16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 8, 2011 6:41 AM by EricDuboisMDD

Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization

HitsujiKinno

On record, I have over 1,000 brushes, over 1,000 fonts, and I'm making other resources on the fly. I have an issue here: I can't find anything!!

(I also have a second issue with resources and crashes, but I'll get to that later.)

Is it that hard to ask Adobe to put in some font organization, tags for brushes and a search engine for them? Sometimes it's a pain trying to find the right font, but say, I think, "Hmm.. I want a font that is remotely Western, probably serif" there is no way in Adobe Photoshop to get through all of those fonts in a timely manner which means I'm spending about 2 hours shuffling through the fonts trying to find the right one. Sure there is a panel where you can select your favorite ones, but that's not by category... there is no sane way to find the font just for you.

Same thing for brushes. Often the problem with brushes is that people lose where they've come from, meaning no credit to the brush maker and when you want, say, fairies because you need some, you can't remember where the hell they are. And if you do, you have tons of brushes to sort through. People have a compulsion to not label their brush sets properly, which drives me nuts because they also expect you to give them credit. How about Adobe gives them a leg up? Give them a space not only to name the brush, but give it tags, a name and a website where it was found at. (Not required, but can be used or even expanded down.) And give it search capability. (So I type in birds, then the brushes menu retrofits to show all brushes with the tag of birds, I delete the search line, all the brushes come back, I type in standard. All of the round brushes come up, etc. I type in spiritsighs and all of her brushes come up... and so on). Gradients, etc should be the same.

Sure you can clear your brushes, but do you know how many brush packs I have to sort through, then load to get the right one? --;; A pain. (Plus brush packs are often lost in computer crashes, harddrive wipes, etc.)

So I'm asking for a way to organize and find these resources more easily, with better searching abilities, because while the guys on Photoshop TV can afford to dump their probably thousands of brushes for a demo, isn't it kind of odd that they often say, "Where is it? "Ah there it is" in their tutorials? They've apologized at least a dozen times for the "ah there it is" and the "I'm sorry Adobe doesn't give a font organizer", but here is a crappier alternative.

I'd like this in other programs in the CS suite too. Especially the Historyless Illustrator (Illustrator needs History) and InDesign. InDesign should have had font management a long time ago--most of it is about type setting anyway.

Second part:

Crashes. You've spent 2 hours making the right brush, stayed past your bedtime, made the brush, and voila, Photoshop crashes. You've just lost 2 hours of work, your files, which in your artistic daze you forgot to save and any chance of getting that brush file back.

So I propose three fixes which are already out there in Computer land that Photoshop hasn't implemented. (And other Adobe products should also implement).

1. The auto save. When the user isn't using the screen, or at x intervals it will ask the user if they want to save, which is settable by the user (prompting and the auto-saving). Microsoft has it, Most Mac programs have it, Adobe Photoshop should also have it.

2. Generated back up files. At some intervals, instead of a full save, in case of a crash, Adobe Photoshop, when prompted will create back up files.

3. A way for Photoshop and Illustrator when creating brushes, etc to auto-save said brush when the brush is created, rather than generating a pack. Like it updates a file in Photoshop when one creates a brush. This means it will hard save to the computer and one doesn't have to make a brush pack or shut down photoshop to get the brush to save. I think this would save a lot of people heartbreak.

Minor peeve, but when I hit undo often it jumps to the previous layer I was at. I'd like an option to turn this "feature" off.

• 2. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
          HitsujiKinno Level 1

Barring all else, folders or the ability to create them would be nice. Like say, create a project folder for a client for the fonts you used in the project. This would help us look more professional as well. Same thing with brushes... This way the brush comes up in a folder. (Options to turn folders on and off). And credit management would work. (Brushes, shapes, patterns, gradients all run the same trouble)

I sorely need this ability. I'd shell out a lot of money if Photoshop's only improvement was these improvements. It's a huge time saver and I think many would find it useful. I mentioned it to my graphic design professors and they had a look for "OMG I want this."

