6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2009 7:42 PM by norm9704

In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline

norm9704

I can add video files as AVCHD to a project, but it only displays the first one in Sceneline, and none in Timeline, other than the narrow green bar. Adobe customer support mentioned updating my drivers, which I did; they also recommended rendering the video files, which I did, but the problem remains. I also installed the latest Java and I still have the same problem. Customer support says I need a new computer, I have a 1.87 GHz pentium Core 2 processor and 3 GB of memory. My operating system is Vista Home Premium.

Can anyone suggest a fix other than a new computer?

• 1. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, you've posted to the Tips & Tricks sub-form, where your post is not likely to be seen by most forum subscribers. Maybe Steve can move you out to the main forum.

Now, I'll bet that you have DD 5.1 SS Audio in your AVCHD. If so, set up a new Project and choose AVCHD w/ DD 5.1 SS. Then Import your source footage into it. You should now get everything to work fine.

I'd also suggest working in the Timeline View Mode, and be prepared for your Audio to go to the DD 5.1 SS Audio Track. Also remember that PrE will only Export/Burn with stereo Audio and NOT with DD 5.1 SS. Personally, I'd set my camera to record in stereo. Many find that most camera's 5.1 actually yields poor results, as unwanted ambient sound is picked up and included. To do good, real 5.1 recording, one would need 6 high-quality, specialized mics, a good mixing panel and knowledgable sound techs. Also, most scenes do not lend themselves to 5.1 sound very well.

Just something to think about, and good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
            norm9704 Level 1

Hunt, thank you so much for these tips. I did the change in a new file and it works OK. I can see both the video and audio in the timeline mode. The video is a bit stuttery, but that is a big improvement. This is the second time that I have got nowhere useful with the official Adobe customer service people and solved the problems with help from you guys in the forum. I appreciate your advice on the SS5.1 also. I'll try changing that on the video camera. Norman.

• 3. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              The video is a bit stuttery, but that is a big improvement.

With AVCHD material, you should have either a green line above the Clips in the Timeline, or none. You don't have a red line, do you?

Also, AVCHD material is a big honking resource hog to play and edit. Normally, Audio & Video footage is very heavily dependent on first one's I/O sub-system, i.e. their Hard Drives (HDD's), their speed and controller type, with CPU being second. AVCHD is more CPU intensive with I/O coming second by quite a bit. Without probably a new Quad-core CPU, smooth playback might just not be possible.

As for the help from the fora over T/S, I always recommend that one post to the Adobe fora first. Most all problems can be solved here. About the only time that I suggest going to T/S, or C/S is with installation, or activation issues. Everything else can likely be fixed right here.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 4. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
                norm9704 Level 1

Hunt, thanks for the message. When I add a AVCHD clip, it shows as a red bar above, but on rendering, it changes to green. Norman

• 5. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

If one has chosen an AVCHD Project Preset and Import full AVCHD source footage, there should not be a red line. Rendering should not be needed.

My guess is that your camera is either not doing full AVCHD (what make and model?), or that there is a mismatch with the Project Preset.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: In Premiere Elements7, I cannot see HD video in the timeline
                    norm9704 Level 1

Hunt, I have a Sony HDR-SR-12, which takes full HD 1920*1080. I was on 5.1 SS but changed it to 2 CH stereo. I changed the settings in the Adobe Premiere Elements 7 project to NTSC Full HD 30. Does that seem right to you? (I Did try some other settings as well). I am still getting the red line, which changes to green on rendering. Norman