I have tried many times today (11/8) to authorize my new Astak EZReader Pocket Pro device but always get the subject error message a short time after being told that Adobe Digital Editions is "Connecting to Authorization Server". This new reader is a replacement for a defective unit which authorized without a problem about one month ago. Any suggestions for getting around this problem will be greatly appreciated.
I forgot to mention a very wierd attendant problem: each time I try the device authorization and get this error message, I find that my internet connection has been lost and the only way I can restore it is to shut down and restart. As long as I don't attempt the ADE device authorization, my internet connection (via Verizon FiOS) functions normally. This one really has me stumped.
Additional updated information from initial poster: I am working actively and closely with the E-reader device support team to determine if the problem is being caused by the reader rather than with Digital Editions. A further update will be posted just as soon as a determination is made one way or the other.