5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2009 9:40 PM by Jim_Simon

ProRes problems in CS4

bpwebster

I'm working on a project shot on the Red in 4K, transcoded to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920 x 1080 using Red Rushes. Now given the choice, I'd prefer to cut in Premiere on my PC instead of FCP on a mac, and on paper it looks like I should be able to; but I'm hitting a big stumbling block.

On the mac used for the transcode, the ProRes files play choppily in Quicktime but play smoothly in FCP. When I bring the files over to my PC, I get the opposite: the files play silky smooth in Quicktime, but when I bring them into Premiere they play back too jerkily to work with. It may just be that my PC isn't fast enough - it's a laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5GHz, 4GB RAM running Vista 32, fast enough to cut DVCPro smoothly but no match for a good desktop - but the fact that it can handle the footage in Quicktime makes me think something else might be the problem.

Is there anything obvious I'm missing? There isn't, for example, a ProRes codec project setting in Premiere - I don't know if that would make a difference.

Any suggestions gratefully received. I have other options (for one thing, I could just transcode to DVCPro HD instead), but I feel like there must be a way to make this work.

Thanks!