18 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2009 9:41 AM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 Trouble

Gabetheimpaler

Alright I have Adobe Premeire Elements 8 on a HP DV6500 Notebook Pc(Laptop), It has AMD-Turion 64X2 TL-58 with a 1.90 Ghz speed. 2 gb of ram, 160 gb harddrive, with 40% free. and Nvidia Graphics Card maybe like 256 mb. not sure though.

My question: The system requirements say 2.0 Ghz processor speed. I am .1 off.

Does that make a difference with this software?

Reason i ask: The software constantly freezes and force quits, which makes me question my computer's capabilities? I will be simply editing a 1 min  clip before it freezes and i am forced to end task.

What can i do to help this problem? any suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Try in that forum http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere/premiere_elements

But, without knowing that HP, I will guess your problem is trying to edit with only one hard drive... and most likely a 5400 rpm drive since that is the "usual" one for a laptop

Also, when you go to the correct forum, more details will be good

This is aimed a Premiere Pro, but may help
          First, work through all of the steps here http://ppro.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting
          If your problem isn't fixed after you follow all of the steps, report back with the DETAILS asked for in the questions at the end of that link

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
            the_wine_snob Level 9

John's pointed you to the correct forum, and I'll be looking for your post there.

In the meantime, the minimum requirements are basically to get the program to launch. Getting it to actually edit with the min. specs. is iffy, at best.

I also strongly agree on the single HDD. Even if your CPU can squeak by, that HDD will be a major limiting factor. Also, remember that you'll want at least 30 GB of free, defragmented HDD space. I'd recommend at least 50GB free, though, IIRC 25GB is the stated min. on a 7200RPM HDD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
              -Subbi Adobe Employee

There are problems reported with  Nvidia Graphics Card, So i would recommend you to go thru this post and check if you see any improvements.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2369282#2369282

EM

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                Gabetheimpaler Level 1

Alright, i see where this is going, time for a new pc. ima try the nvidia graphic troubleshooting and report back,

Will let you all know whats up.

gabriel

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Gabriel,

If you do go the new computer route, the links in this ARTICLE might be useful to you. Harm Millaard is the hardware guru on the PrPro CS4 forum.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is another ARTICLE with links to another of Harm's pieces on setting up a 64-bit OS.

Good reading,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                      Kodebuster Level 3

I've been down this path in the past, although it was with PE4, and not PE8.

A number of obstacles are in place with this setup, that will make it hard for success:

This laptop is seriously underpowered to run PE, as most laptops have no where the resources to run PE comfortably.

You may have limited success if you convert your video to a fully decompressed format, like DV-AVI, prior to import into PE.

Even then, if the project is of any decent size, it will take literally hours on end to transcode and burn to Disc, or Folder.

As I said, I've been down the underpowered laptop path with PE4, and I'm sure that PE8 is more resource intense than any older version.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that it will be a challenge, and it will get ugly real quick...

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                        I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that it will be a challenge, and it will get ugly real quick...

I agree. Most laptops are very poor choices for NLE work, and ones that can handle it, are very expensive. I needed the portability, so I bit the $-bullet and went with a Sager, set up just for NLE work. It cost as much as my full-tower workstation, and still lacked the 6 SATA II HDD's (only could fit in 3). Still, if one must have a laptop, and needs to do NLE work, I strongly recommend the Sager units. They are designed for heavy-duty gaming, but allow one to configure for NLE work. Don't waste money on things like SLI, or Crossfire graphics cards, and put the $'s into HDD's, RAM and a top-line CPU.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                          Gabetheimpaler Level 1

Hey thanks for the info guys. Ive been reading.

Well it turns out that i may have to go with HP or DELL, because my mother gets discount because she is a state employee.

which means i can get a nice comp w/o so much $$$.

anyway, Ima post a link of what i want, let me hear some suggestions. thanks.

