2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 2:52 PM by the_wine_snob

Premiere Elements 8 on an older system

TriffidSK1

Hi there

I'm looking at upgrading to Premiere Elements 8 & Photoshop Elements 8, but have an older 1.8Ghz system.

Looking at the system requirements, it mentions a min 2.0Ghz for Premiere Elements 8, but I wonder if it would still be useable at 1.8Ghz?

I will look to upgrade my system in the next 6 months, but wonder whether I can get by at 1.8Ghz in the meantime?

If anyone has any thoughts/experience with this, it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Triffid

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 8 on an older system
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Best advice for any software is to take the minimum listed requirements and double them. That's certainly the case here.

Premiere Elements 8 is very intensive -- even more so if you're trying to edit something other than miniDV footage. I wouldn't try to run it on less than 3.0 ghz Pentium with 2 gigs of RAM, but ideally at least a dual-core 2.6 ghz with 4 gigs of RAM (a quad core processor if you plan to edit AVCHD).

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 8 on an older system
            the_wine_snob Level 9

I agree with Steve. The minimum requirements are basically to just get the program to run, and not much more. Because PrE 8 has a few additional features, it will require more than previous versions, though some of these features can be turned off.

Also, there is much more to an NLE system, than just the CPU. Probably the most overlooked aspect is the I/O sub-system, i.e. the HDD's, their size, speed, controller type and how the HDD's are allocated. For a new system setup, I strongly recommend Harm Millaard's I/O ARTICLE.

Good luck,

Hunt