12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2012 7:11 PM by Zoop studio

Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?

kylerobertson@hotmail.com

Hi folks,

I have recently purchased a CANON Vixia HF20 camcorder with an internal harddrive that outputs ".mts" files.

I own a DELL Inspiron 1525.

My processor is an: Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3400 @2.16GHz  2.17GHz

Memory (RAM):  3.00Gb

System type:  32-bit operating system

Windows Vista Home Premium

I've used Adobe Premiere Pro in the past (non-HD files not on this computer) and enjoy it thouroughly.

I was hoping to use it again, but the specifications seem to suggest my processor speed is too slow.

I'm looking for some advice:

1)  Will CS4 operate on this computer?  And if so, would I be able to edit the .mts files?

2)  Is there anything I can do to this laptop (upgrades/hardware purchases) that I can do that would enable me to edit these files?

3)  If this isn't going to work, do you know of other editing software that I could use to edit .mts files on this computer?  (I'm reluctant to purchase a desktop after recently buying this computer).

Your insights would be most appreciated.  My thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Kyle

• 1. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
          Jim_Simon Level 8

Best way to know is to actually try it and observe the results.

• 2. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
            kylerobertson@hotmail.com Level 1

I should note that I don`t own Adobe Premiere Pro (CS4), nor will the trial version enable you to edit HD .mts files.

Thanks,

Kyle

• 3. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Ah.  That makes a difference.

Well, there is a 30 day return period, so the same advice still holds.  The only way to know for sure how well it'll work is to actually try it.

• 4. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                Harm Millaard Level 7
                1)  Will CS4 operate on this computer?  And if so, would I be able to edit the .mts files?

Yes. No, not really.

2)  Is there anything I can do to this laptop (upgrades/hardware purchases) that I can do that would enable me to edit these files?

No.

3)  If this isn't going to work, do you know of other editing software that I could use to edit .mts files on this computer?  (I'm reluctant to purchase a desktop after recently buying this computer).

You may purchase Cineform Prospect HD and convert your material to Cineform format.

In addition you need more memory and a couple of (e)SATA 7200 disks.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                  slackah Level 1

I heard Sony Vegas is way better with AVCHD than PPro. I have edited AVCHD on my laptop and it did the job, although the performance was a bit slow cause specs aren't that great,

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Probably the best option would be to build a laptop for NLE work. The Sager line offers machine, such as THIS. With a fast processor, plenty of RAM and multiple fast, large HDD's, you should have no problems, other than screen real estate, but you can add a second monitor to the nVidia cards.

My Sager has 3x 200GB 7200RPM SATA II's, and there are bigger units now available.

The Sagers are not cheap, but with the money spend wisely (no SLI, etc.), you should be able to get a stout unit.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                      kylerobertson@hotmail.com Level 1

Thanks everyone.  I'm going to give Sony Vegas a whirl until I can get a computer fast enough for CS4.  Appreciate the insights.

• 8. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I'm going to give Sony Vegas a whirl until I can get a computer fast enough for CS4.

Sony's Vegas gets some good reviews (obviously fewer in THIS forum), and many love it. It's one of the few NLE's, that I have never used.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                          LanceWis1 Level 1

Hi,  I just went searching the forum under "Laptop" and saw your response, which was from +3 years ago, so I don't know if things have changed or not.

I am running CS4 on an HP Pavillion laptop. Dual core, 64 bit.  extra memory on display card.   I am also importing AVCHD/ .mts files from a vixia cam but from solid state memory.  My performance is not great now, but it was better earlier.  Lately something has occurred in the laptop which is making all my software run poorly.  So  my display during editing is not great, but the rendered final product is fine.  On the other hand, I am also running Premier 5.0 and 5.5 on faster/better desktop unit and have some of the same performance issues -- mostly in the display.  so let me ask these questions please as I try to figure out what I have the right to expect even under good circumstances.

What is the single biggest problem for a laptop to run Premiere 4.5 editing AVCHD/ .mts?

Is it the processing power?

Is it the video display tech?

Is the problem worse with AVCHD files (does the high efficiency with the compression/file size mean it takes more to process and display)?

Is it any better with Premiere 5.0 or 5.5 or 6.0?

Is there anything compromised by the fact that I have a  single hard drive?  I.e. if I could separate the app from the video files and/or the preview files, does this generally help?  What about page/virtual memory allocation?  I ask this because of the lack of display quality on my faster desktops as well running Premiere 5.0 and 5.5.

In general, what I want to know is if most editors are seeing true 30 fps display of their video most of the time WHILE they are editing with Premiere, on ANY hardware?

thanks much for any help you can provide,

Lance W

• 10. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Lance,

AVCHD (or any H.264 material), will require a lot of CPU horsepower to edit smoothly.

On most laptops, the next bottleneck will be single HDD's. A 3x I/O w/ SATA connections and 7200 RPM speed, will be an improvement.

Next, many laptops use Intel HD graphics chips, and the driver support is horrible. A CUDA-capable, MPE hardware-enabled nVidia chip w/ updated drivers would be much better.

Besides the Sager, I also like the ADK units: http://www.adkvideoediting.com/laptop.asp

With either supplier, you can go with a much faster CPU, a 3x HDD I/O, a capable nVidia chip and quite a bit more RAM, than many other laptop mfgrs. Neither is cheap, but for a video-editing laptop, I am not aware of anything better.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                              LanceWis1 Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for your great suggestions.  I am a bit confused about your hard drive suggestion:  Is "A 3x I/O w/ SATA connections and 7200 RPM speed" an internal or external drive?  I bought the laptop with an eSATA external drive connection.  If I hook up an external 7200 rpm eSATA hdd, could I expect better performance?  Should I copy the avchd files to it for editing?  Where would you write the preview and other temp files, and does it matter?  do I have control over that?  Other page and virtual memory assignments?

Finally, if I pre-process the AVCHD files through Adobe Media Encoder and convert them to some other HD format first, will I have better luck editing?  Which formats -- of those  available in Premiere/Encoder -- would you recommend?  I know transcoding is an extra step, but that might be the price of remote editing with the laptop.

Thanks again,

Lance

• 12. Re: Is editing HD (.mts files) on a laptop possible?
                                Zoop studio Level 1

I have also worked with Grassvalley Edius or Neo, very nice and works with these new filetypes on a old PC.