3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 7:48 AM by PaulieDC

Hard Drives for RAID, Brand Question (Harm??)

PaulieDC Level 2

I'm about to buy two drives for RAID0 for assets on my i7 rig, running Windows 7 (yes, I'm aware RAID0 is for performance only, I backup all the time). It'd be great to get two 1TB WD RE3's for a total of 2TB (about $320 delivered), but I'm a budget-constrained cheapskate. This Samsung drive would provide enough space for now in a pair, and is literally half the price: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152118

Two of these would be $170 delivered, and only be a ½ TB smaller once RAIDed than the WDs. BUT, has anybody use these drives? I don't want to save money if it brings unreliability. Harm, if you read this, do I remember you saying you use Samsungs?

• 1. Re: Hard Drives for RAID, Brand Question (Harm??)
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I just bought 3 of the Seagate 7200.12 drives when they were on sale awhile ago when they were only $74 each and I am very happy with them.  Right now they are $90 each.

Here is the HDtach output data for two drives in RAID 0:

2TB-R0-7200.12.jpg

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Hard Drives for RAID, Brand Question (Harm??)
            Harm Millaard Level 7

Yes, I use Samsungs F1's and like you it was a budget driven choice. I have 16 of them however.

One thing to consider is that you intend to use them in Raid0, which has no redundancy. Reliability is therefore a critical consideration. Bill got a nice deal with the 7200.12 disks. That is one possibility, the other is the WD RE, which you mentioned, or the Samsung F3's. However, notice that I had 2 out of my 16 drives fail within the first 4 months. Both replaced under guarantee and after rebuilding the array, no data loss. That, unfortunately is a luxury you don't have with raid0. It is a difficult call to say "get this one". How critical are the data on the raid0, how easy are they to restore in case of a disk failure, what is that worth to you in $$$. My gut feeling is that the WD RE are the most reliable, the Samsung's have the best price and the Seagates 12 series are somewhere in between.

• 3. Re: Hard Drives for RAID, Brand Question (Harm??)
              PaulieDC Level 2

My gut feeling is that the WD RE are the most reliable.

I agree. I think I just need to bite the bullet and spend the money. Because I'm doing RAID0 and then backing up right after each editing session, I'm better off paying for reliability (and hope one of the drives doesn't go kaboom in the midst of editing). Eventually I'll get to a rack with 1+0 for speed and redundancy.I suppose I could do RAID1 for now, but I'd rather have performance. Plus, the stuff I'm working on isn't THAT mission critical!

Thanks for the input.