5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 6:29 PM by uxk

primitive shapes

uxk Level 1

Hi,

I understand the difference between a shape and a primitive in Flash.  A shape is editable while to edit a primitive, we need to either double click it so that it is editable or we can use the property panel to affect its size etc. In what circumstances do we make use of a shape and when do we make use of primitive precisely. Please advise.

Thank you

• 1. Re: primitive shapes
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

if you're asking about the difference between a rectangular primitive vs a regular rectangle and an oval primitive vs a regular oval, the difference is you can edit more features in the properties panel of the primitives after drawing than you can the regular shapes after drawing.

• 2. Re: primitive shapes
            Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP Level 2

Using either resources depends on your actually need in the project, The primitives give you more control to the object while keeping its nature as a shape. in some case you need to keep the object as a shape to be able to easily edit it without the need to enter it in case it is a movie clip such as catroon backgrounds in cartoon animation.

In the same time, when you draw shapes over each other it gets connected and intersected, but if you have a primitive or drawing object, you can gain the both advantages of  movie clips and the fixibility of shapes.

Hope this helps!!

Rafiq

• 3. Re: primitive shapes
              uxk Level 1

Hi,

It seems that I cannot scale up a symbol while animating it using motion tween. We should imperatively use classic tween.

I do not see the importance of the new motion tween CS4. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you

• 4. Re: primitive shapes
                Rafiq Elmansy, AEL, ACP Level 2

Hi,

To do the scale using the new motion tweening:

1- create a symbol on the stage

2- expand the layer frames

3-right-click the layer and choose motion tweening

4- move the maker to another frame on the motion and select the scale tool and scale it. you can also right-click the motion and choose Insert keyframe > Scale.

5- you cna still do this while doing another motion or animation.

Actually, the old motion tweening was not following the known animation concept know in other programs such as Premier and After Effect. therefore, the new animation should be more standarized with other animation tools. Also, the new motion gives you more capabilites such as auto-adding keyframes, two types of the main keyframe of the animation and the properties changing keyframe.

also, the new motion tweening gives you an impressive feature, which is the motion editing graphs, these graphs are a key feature to excel with your animation and give you more capabilities for real and professional animation. We used to see these in After Effects for more complex animation. The new motion tweening is more complaint with AS3 so you can expand your animation capabilities if you know how to handle it with code.

Generally, I myself not familiar with the new motion in the beginning, but with the time I get used to it.

hope this helps

Rafiq

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: primitive shapes
                  uxk Level 1

Thank you Rafiq. That works