I also think it's not *that* much trouble to program since such functional and tested examples already exist in the marketplace. Painter 11, as buggy as it is has a rudimentary brush organizer. It also has a system of back up, so when it goes crashy, it still has a lightweight back up file it reads off of.

I also love Font Book for the mac... but I think the Adobe team can do better than that system for fonts.

I'll keep asking for this until I get it... every version. Because I think it's a huge time saver and will help lots of people. Including the Photoshop guys. Time to update the system of organization.

Oh and with the font organizer the fonts should have an "all" category and then be able to put a font into more than one folder. Just clarifying.

• 3. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
            naftolimann Level 1

not sure if anybody mentioned this.

tumasoft.com has a product for viewing and organizing your brushes patterns etc. 25 bucks.

• 4. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
              c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
              Crashes. You've spent 2 hours making the right brush, stayed past your bedtime, made the brush, and voila, Photoshop crashes. You've just lost 2 hours of work, your files, which in your artistic daze you forgot to save and any chance of getting that brush file back.

To be blunt: If that has happened more than once to you and you still don’t save useful, newly created brushes regularly you should, in my opinion, improve your workflow.

Saving a brush into a set should be doable in something like 15 seconds, less if you use Keyboard Shortcuts.

Even less than that if one automates the task with a Script (which could then be invoked either via a Keyboard Shortcut or Configurator Panel).

Let me know if you want to give it a try.

But as for organizing Brush Presets and Brush-name search capabilities Photoshop could indeed do with some improvements. (I still work with CS4, so I don’t know what changes exactly CS5  brought in that respect.)

Fonts on the other hand … I suspect the risks connected with implementing any expanded font-capabilities in Photoshop may be significant.

• 5. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                HitsujiKinno Level 1

not sure if anybody mentioned  this.

tumasoft.com has a product for viewing and organizing your  brushes patterns etc. 25 bucks.

This should be native to Photoshop rather than from an external program. It's in many other programs,so I don't understand why Photoshop doesn't have a system native to it.

To be blunt: If that has happened more than once to you and you still  don’t save useful, newly created brushes regularly you should, in my  opinion, improve your workflow.

Saving a brush into a set should be doable  in something like 15 seconds, less if you use Keyboard Shortcuts.

Even  less than that if one automates the task with a Script (which could  then be invoked either via a Keyboard Shortcut or Configurator Panel).

Let  me know if you want to give it a try.

You misunderstand me. I save the brush into the brush panel, and I may have the brush in up and working, but to save the brush permanently, you have one of these options:

1. Quit Photoshop between each brush made. The Save Brush Preset was NOT a permanent solution. It should be automatically saved to a file. Such as "all". Illustrator has a similar feature, though this really needs to be streamlined for Illustrator as well.

2. Save as a brush pack. However, if you have a bunch of brushes planned, this becomes a pain to do. This means out of say the 100 brush packs you have to find it every single time and add it and even if Photoshop crashes, the brushes you saved won't show up in the brush menu, because Photoshop doesn't remember any of the brushes you made until you quit Photoshop. This means then, if you're in the middle of making a brush and Photoshop crashes, you have to bring up said brush pack.

Do you really make brushes? 'cause I do. I make lots of brushes and it annoys me to no end that when I save the brush to the brush panel it's not a permanent save, but temporary. It should be permanent and I shouldn't have to shut down Photoshop to get it to save automatically to the Photoshop Brush palette.

I spend a lot of time refining my brushes by testing them, making them, and then testing them again. When I get the brush perfect, and find that something big has happened, I expect the brushes I saved to the brush palate should have saved permanently. But test it... You can force quit Photoshop, after saving to a brush to the brush palate and find that it's not at the end of the brush palate anymore. This is wacky and should be fixed. I view it as an internal bug rather than a "feature" i.e. something they didn't think about when they gave users the ability to create their own brushes. This is very programable as other programs can do it and as you pointed out it, it is minor. Especially with the advent of workable backup files, it has become ten times easier. Since Photoshop remembers on shut down, it may be even more minor--just shifting some code from the shut down process to the "save to Brush palate" process. I wouldn't mind say 5-10 seconds more of waiting while it saves if the  save ends up in a permanent save.