P.S. -Does windows 7 have problems running PrE8?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/rts_desktop/rts_desktop/1/storefronts/EPP_00_NY552AA%25 23ABA

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do

Im still looking around, but do u think the above pc's are capable of running PrE8 Happily?

thanks again guys.

gabriel

• 10. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Gabriel,

The one thing that I would do to customize either:

Get a fast 320 - 500 GB C:\, and then 2x 1TB additional HDD's. Three physical HDD's are a great starting place. Allocate your C:\ to the OS, programs, and then a static Windows Virtual Memore (Page File) of about 2.5x the installed physical RAM. Set up your second physical HDD to media only, and place all Projects + Scratch Disks to your third physical HDD.

Note the word "physical." This is very, very important, as you do NOT want to partition any HDD.

Other than that, each looks good, but I am not sure which will allow such a configuration. It appears that the second link offers the capabilities to do so, but the links do not go into a ton of detail. Go for a smaller, faster HDD for your OS, and then two larger HDD's (all physical, and not logical) for your media and for your Projects + Scratch Disks.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                              Gabetheimpaler Level 1

Alright I see what your saying. My question is, Will the results be the same, if i were to buy an external HDD? cus like u said, im not sure if they allow such configurations, but i am gonna try.

like if i get the 1 Tb hdd and then an external 1 tb hdd, u think that will be enough for editing, chopping, writing dvd's?

thanks.

gabriel

• 12. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Will the results be the same, if i were to buy an external HDD? cus like u said, im not sure if they allow such configurations, but i am gonna try.

One can edit to/from a fast (FW-800, or eSATA) external, but having multiple internals will boost things greatly. I'd say that 2x internals would be minimum, while some would say that 3x would be their minimum.

Having a single internal and an external will probably get you by, but your system will still be trying to do an awful lot on one internal HDD. The heads can only be in one place at a time. You will have the OS wanting reads/writes for itself, and for its Virtual Memory (Page File). The program will also demand reads/writes. Something has to wait. Even having, say the Project and the media on the external, plus the Scratch Disks will not help with that one stressed internal.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                  Gabetheimpaler Level 1

Ok, ima see if i can customize two hardrives. Do u have an experience with Windows 7?

my friend was running it for a couple days but he said it made his comp slower , and a bunch of error boxes would pop up.

And i think he said it requires alot of memory space for it too.

do u think i should just stick with vista?

• 14. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

An upgrade from Vista to Windows 7 is usually a wise move, Gabe.

But, by all means, run Microsofts Windows 7 Compatibility software first to ensure your system is fully supported or you might well have the problems your friend is experiencing!

If all is in order -- and it likely will be -- you'll see lots of great benefits to Windows 7.

• 15. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                      Gabetheimpaler Level 1

Hey guys, hope all had a good thanksgiving.

anyway, i was talking with a friend and recomended this site, which has very good prices and computers.

I am looking and one, tell me what u think about the specs. is the processor fast enough?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227200

• 16. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                        Gabetheimpaler Level 1

it also seems like it has enough slots for me to upgrade.

another question, the optical drive says RW, will i still be able to burn dvd's and play them on standard players, or is the format not allow?

• 17. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

I've used NewEgg for several hardware purchase, and have been very pleased by both the prices and the service. Many others have reported the same. I have yet to hear any bad things, but they might well exist.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Premiere Elements 8 Trouble
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

The ability of your burner to handle different types of blank media will depend on that particular burner/drive. If it is a certified "Multi-drive," then it should handle almost everything you can throw at it. If not, then I'd go to the mfgr's Web site, plug in your model number and see what it says. Most newer burners are Multi-drives.

Also, be aware that some software can reconfigure your burner, so that the OS sees it as being limited to a particular medium. An example of this is if one uses Quicken (accounting software) and chooses to Backup to CD, Quicken will invoke either an installed packet-writing module, like Nero's InCD, or Roxio's DLA. If none of these exists, it will invoke the Windows DVD creator module, and tell it to always see this drive as a CD drive, for Quicken to use. All of a sudden, Adobe programs, and even the OS, now thinks that the drive is exclusively a CD drive, even if it's not. This can get very confusing, as one does not normally think of an accounting program as one that might "hook" a DVD drive, but it can. I'm sure that there are many other examples.

For burner issues, this FAQ from the Encore Forum, might give you some tips.

Good luck,

Hunt