14 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 5:35 PM by windowswarrior

Can i do it all?

Why_ATL Level 1
      Hello all. I'm new to CS3. Can I build my whole website in fireworks?, then import all my "Flash" and "After Effects" animation into fireworks once I get my page all set up just the way I want them; and then import everything into dreamweaver, and start linking my pages there? I know that I can't build my pages in dreamweaver.

Thanks
        • 1. Re: Can i do it all?
          Level 7
          Why_ATL wrote:
          > Hello all. I'm new to CS3. Can I build my whole website in fireworks?, then
          > import all my "Flash" and "After Effects" animation into fireworks once I get
          > my page all set up just the way I want them; and then import everything into
          > dreamweaver, and start linking my pages there? I know that I can't build my
          > pages in dreamweaver.

You've got that backward. Dreamweaver is the program with which to build
          your web pages and to insert your media files. Use Fireworks to create
          the images for your Web pages.

--
          Linda Rathgeber
          linda@studio780.com
          Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks
          http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
          • 2. Re: Can i do it all?
            Why_ATL Level 1
            Hello Linda. you said, "Use Fireworks to create the images for your Web pages", but if that's the case, then why do i even need Fireworks? Why not just use Photoshop? I was really under the impression from "lyndia.com" to use Fireworks to build the pages then import it to Dreamweaver. Now I'm really confused.
            • 3. Re: Can i do it all?
              Level 7
              Why_ATL wrote:
              > Hello Linda. you said, "Use Fireworks to create the images for your Web
              > pages", but if that's the case, then why do i even need Fireworks? Why not
              > just use Photoshop?

Because Fireworks was developed for creating Web images, and is far more
              suited to the purpose than Photoshop. You'll understand why that is true
              as you learn to use it.

I was really under the impression from "lyndia.com" to use
              > Fireworks to build the pages then import it to Dreamweaver.

That's one way to do it. The method preferred by many professionals is
              to use Fireworks to build prototype pages, and then export the images
              and build the HTML pages in Dreamweaver.

--
              Linda Rathgeber
              linda@studio780.com
              Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks
              http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/
              • 4. Re: Can i do it all?
                Level 7
                That's really excellent advice. The problem with using FW HTML for any
                production purposes is that the HTML is not robust. It's written to exactly
                duplicate the layout image you have created, and it does that well. But as
                soon as you begin to add real-world content (pages have varying amounts of
                text, and different images within those text regions, then the SHAPE of that
                layout changes and the FW rigid structure begins to fall apart....

A large percentages of the posts on the DW forum are posts from people who
                do not understand that distinction and are looking for help with a broken
                layout. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix other than to reiterate the
                going-in statement: "Don't use FW HTML for production purposes".

--
                Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                Adobe Community Expert
                (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                ==================
                http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                ==================

"Linda Rathgeber" <linda@studio780.com> wrote in message
                news:g5aj7j$7a6$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Why_ATL wrote:
                >> Hello Linda. you said, "Use Fireworks to create the images for your Web
                >> pages", but if that's the case, then why do i even need Fireworks? Why
                >> not just use Photoshop?
                >
                > Because Fireworks was developed for creating Web images, and is far more
                > suited to the purpose than Photoshop. You'll understand why that is true
                > as you learn to use it.
                >
                > I was really under the impression from "lyndia.com" to use
                >> Fireworks to build the pages then import it to Dreamweaver.
                >
                > That's one way to do it. The method preferred by many professionals is to
                > use Fireworks to build prototype pages, and then export the images and
                > build the HTML pages in Dreamweaver.
                >
                > --
                > Linda Rathgeber
                > linda@studio780.com
                > Adobe Community Expert-Fireworks
                > http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 5. Re: Can i do it all?
                  Level 7
                  You could 'just use Photoshop'. However I believe Fireworks to be far
                  better and simpler to use for creating and editing images destined
                  for the web or a website.

Fireworks does have the ability to produce actual websites, but it
                  was never meant for that purpose. What it very good at doing is
                  producing quick working mock-ups to show potential clients. If the
                  client wants to go ahead then you 'should' go ahead and recreate the
                  working mock-up in Dreamweaver or a similar html/css editor and import
                  and optimise your images from Fireworks.