But as for organizing Brush Presets  and Brush-name search capabilities Photoshop could indeed do with some  improvements. (I still work with CS4, so I don’t know what changes  exactly CS5  brought in that respect.)

Fonts on the other hand … I suspect  the risks connected with implementing any expanded font-capabilities in  Photoshop may be significant.

Font organizers already exist. And programs have implemented them with success without hindering the work flow. I'm proposing this in addition to the "favorites" and the type-in pull down menu, not instead of it. As there are working examples, I doubt it will be that difficult to mock up. This isn't like a new fangled idea--so making it isn't as difficult. It should have been in In Design a long, long time ago... All the Adobe Products need one. I wouldn't even mind if it was an external program that worked with the suite. (Similar to Font Book for Mac with the Coco Products)

• 6. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                  c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                  Do you really make brushes? 'cause I do.

I have created some and expect to do so in the future, but I work in image editing, so my Set seldom needs changes; whereas I guess you create brushes for painterly or illustration use.

But test it... You can force quit Photoshop, after saving to a brush to the brush palate and find that it's not at the end of the brush palate anymore. This is wacky and should be fixed.

I am aware of the behaviour.

But I suspect that, as this seems to apply to all Presets, changing that is far from easily done in a program as voluminous as Photoshop – but then I could be wrong.

Anyway: The ability to save a complete Set of Brushes named »all.abr« on saving a new Brush Preset is available.

And if one desires one could also automatically load that Set at starting the Application.

One needs to record saving all brushes into a set of the name into the location of choice (probably best into Presets – Brushes) with Scripting Listener, save that code as a jsx-file (with a conditional to remove the existing file of the same name) and subsequently link that Script to the event »Mk  « for the class »Brsh« in Script Events Manager.

If I understand correctly one could also create one single Script to handle all that without using Script Events Manager, but that’s beyond my Scripting experience.

If you want to give it a try let me know.

• 7. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                    PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

Yes, this is a feature request that also belongs to Bridge.

I've suggested in the past that Bridge, as the real command central of the Creative Suite, should be able to display the contents of preset files, and preview fonts.

• 8. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                      BesNieveraSr

PLEASE STOP SENDING EMAIL Re: PHOTOSHOP MATTERS TO homegraphx@aol.com

BES NIEVERA Sr.

• 9. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                        c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                        PLEASE STOP SENDING EMAIL Re: PHOTOSHOP MATTERS T

Could it be that you (or someone using your email-address) checked »Receive email notifications« in these Fora?

Anyway answering to those notifications will probably not help you.

• 10. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                          c.pfaffenbichler Level 9
                          If I understand correctly one could also create one single Script to handle all that without using Script Events Manager, but that’s beyond my Scripting experience.

Well, as far as I can tell now after getting some great advice in the Scripting Forum I was wrong to assume one could do it with one Script.

Still the functionality to automatically save the complete set on saving a Brush Preset and comparing the change-dates of Brushes.psp with that set on starting the program and offer the possibility to load that set is available.

One could probably do likewise for other Presets (like Patterns, Styles, etc.), too.

• 11. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                            GusDoeMatik

I Agree with this feature and every part of it.  I don't like scripting options if I can avoid them, because I can't script and have to rely on someone that can. And then finding someone who can do it and get it done for a reasonable price is another issue.  But on the matter at hand yeah they should add these feature requests.

I even suggest that Adobe come up with a series of "Mini Panels". They have one already Mini Bridge, I also suggested one for Mini Camera Raw, and now there should be a Mini Type Manager.  They use to have a Type Manger app back in the day.  They should rebirth it, update it to todays standards with extras to create a new standard.  Then add that into the line-up of Adobe apps.  Even be nice enough to give it away for free, when you purchase individual apps such as Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and/ or any other Adobe app that allows the user to use different type faces.

• 12. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                              HitsujiKinno Level 1

Definitely should be applicable to all the Adobe products. The ability to organize and find is a smoother way to create.

