1 2 Previous Next 46 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2009 7:51 AM by the_wine_snob

Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!

iainservice

Hi,

I am currently cutting and editing a DVD on Premiere Elements 8 I imported the files using the media downloader and then edited and clipped them into a sequence in the timeline.

Once the content was in the timeline I have placed scene markers at the start and end of each scene. I have then used the wizard and created the disc menus.

The menu is correct and in preview the media is exactly how I want it.

When burning the content to DVD it stops at 96% and comes up with an error - (Device error - The target device isnt suitable for use)

I have had a new DVD burner installed and tried burning to DVD-R and DVD+R

Can anyone help me, this is driving me crazy.

Regards

Iain

• 1. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Lain,

That error indicates that there is likely a problem with either the burner, or the media in the burner. Since you have replaced the burner, we can possibly remove that from the list of issues. What brand of media are you using? Some, like Memorex, Ritek and TDK have a reputation for having many bad discs in the same spindle - some will work, but many will not, because they come from several different mfgrs, and are just rebranded with the logo of the company that sold the spindle - not that made the discs. I strongly recommend Taiyo Yuden, or Verbatim blank media.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
            iainservice Level 1

Hunt,

I will try this. If this does not work I have no idea how to rectify the problem!!!

Regards

Iain

• 3. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

The easiest solution (as well as the easiest way to see if this is a hardware problem) is to select the option to burn your DVD files to a folder on your hard drive rather than directly to disc.

• 4. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                the_wine_snob Level 9

In doing the test with Burn to Folder, you can use the little freeware program, ImgBurn, to do the physical burning to blank disc. It works beautifully and actually offers some controls that are missing from PrE.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 5. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                  iainservice Level 1

Thanks for your help guys.

I have just burned to folder varying the options and it throws back the same error message. I have also tried burning to premium DVD disks both DVD-R and DVD+R

The only thing I can think of is updating the software , and trying to burn from another machine!

Iain

• 6. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Lain,

I may have missed it, and if so apologize, but have you checked for a firmware update from your burner's mfgr? These can often correct similar error messages. When you get any firmware update, be sure to read the mfgr's. instructions carefully. They will differ mfgr. to mfgr., and also by model. For instance, the method for installing firmware updates for my LG and my Plextor burners in my workstation, are quite different.

Since you are trying to burn on either Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden blank media, we can probably rule that out as the problem.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!

If you are having trouble burning to a folder on your hard drive, it is less likely a firmware or media issue and more likely a problem with your source files.

You say you used a downloader to bring the files into Premiere Elements. What type of camcorder is this video from?

• 8. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                        Kodebuster Level 3

You'll need to give details on the source videos, where they came from, and how you got them imported into PE.

If your videos are not in a format that PE can handle easily, you will have all sorts of issues.

When placed on the timeline, does the video have a Red or Green solid line above it ???

Or nothing at all ???

• 9. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I just re-read the post, to which I replied. Yes, it now seems (to me) that the OP could NOT Burn to Folder. I thought it was the physical burning that was giving the error - my bad!

As always, you are correct - scratch the firmware comment.

Hunt

• 10. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                            the_wine_snob Level 9
                            You'll need to give details

Also, unless I missed it upthread, please give the details of your HDD's, especially the amount of defragmented free-space. If one cannot Burn to Folder, this is often an issue, though the source material is still a very likely candidate.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                              wthwth

Not sure about ver 8 as I use ver 7 but the cure I found for ver 7 crashing problems when rendering & burning to dvd is after editing or doing anything with the file in the program is to save it and exit the program. Then restart the program, open the project, let your computer HDD finish loading,then do NOTHING but click & start the render/burn process. This will usually give me a completed/good dvd. But if I "fiddle around" with the project, view it, adjust start/stop points, then try to burn it, then there's a good chance it'll fail at 96% or I had one fail at 46% the other night. I think it's a memory allocation problem in the program, and Im running a Core 2 duo @2.33 GHZ w/4gig of ram in Vista HP 32 bit. Im editing 17mbps HD .mts files and inserting 4.5mb photos between mts clips, nothing more.

• 12. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                Im editing 17mbps HD .mts files and inserting 4.5mb photos between mts clips, nothing more.

This part, the overly large still images, could well be part of the issue. Still images should be resized for the Project Frame Size, or slightly larger if one needs to pan on a zoomed-out image. One will not any more pixels, than the Project's Frame Size, and the program has to spend a lot of resources to resize them.