Pages built in Fireworks are likely to produce very big page sizes
                  using inefficient code and questionable css. Of course IF you are an
                  expert? I guess, although I've never tried, you could take a
                  Fireworks nockup and edit the code, but I don't recommend it and doubt
                  anyone will.

Use the correct tools for the job. Design and create working mock-ups
                  in Fireworks. Then when you and/or your client are happy, start from
                  scratch using Dreamweaver to produce your html/css code, and import
                  your optimised sliced images in from Fireworks.

This may sound like a laborious process but, with experience It can
                  be very efficient and productive.

I'm quite happy for people to disagree with me, I'm only writing from
                  personal experience.

Good luck.

Peter

"Why_ATL" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                  news:g5agok$4ua$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  | Hello Linda. you said, "Use Fireworks to create the images for your Web
                  | pages", but if that's the case, then why do i even need Fireworks? Why
                  not
                  | just use Photoshop? I was really under the impression from "lyndia.com" to
                  use
                  | Fireworks to build the pages then import it to Dreamweaver. Now I'm
                  really
                  | confused.
                  |

• 6. Re: Can i do it all?
                    Level 7
                    Linda/Murray,

Sorry, I got carried away replying. It took longer than I expected :-)

Peter

• 7. Re: Can i do it all?
                      Why_ATL Level 1
                      So I guess that's a No, in building ALL my pages in Fireworks. LOL. Ehhhhhh. Ok, thanks guys. This has really been helpful. I just think I got the wrong info from other sources. I would hate to build "EVERYTHING" in fireworks, and then send it over to dreamweaver and it not work.
                      • 8. Re: Can i do it all?
                        Why_ATL Level 1
                        Thank you so much Peter. what you said made a lot of sense. I get it. Now I know what to use fireworks for. Cool thanks a lot!

Why_atl
                        • 9. Re: Can i do it all?
                          Level 7
                          PJR wrote:
                          > Linda/Murray,
                          >
                          > Sorry, I got carried away replying. It took longer than I expected :-)
                          >

The more the merrier, Peter. :-)

Linda
                          ------
                          • 10. Re: Can i do it all?
                            Touranty Level 1
                            yep very true
                            • 11. Re: Can i do it all?
                              Level 7
                              Why_ATL wrote:
                              > Thank you so much Peter. what you said made a lot of sense. I get
                              > it. Now I know what to use fireworks for. Cool thanks a lot!

As an additional comment to Peter's, it's not just Fireworks that is not
                              very well suited to creating production quality HTML and CSS code but
                              any graphic app in existence, including Photoshop and ImageReady (to
                              which Fireworks is often wrongly compared).

It's just that the process of creating graphics is quite different and
                              requires a different mindset than the process of building a sound and
                              efficient HTML structure and style it with CSS. No purely graphic
                              application be it Fireworks,. Photoshop, Illustrator or InDesign give
                              you the granular control necessary to export semantic, best practice
                              HTML code.

But the thing is, Fireworks actually probably sucks less at it than the
                              others do. With the advent of Fireworks CS4 it will get even better with
                              the addition of Smart CSS export which will enable us to export much
                              cleaner code and maybe use it as a base to build the final site.

If you want, you can try the beta of FW CS4 now:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/fireworkscs4/

--
                              Stéphane Bergeron
                              the web with a human touch
                              http://www.webfocusdesign.com
                              blog : tutorials : articles : gallery
                              http://www.pixelyzed.com
                              • 12. Can i do it all?
                                mythos07
                                Build prototype pages, export the image
                                and build the html pages in dreamweaver. :D
                                • 13. Re: Can i do it all?
                                  windowswarrior
                                  I have been creating my web sites in Dreamweaver ... including whatever mock-ups I needed for the client. I don't do sketches, I just design in Dreamweaver.

I produce the web graphics in Photoshop using the SAVE FOR WEB feature which gives me pretty nice control over quality/size.

I will give this app a try, but it sounds like it's adding another step for me. Thanks for the input and information.

Kristi
                                  • 14. Re: Can i do it all?
                                    windowswarrior Level 1
                                    Sorry, the above response got entered on the wrong thread, so may seem out of sync. I had posted a question, and this thread was referred to for further information. In attempting to reply to my initial post, I somehow ended back on this thread after logging in. You might want to ready the other post as well.

For a similar post asking why install FIREWORKS CS3, please see this thread.