I dislike the idea of script because that's third-party and then Adobe isn't responsible for any bugs, etc. Plus if it's multi-script, then it's just one more set of bugs that are possible. Besides, this should be native to Photoshop, etc. It shouldn't have to be a script. I shouldn't have to pay extra money for what should be in Adobe products in the first place.

I think it would be nice to have in addition to the extra menus with the triangle up or down (which should be set as a preference--that or last done). Something like an option for autofill. (With pull down or memory based on what one types similar to the web). I tend to put my brushes into multiple websites and accounts, and say if one is doing it for a studio v. onesself, being able to type less would be nice.

Oh and I noticed a minor thing--when renaming brushes, there is no way to escape once you've decided to rename a bunch of brushes. So say you are at brush 5 of 20. You have to go through the other 15 to get to the end of the line. =P That's a time waster. I need a cancel button.

Besides, John Nack put in two features into the additions because of the Photoshop Guys--I say to him, isn't it sad that they apologizing for not being able to find a font or a brush? Isn't it sad they have to show a crappier alternative to organizing fonts when people keep requesting it? I'll say this every version. Please add this feature. This will be akin for me to not having a dialogue menu pop up to change the name of a layer.

• 13. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                                angelfish117 Level 1

So it's an older post, but I need to spill my input somewhere.  I most definitely agree with the need for brush organization.  I've been dreaming of a little "favorites" type of drop-box for brushes, where I can drag and drop or somehow add a chosen brush to this favorites box when I'm working on a particular project.  So when I switch back and forth between brushes, I don't have to scroll through hundreds upon hundreds of brushes to try to remember exactly which one I'd been working with.  A feature to be able to add a temporary custom description to it would be nice too...like "water" if I used that brush to create water in that project.

So yeah.  Not sure what CS5 brings to the table...but I'm hoping for a nice surprise when I finally check it out.

• 14. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

About the font selection, look at John Nack's blog, where he shows a third party panel that does what you want.

The extensibility of Photoshop allows solutions coming from diverse horizons!

http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/09/typedna-adds-a-clever-fonts-panel-to-cs5-apps.html

• 15. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                                    HitsujiKinno Level 1

And did you see everyone in that post ask for it native to Photoshop and Illustrator? And also put down it was *that* much money?

Yes, Photoshop *does* do those things, but let's be honest here. It should be *native* to Photoshop, not in a third party plug-in which costs *that* much money, where bugs are not the responsibility of Adobe. Every other type program I know has some basic font management--even all native mac programs have something attached called Font Book, which helps organize the fonts.

What I'm asking for is organization of all Adobe resources in a way that is sane for the user. If John Nack is feeling the heat--good. 'Cause it shows, that Type DNA is going to be out of a job soon. I think the voice of the people who posted below his post echo mine--we need it native to Photoshop and other Adobe products and shouldn't have to shell an extra 149 bucks US for it.

• 16. Re: Brush, Pattern, Font, Custom Shape Tool, gradient, etc organization
                                      EricDuboisMDD Level 2

I was about to post a very similar request but decided to append it to this thread instead.

If I want to load a swatch library, I cannot preview it. My only choices are to append it or replace the existing one. If I load the wrong one, there's no undo. I either have to remove the unwanted swatches one-by-one or reset the whole panel (and lose any swatches I addedl). Illustrator opens external libraries in a separate panel. While Illustrator's swatch management is not perfect, it's a step in the right direction.

The same problem comes with brushes and custom shapes. I use different sets of brushes for different tasks so being able to group them instead of scrolling down a long list to find one. Once again, Illustrator opening brushes in a separate panel is a step in the right direction.

A "brush history" would be nice too, so I can quickly go back to the brush I was using a few minutes ago. That would go along with the Color Picker History discussed here.

I don't use patterns and gradients that much, but it looks like they could use the same kind of management as well.

As for fonts, I disagree with the OP. I believe fonts should be managed at the system level. Adobe used to do that with ATM (Adobe Type Manager) but left that market long ago. I long hoped that font managers (Suitcase, Fontcase, FontExplorer, etc.) would let you manage fonts inside the application through a plug-in. It looks like TypeDNA finally did it.