebooted, and APE4 happily burned a DVD from my current film project. Problem solved.

Great news and thank you for reporting your cure!

Appreciated, and happy editing and burning,

Hunt