4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 6:09 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Help with Miter Limits

yosefalan

Hi,

Can anyone help me figure out what;s going on here.  I'm recreating a logo for someone, and if you view the attached image, the shape on the left is the original and is not geometrically perfect, which is why I'm trying to remake it.  My shape on the right is symetrical, however, although the stroke and miter setting are exactly the same (12 pt stroke, aligned to center, miter join, limit = 4) I cannot create sharp points on my shape.

My steps: I created a circle, then one of the rays, which I duplicated  7 times around, then joined all shapes using unite function of the pathfinder. The outline looks simple enough, but when I apply the stroke, regardless of how high the miter limit, I cannot achieve sharp points. Furthermore I am getting those ugly miter points on the inside of my shape.  I might add the the problem also exists when I try to create an offset path, whereas the original shape does not have this problem. Any ideas?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Help with Miter Limits
          Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

yosefalan,

It looks as if you actually have separate paths.

What happens if you ClickDrag over one of the (outer) corners with the DirectSelection Tool and then Ctrl+J (Cmd+J on Mac)? If that helps, you may do the same for all the corners.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Help with Miter Limits
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Create one shape, outline the stroke, fill it with the color you want  and use that outline path to arrange the logo the use the unite funtion.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Help with Miter Limits
              yosefalan Level 1

Both helpful answers.  I think I've figured it out in the meantime. I was drawing one half of the ray, then using reflect to mirror the other half, then joining the anchor points at the tip.  I just tried averaging them first and it worked. I guess they were close but not exact and were being connect by a straight line.  Thanks for the help!

• 4. Re: Help with Miter Limits
                Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Glad you have this solved i think you can mark the thread answered

without awarding points since you found your own answer.

I think it would b helpful to do so.

You know they really should allow you to mark your own posting as the answer even if there are no points awarded, especially since no cares abut the points.