9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 13, 2009 9:36 AM by the_wine_snob

Crashes while saving

Scott1103

Adobe Premiere CS4 keeps crashing while trying to save. The project is a big one. About 5,000 video clips. I am using the same project to create a new 30 min sequences every week. It will crash about 3 or 4 time a day while trying to save. Quitting Adobe Premiere and restarting it has seemed to help.

I am on an IMac with 4 GB RAM. The clips are stored using and external drive with a 1000 Gigabit switch connected by an ethernet cable.

What could be wrong?

• 1. Re: Crashes while saving
          Harm Millaard Level 7
          I am on an IMac with 4 GB RAM. The clips are stored using and external drive with a 1000 Gigabit switch connected by an ethernet cable.

Only four possible problems in that one statement:

1. iMac

2. 4 GB

3. External

4. 1000 Gb switch????

Who ever heard of a 1000 Gb switch? Not even fiber can achieve that and a mediocre fiber SAN switch already runs into $ 3-10 K or more.

Sorry I could not find any more potential problems, but it seems enough.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Crashes while saving
            shooternz Level 6

I had a similar issue on a complex Project this morning (with my Windows ';puter).

Saving seemed to freeze up the project and the windows.

I cleared temp files, tried the backup saves etc and no improvement.

I resolved the issue by Creating a NEW PROJECT and importing the old one into it.  (Issue solved)

Good Luck.

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Crashes while saving
              Scott1103 Level 1

I will have to try creating a new project. I also want clear up that is a 5-port Giga-bit switch. That is how my imac is connect the network which the video clips are stored. My Imac is a 2.4 Ghz intel with 4 GB of RAM. I am assuming my computer not powerful enough to handle this project. As the library will continue to grow. What type of computer will I need to handlet his?

• 4. Re: Crashes while saving
                the_wine_snob Level 9

Saving to a NAS can be problematic, even with small Projects. I would look into a FW-800, or better an eSATA external instead of the NAS.

With similar sized Projects I have no problem doing a Save/Save_As to FW-800's.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - for large Projects, a computer with adequate internal storage would be a really big plus and things will run better all of the way around. Harm Millaard has some good articles linked from HERE.

• 5. Re: Crashes while saving
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

There is nothing wrong with saving to a NAS over a teamed gigabit connection that supports Jumboframes and uses iSCSI. It may even prove faster than a FW disk.

If you want to go a step further (and mutliple steps in $$$) go for a Netapps storageworks SAN with snapshotting at block level.

• 6. Re: Crashes while saving
                    Scott1103 Level 1

My Premiere Pro Project file is about 190MB. I was told on another forum that it was way too large. I do have a lot of clip in the library (about 5000) most of them about 5 to 10 seconds each. Would it be better to try and figure out what bins I need and for the current sequence and leave the others out. I work on the 30 min local televison program that runs every week. It is basically a paid program with advertisers buy up anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes. I have interview footage that is supported by the b-roll. Of coarse I also have music and graphic in the bins as well. I have kept the same project file for the past 7 months, just creating a new sequence every week.

I would rather not import just the bins I need cause I always going to older sequences (in the same project file) and pulling out old segments to fill out the show. Any thoughts?? Thanks in adance!

• 7. Re: Crashes while saving
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

One thing that can allow you to "trim" your Project is to run Remove Unused, but then do a Save_As, so you still have your "master" Project. This new Project will be lean and mean, with only the used Assets and should be smaller.

On the NAS, I will defer to Harm. Mine is many levels down from his, and from his suggestions, so there WILL be a big difference in how effective the NAS will be.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Crashes while saving
                        Scott1103 Level 1

Thanks to everyone for there help. It seems like it could be a mixture of things, but does anyone know why it is only crashing when I attempt to save and at no other time? Is this a memory issue, external drive, or something else?

Thanks!

• 9. Re: Crashes while saving
                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                          does anyone know why it is only crashing when I attempt to save and at no other time?

Scott,

I do not. The .PRPROJ file is but an .XML database of instructions and links. Compared to an Export, writing it is a pretty simple task, even with a large Project. I cannot image what is directly causing this behavior - sorry.

Good luck, and please report if you find the cause.

Hunt