7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 6:12 PM by the_wine_snob

A painless return?

Les Bowker Level 1

I used to use and love Premiere years ago in the days of LE4.1, but changed to Pinnacle Studio when I had to get a new capture box (the Pinnacle Studiobox 700-USB).  I've found Studio a pain ever since...

As I type, I'm downloading a trial of Premiere Elements 8 but wonder whether it will work on my oldish PC, whether it will co-exist for a trial alongside Studio 12.1 and whether it will be more stable than Studio...

(PC spec 3.4GHz Intel chip;  3GB RAM;   strange Readon X700SE video card (about which I can find out very little);  lots of external (USB2) HDD space.)

Any comments, please.  Is it safe / wise to return to the fold???

Regards,

Les Bowker

• 1. Re: A painless return?
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Les,

Welcome to the forum.

There are some considerations, as to PrE 8 working on your computer. First, you will also need adequate internal HDD space. Please tell us more about the internal I/O sub-system, i.e. the internal HDD's. More detail is better, than less.

Next, tell us about the material that you wish to Capture, and if you plan on using the Pinnacle A-D bridge to do this. Most likely, you will need to use Pinnacle Studio to do this Capture through the Studiobox 700, but details will direct us there. Also, the material used as source footage will tell us more about whether your computer is stout enough to work - AVCHD material, for instance, will likely be too much for your computer. Otherwise, if you have the latest drivers for your ATI Radeon and for your Audio card, plus a very recent version of QuickTime Player. [Note: some have had issues with the 7.6.x versions, but 7.5.5 is still getting good reviews. Normally, I'd say just get the latests, but the two most recent "latest" versions seem to be heavily flawed for many using Adobe programs.

Last, I cannot address Pinnacle Studio and PrE 8, but can say that PrPro 2.0 worked fine with Pinnacle Studio 9.4.3 and also with Studio 10.1. I did not go any further with Pinnacle Studio, and never had PrE (any version) on that computer. Still, I had PrE's big brother (a few generations ago), and two older versions of Studio with no issues. This does not directly address your situation, but would give me hope that they could coexist.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I found that using USB 2.0 externals to edit to/from to be frought with problems. The main one was delayed write failures of the USB external, plus the speed was agonizingly slow. FW-400 was more stable, but still slow. FW-800 was excellent and I still use these to edit to/from and shuttle between computers. Using eSATA externals would be even better. In this case, YMMV (Your Mileage Might Vary), and only you can decide whether it works for you. For me, USB 2.0 externals are only good for archival storage and not dynamic editing, but that is my personal experience.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: A painless return?
            Les Bowker Level 1

Thanks, Hunt.

I have maybe a hundred GB of SATA main disk storage free, which is probably enough to test out PE and think I have the latest (but quite old) drivers for my video and audio cards.

I've not had any speed issues with the USB drives under Pinnacle, so hope this won't be a problem.

And I don't have any problem with capturing the files under Studio if necessary - that bit tends to be OK, once the input device is recognised (but that isn't always immediate...)

I have a lot of S-VHS analog home movie source that I want to capture & edit, and after that some mini-DV source from a differect camera.

It sounds as if it may be worth having a go, I think.

Let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Regards,

Les

PS I haven't found any obvious "beginner's guide" to elements so far.  Is there one?  And am I correct in gathering from a couple of other forum threads that PE (and Pro?) both tend to be used without real time transition rendering?  That was a feature of Studio I quite liked (and which worked fine in earlier versions but is giving me trouble in 12).

• 3. Re: A painless return?
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I haven't found any obvious "beginner's guide" to elements so far.  Is there one?

Actually, there are a couple. Most are by our own Steve Grisetti. He's done three, that I am aware of:

PrE 2.0 in a Snap (obviously for an older version, but filled with a lot of great general video editing tips and info), and then his Muvipix PrE set, PrE 7 and PrE 8.

And am I correct in gathering from a couple of other forum threads that PE (and Pro?) both tend to be used without real time transition rendering?  That was a feature of Studio I quite liked (and which worked fine in earlier versions but is giving me trouble in 12).

With most Transitions, I do not usually bother to Render in either PrE, or PrPro, as playback is really pretty good. With PrE 8, one can turn on "Background Rendering," which is something that Studio has had for some time - forget when it was intrduced. This can be helpful, but does require resources to use, and most users felt that it slowed things down too much.

Now, with Keyframing for animated Effects, I do manually Render a lot, so I can see things perfectly. I do not have PrE 8, so cannot comment on how well, or otherwise, the Background Rendering works.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for Capture of analog source material, I use a Turtle Beach A-D card and its software. Were I buying now, I'd go with the Grass Valley/Canopus 300 bridge and will add this to my new workstation, as I do a good bit of VHS to digital work.

• 4. Re: A painless return?
                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Thanks so much for the plug, Hunt!

My books are available on Amazon.com and from the Muvipix.com store.

• 5. Re: A painless return?
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Is PrE 2.0 in a Snap still in print? I found it to be full of general NLE and video production info, that I still find it relevant, regardless of GUI and functional changes in the actual program. This is also how I feel about Jeff Bellune's Focal Easy Guide to Adobe EncoreDVD 2.0. Encore is now up to CS4, but his book still covers 95%+ of the program, and nothing in it has really been replaced. Only the strenghening of Adobe Dynamic Link between PrPro and AfterEffects has really changed, and the Help files cover that. I find that too many get hung up on version numbers and miss a lot of great info from earlier volumes. Now, PrE has changed a bunch between 2.0 and 8, but the general tips are worth the price - IMHO. I still find useful bits in my Painter 3.0 books, though I am now on Painter X.

Hunt

• 6. Re: A painless return?
                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

No, Hunt. "In a Snap" only had one run, in 2005. So it's by no means any longer in print. Although some old copies are still available from vendors on Amazon and from the Muvipix store.

• 7. Re: A painless return?
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I had not seen it on Muvipix in some time, and kind of assumed that it might be out of print - hey, a collectible now!

I'll now refrain from mentioning it.

Appreciated,

Hunt