6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 9:57 PM by Jim_Simon

Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized

Shlacks_Production

Hi,

I'm a High Student and we got a Sony HDR-FX7 last year and I am in charge of it and I filmed something on the MiniDV tape and then when i went to capture it Premier Pro CS4 did not recognize it. I read somwhere else that since it's a USB and not a FireeWire that Premier Pro will not recognize it. However there's not Firewire imput on the camera... What do I do? Can I use an HDMI wire that converts into a Firewire? because there are not HDMI imputs on the school's PC.

• 1. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Premiere works ONLY with a Firewire connection

I am not familiar with that model, but THOUGHT (I guess wrongly) that all miniDV tape cameras had a Firewire connection

If that camcorder does not have Firewire, you will need an external conversion device, with input from the camcorder and Firewire output to the computer

Old forum message, message now gone, but here's the summary - I have not used, only made note of the product "Matt with Grass

Valley Canopus in their tech support department stated that the 110 will suffice for most hobbyist. If a person has a lot of

tapes that were played often the tape stretches and the magnetic coding diminishes. If your goal is to encode tapes in good

shape buy the 110, if you will be encoding old tapes of poor quality buy the 300"

http://desktop.thomsongrassvalley.com/products/ADVC300/index.php about $500
          Or
          http://www.amazon.com/Canopus-ADVC300-Advanced-Digital-Converter/dp/B0006UMGHE

• 2. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
            Harm Millaard Level 7

From a low ex-student, since you are high by your own acclamation, start reading the manual and follow classes. Oh, since you are in charge of the camera, did you allow it sufficient time for coffee breaks and sanitory stops?

I read somwhere else that since it's a USB and not a FireeWire that Premier Pro will not recognize it. However there's not Firewire imput on the camera... What do I do?

Reread the manual. It may be an eye-opener. Why would you want an 'imput' when trying to capture?

HDMI is great for watching, not for ingest.

• 3. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
              Shlacks_Production Level 1

I wasn't aware that bashing someone's question was a new way of teaching... I did read the manual of the camera and it said that capture depends on the type of software you use. As for the Premier Pro manual I am not in possession since I do not have the Premier Pro CS4 DVD as it is on a school's computer and I am not the owner. As for following classes my teacher pushes us to find our own answers because we have many different type of hardware in our class and he can't be bothered with every little details and we don't have learning classes per say. We learn from mistakes and ask our fellow peers for help. But obviously you don't know the answer to this question or else you would have posted a smart comment.

• 4. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
                Shlacks_Production Level 1

Thanks for confirming my scare (Premier Pro only takes Firewirey). Those are useful except we I filmed in HDV and wish to keep the HD quality and since those devices on use RCA cables it will become standard deff which is not my goal. Thank you how ever! Help much appreciated compared to our other peer below...

• 5. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

there's not Firewire imput on the camera

Yes, there is.  Hence Harm's suggestion to read the manual.  (Sony calls it iLink.)

• 6. Re: Sony HDR-FX7 not recognized
                    Jim_Simon Level 8

my teacher pushes us to find our own answers

That's a viewpoint I can agree with.  But any decent teacher will show you exactly where to find the answer - which book, reference material, web site, manual, tutorial, whatever.  If he doesn't know where to find the answer, and duly point that out when asked, he should not be teaching that class.