This ARTICLE will discuss this resizing in more detail, and offer some tips on using automation to resize them for the Project.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                  -Geoff-

Just installed PE8. Imported an mp4. Created a quickie menu. Tried to burn a DVD.  Got same error (target device isn't suitable) at same place (96%). Saw this thread. Tried exiting program, restarting, and only burning without any prior editing just as suggested. Worked!

Still think something needs to be fixed, however.

• 14. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Regarding the use of large still images in a Project, one might want to read down this THREAD, and especially see the later replies by ATR and me. The use of oversized still images places a very heavy burden on one's system and one's NLE.

Hunt

• 15. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                      ScahtK

I had the same problem, as well as crashes. Tried new media types, updated burner FW, etc etc etc. It's not you; it's PE8. I won't "re-rant", I'll just copy and paste from my other post. (The purpose of the rant was so people didn't think it was "just them"):

I'm afraid I have to agree with Glenn and Mouseman. PE8 should not have been released. As far as submitting reports, calling support, etc etc, that's all well and good; except that the product should have been through those steps BEFORE it was released. As a computer system and software test engineer for many years, I've seen this all too often. Marketing push, R&D and QA get pushed back (or out) and the product is released with the intent that patches will follow. After a number of releases (PE3 or 4 was the last good one IMHO), the product is so poor at release that you get rants like Glenn's (although I would hardly call a post that polite a rant:) and mine (never so nice) that identify soon-to-be former Adobe customers. And just to be clear, every day I troubleshoot software and computer system issues, and I did so (thoroughly, I might add) with PE8 as well. Let me first address the hardware issue: I'm running an IC7 on an Asus Rampage Extreme II with 6GB of Dominator RAM. I've run "stock" speeds (2.67 on the CPU and 1066 on the RAM) up to and inlcuding 3.6 on the CPU and 1800 on the RAM. All experienced crashes/freezes. I'm also running four GPUs: (2) HD4850x2 Cards cross-fired. Reducing to a single GPU running at stock speeds still experienced the same issues. OC'ing and cross-firing the four GPUs still had the same issues. My system HD is a RAID0 config of two 10k raptors, and I'm running 1 TB and a 1.5 TB  secondary HDs. So hardware/performance is not the issue. I reduced to "all default" and began with drivers. I ran with 3 different revs of the ATI drivers, and ultimately with the Windows driver (I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit) with no difference. I unloaded all "extranous" apps so nothing was running with PE8, and no help. Still freezes and locks up. Anyway, in more ways than just debugging, I'm done. No more Adobe anything for me on any of my systems (I have 19). Best of luck to you all, and thanks for letting me vent and, hopefully, ease the minds of those of you that are wondering if it's "just you". (It's not:)

• 16. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                        Creative_Mom

I too have been having the same issues with PE8. I upgraded to PE8 from PE7 thinking it may be faster and better (foolish me!). I do enjoy the program but am getting fed up with the slowness and constant freezing and burn issues.

Does anyone know or can recommend a better/similar program?

J

• 17. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

I've got some recs., but first the caveats - you know, the "fine print."

First, I use PrPro mostly. I have PrE 4, but use it almost as a utility to get some footage into PrPro.

Now, I also have CyberLink's PowerDirector, but use it less than PrE 4. I have Magix Movie Edit Pro, and also use it less than PrE 4. Both are nice programs, but could not imagine doing much editing in either. Remember, I use PrPro, so I am both spoiled and set in my ways regarding editing.

Now, Sony's Vegas gets good reviews. I have never used, or even seen it on a computer. Many sing its praises, and some of these folk are ones who I highly respect. I just do not know.

There are some more. Corel bought Ulead. I followed those dudes from the old Aldus PhotoStyler, and they did good software. I just do not know their video editor, and have not seen what it has become under the Corel banner.

I realize that the above is not much help, but it's the best that I can do. Others will chime in, and hopefully they'll have a lot more "hands-on" info for you.

Good luck in your quest, and wish that I could help you more,

Hunt

• 18. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                            BurnleySimon

Personally, I have wrestled with this problem for four weeks now, since I upgraded from PE3. I have submitted a bug report and filled out the so-called Customer Service feedback. I haven't even had the courtessy of a reply, let alone a fix. There is nothing wrong with my DVD burner - other programmes seem to find that it works well.I have downloaded all the firmware updates, all the Microsoft updates but still PE8 will not work.

