4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2009 3:57 PM by the_wine_snob

exporting video without black bars

SObdeijn

I have created a serie's of png images that are 1600x900 pixels and imported them into my project. In the source monitor everything looks ok. But when i insert the source into the timeline black bars are added.

And when i export the video the size is 1600x900 but with the source scaled and black bars added.

How can i turn those black bars off.

• 1. Re: exporting video without black bars
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Start reading about Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) and tell us more about your sequence settings.

• 2. Re: exporting video without black bars
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

The black bars in the Program Monitor are an indication that your source footage does not perfectly match your Project/Sequence Preset. If necessary, create a Desktop (Custom) Project/Sequence, and match everything to your source footage, Frame Size, Frame Rate, and PAR, as Harm mentions.

When things match up perfectly, the bars will be gone (depending on your Export settings).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: exporting video without black bars
              SFL46 Level 3

The black bars are the result of your PNG files having a different size (and PAR) than the sequence is set to.  While PrPro will scale, it typically does this to fit the longest axis.  If the scaled image doesn't fill the frame, you get black bars.  If you do this manually with the scaling settings for the clip MOTION effect-but you need to decided whether you want to chop off image on the longest axis as you scale the image to fill the other axis.

• 4. Re: exporting video without black bars
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Along those lines, I rely on Photoshop to do my creation and just setup my New Image to match what is needed for the Project, including the PAR. With everything matched up, there are no issues.

I also find that sizing, or even resizing, in PS yields better results, than using any Effect>Motion>Scale. However, I do hear that the resizing algorithms in CS4 have gotten better, than they were in previous versions. Still, considering the power and control in PS, I doubt that I would likely change from doing all still image creation, or manipulation, in PS.

Good luck,

Hunt