9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 5:02 AM by JETalmage

Remove part of a lense flare

jay fresno Level 1

I want to remove the part of the lense flare that is outside the glasses. Don't want to hide it with a clipping mask, and have tried Pathfinder commands which don't seem to work. Any suggestions?

Untitled-2.jpg

• 1. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
          PrepressPro1 Adobe Community Professional

Make a copy of the glasses lens and paste in front, use this one lense as a mask for the lense flare.

• 2. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
            jay fresno Level 1

PrepressPro1,

Thanks for your suggestion. I'd prefer to delete the part of the flare that is outside the glasses, rather than hiding it with a mask. Guess that's not possible.

• 3. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
              Larry G. Schneider Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you try Expand or Expand Appearance before the Pathfinder.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                Harron K. Appleman Level 4
                Guess that's not possible.

Without more information, guessing is all any of us can do.

Are we talking about something created entirely in Illustrator? Which version? Which Pathfinder tools did you try, and what happened when you tried them? ("...don't seem to work" gives us little to go by.)

It would be best if you could post the file here. Otherwise, some screen shots (including pertinent palettes) would help.

• 5. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                  Jacob Bugge MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Jay,

I'd prefer to delete the part of the flare that is outside the glasses, rather than hiding it with a mask. Guess that's not possible.

Well, you can do the dirty deed:

1) Copy the glass(es) above the flare, select both, and Object>Clipping Mask Make;

2) With the mask selected, in the Transparency palette/panel dropdown select Multiply (or anything else other than Normal);

3) Object>Flatten Transparency keeping the Raster/Vector Balance slider at 100%.

After that, you just have to keep out of the Bounding Boxes of the mask. You know what I mean by mousing over.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                    jay fresno Level 1

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions -- I tried them all. What a wonderful resource this forum is; due to people like you. Ended up using the clipping mask solution after all.

• 7. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                      JETalmage Level 6

1. Object>Expand. Turn OFF the checkboxes for Strokes and Fills. Turn ON the option for Object.

2. Ungroup.

Now you just have a collection of circular paths with radial grad fills (and one open path for the rays), which you can treat as any other. Example: Draw a path in the shape of the portion you want to remove. Select it and the circle you want to modify. Pathfinder Subtract (expanded) to remove the outboard portion.

Or...

Because the grad fills of the circles inside a Lens object are set to Screen Opacity Mode, you can also just draw a white rectangle and send it to the back. That will effectively cause the outboard portions to "disappear."

JET

• 8. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                        jay fresno Level 1

JET,

Thanks for suggesting another technique. It's a good idea and worked very well with the circles. As you said, the lines are not visible, but I'd prefer to remove them and couldn't figure out a way to remove the part of the lines that extend past the glasses other than tediously resizing each line.

• 9. Re: Remove part of a lense flare
                          JETalmage Level 6

Select the rays, look at the Document Info palette (Objects, Selection Only), and you'll see that the rays are a single open path, as I stated. Therefore, you can cut them as you would any other open path. (Scissor, Eraser).

In fact, in your particular example, you can remove the outboard portions of all objects in the flare (circles and rays) in one move, because the edge you are trying to crop to is a straight horizontal line. Simply get the Eraser tool and marquee drag (press Alt) a rectangular area around the unwanted portion.

JET