I would further like PE8 error messages to speak English. They are non-descriptive and give no clues as to the possible cause(s) of the error.

I find Adobe's attitude arrogant. They seem to take for granted, the fact that I have worked hard over the last four weeks on a couple of PE projects and spend an awful lot of time and money on a product that is not fit for purpose. I also find the fact that they are so ignorant that they can't even respond to polite requests for advice.

I buy software as a job and I will absolutely not be recommending this product as it does not work, and I will not recommend any other Adobe product because of the seemingly non-existance of any principals of customer service. PE8 has one week left on my computer to work, otherwise it will be deleted and I shall look for another product.

• 19. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                              oddgunnar

Hi

I have allso the same problem. Change of burnerdvice did not help, same error. But then I burn the whole project to disk, and use Nero to burn to the DVD to the allready burn disk, just added the lost files. It work very good

Odd Gunnar

Norway

• 20. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                ejdb01

I have exactly the same issue and it is drving me crazy.

I get the following error: When burning the content to DVD it stops at 96% and sometimes at 28% and comes up with an error - (Device error - The target device isnt suitable for use)

I ended up uninstalling from my notebook and installing on my desktop. Then I moved the project over to my desktop and guess what.....the same device error. So I cannot write to HDD and I can not write to DVD. There must be something in my project because if i start a new and simple project it does work.

Can anyone expolain me how to properly troubleshoot the project itself? It consist of three source videos, one aded mp3 for music, a standard PE8 menu, some menu markers a couple of stills and that is it?

What can I do?

Hope someone can help.

• 21. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!

Have you worked through the troubleshooting steps in the FAQs to the right of this forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/415318?tstart=0

• 22. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

BrunleySimon,

This FAQ Entry, from the Encore forum, might help you sort your burner problem.

Check out the list of problem software, that can block all Adobe programs, that burn to DVD/BD.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Odd Gunnar,

Take a look at the FAQ entry, that I posted for BrunleySimon above. It lists many of the potential problems when burning to DVD/BD with any Adobe program. I see that you have Nero. It is very likely that one of its modules, InCD, is the problem in your case.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 24. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                        (Device error - The target device isnt suitable for use)

The first thoughts on this error are:

1.) the firmware of the burner(s) need to be updated

2.) the blank media that you are using is either the wrong type (-R, or +R), or that the media is defective.

A.) tell us more about your burner(s). If it/they is a certified Multi-drive, the type should not be an issue. Otherwise, it could well be.

B.) tell us about the brand of blank media, that you are using. Verbatim, or Taiyo Yuden are highly recommended. Brands like Memorex, TDK or most Ritek, plus ANY store-brand, are to be avoided at all costs.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 25. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                          ejdb01 Level 1

I managed creating a pure avi and went from there. It worked out well.

Regards,

EJ

• 26. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

EJ,

That is good news, and thank you for reporting!

Hunt

• 27. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                              fragras

I had the same problem.... I was trying to burn a 50 min. video at it's high quality setting of 3.06 G. It wouldn't burn and got the device error.

I lowered the quality to 2.9 and the video burned fine. Try it.

Frank

• 28. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                fragras Level 1

Try my solution. drop back the quality setting. May be only 1-5%. It should work.

Frank

• 29. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                  fragras Level 1

I had the problem. Could burn Blueray but not DVD. I cut back quality from 3.06 to 2.9 and DVD burned fine. I tried 50 different things this works. Burned in three different drives, disk variants. none but this worked.

• 30. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                    fragras Level 1

Try my suggestion. Reduce quality slightly and burn. Burn needs more space.

Frank

• 31. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                      Bernard_Smeets Level 1

I had the same problem with PE 8. I could write to HDD so the issue was related to the dvd burning process and not to the creation of the files. To make a long story short it turned out not to be an issue with Nero or too old drivers but Roxio Creator that came originally with my HP box. With PE 4 I had no problems with having both Roxio and Nero (except for a few initial uses I do not use Roxio) but now with PE 8 I got  problems. I totally removed Roxio and cleared the registry from all its traces and now it seems that burning to DVD works in PE 8. As nothing else changed on my system one can conclude that the PE 8 software is less robust than the PE 4 when it comes to burning to DVDs.

BR

/Ben

• 32. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Both Roxio and Nero will install their own packet-writing software, InCD, and DLA. These "hook" the burner, and no Adobe program can work with it. The free burning utility, ImgBurn, can, however, so if you MUST have the packet-writing modules, then you will want to Burn to Folder, and use a program, like ImgBurn.

This ARTICLE, from the Encore FAQ, will give you more details.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 33. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                          LessPixs

I used to get the 96% device error message when using PE8. I always burn to HDD (to preview the video and then burn on a different PC), never to a DVD burner, and had only minimal other programs installed, therefore I knew that it was PE8’s fault. I then found a suggested solution on an Adobe site somewhere that suggested converting (exporting) the video to the .avi DV NTSC format after editing, then burning it (to HDD or burner). It has worked flawlessly burning to HDD using that technique. This technique takes massive hours to accomplish, and I’m only doing it until I finish the project, then I’m trashing PE8. On the remaining videos I need to do, I am going to try the “edit then save/reboot/restart PE8” technique mentioned previously and see if that works. Btw, if you want to know what Hell is like, use Magix Edit Pro. You will curse the day you were born!!!

• 34. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                            ejdb01 Level 1

Thanks for your reply. You are right it is a pain...  Do you have a suggestion for a proper working authoring package?

Thanks,

EJ

• 35. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                              the_wine_snob Level 9

I use Encore exclusively, and have never had any issue. In years of use with hundreds of Projects authored, and thousands of DVD-Videos burned, I have had one error message. However, it is no longer available, except with the purchase of PrPro CS4, so it's not really an option for most people. Too bad that Adobe only sells it bundled now, but with the enhanced Adobe Dynamic Link between PrPro, Encore and AfterEffects, I can understand why it's no longer a stand-alone.

Many here sing the praises of Sony's DVD Architect, but I have never used it. Many others love DVD Studio Pro (about the same price-point as the old Encore), but I have never used it either.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 36. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!

As Hunt says, DVD Architect Studio is a great, affordable solution. You can download it from the Sony site for $39.95, and it's worth every penny!

The program is virtually bug free and extremely stable, and you can use it to both author and encode your DVDs.

• 37. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                                  LessPixs Level 1

@EJ

The authoring programs I have tried are Magix, NeroVision, and PE8. My experience with these programs can be illustrated like this: You have three cars you can use to drive to work. When you drive the first one, the engine is constantly overheating and seizing up as you drive, requiring engine replacement. With the second car, the wheels are constantly coming loose and falling off. With the third car, the transmission constantly locks up, causing the car to skid into the ditch. None of the cars consistently get you to work. And from the comments I see regarding Corel, Vegas, and etc. most affordable authoring programs are junk-ware.

However, having said the above, there may be good authoring programs as mentioned in Hunt and Steve’s post. I may give DVD Architect Studio a try.

@Hunt

What version of Encore are you using that is standalone?

• 38. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                                                    What version of Encore are you using that is standalone?

I'm using EncoreDVD 2.0. I only do DVD-Video (SD) production right now, so it does all that I want and need. It has been a wonderful program, and has never failed me. In all the years, I have only had one error message, that that was due to OE on my part. When I redid that one Project, it built and burned 100%. As I am well into my second 1000 Taiyo Yuden discs, and am starting on my second 500 Verbatim DVD-9's, I'd say that I've produced 1500+ DVD's with it, from maybe 600 Projects. I have yet to have one disc returned, but must add that I almost always burn a DVD RW to test with, so I have already run my test disc through 6 set-top players and at least one computer DVD drive w/ CyberLink PowerDVD, before I commit to a DVD for delivery.

I just wish that Adobe had been able to keep Encore as a stand-alone, as it's the best that I have ever used - easy, stout and never fails me. I just love that program and use it weekly.

Hunt

• 39. Re: Burning to DVD - Device Error, any help greatly appreciated!!!
                                                                                      fragras Level 1

The combo of Premiere CS3 and Encore is a fine set and it works great. I bought the elements series for my wife and to some do fast DVDs. I'm sorry, the elements 8.0 set of Photoshop and Premiere is garbage. I'm sorry I bought them. And worse the Indian technical team is sadder than sad. Adobe should evaluate the software set and shape up!

Frank

1 2 Previous Next