6 Replies Latest reply on May 13, 2010 3:51 PM by Johnwizon

Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album

Johnwizon

Hi

When creating a new project in Premiere it places an Album for that project in the organiser under Albums/Video Projects/My Project.prel

I cannot delete this Album from the organiser the dustbin is greyed out.  I can delete my other albums though. Anybody know how to delete the video project Album from the organiser?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Because it's generated by Premiere Elements when you create a new project rather than manually in the Organizer, it doesn't seem to abide by the same set of rules.

In fact, as far as I can tell, there's no way to remove it. It's there permanently -- even if you delete the project file and all references to it.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
            LessPixs

The Projects Folder can be deleted. The following procedure deletes ALL Project items. Close Organizer. In XP go to: Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs\ and delete “My Catalog”. The "My Catalog" folder contains all projects.

When Organizer is started up again, it will prompt for another catalog name. When starting Organizer, the following message occurs: “Failed to Open Catalog. The default catalog could not be found. Please open or create a new catalog.” Click OK. The Catalog Manager now opens. Under “Catalogs” select your desired option. Click the ”New” button (upper right). Enter a name for the new catalog, use “My Catalog” (without quotes). Click OK. You are done and have a cleared project folder.

• 3. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is an interesting fix, Less.

But does it also wipe out all of your tags and Smart Tags?

• 4. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
                LessPixs Level 1

@Steve

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I don't understand the use of smart tags that much so I don't create them or would know if they have been wiped out. I am somewhat new to video editing and got disgusted with all the projects created when I went through the training tutorial. I looked for a way to dump the training projects (hence while searching Google I found your post), and after searching through the PE8 program, found what I posted. After using Premiere Elements 8 for a short time I am going to trash it. I’m tired of all the crashes and the excessively long rendering time. IMO it’s junk-ware.

• 5. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
                  psychogreengirl

Hey howdy there, I think I just figured it out...

I was trying to do that all morning, actually.

shoot, i had the method, but then i was proven a liar by my computer--i'll keep trying, though.

Okay, same premise i had before, but trickier execution, meaning you want ALL video projects listed to go bye bye.  I went through and searched for all files related to the video project i wanted to delete from the elements organizer and I deleted them.  i made sure the video project was cleared and then went to file --> catalog.  then I created a new catalog (my catalog 2), and highlighted the old "my catalog".  I hit "remove" and all those pesky video project files were gone.

I'll keep looking for easier ways that won't be so scary

• 6. Re: Cannot delete Premiere Elements 8 Project Album
                    Johnwizon Level 1

Thanks for all your input

My final workaround is to create a new in work album for each Video project also create a new folder for copied media for the project keeping the original media elsewhere. When finished the Album and Temp media Folder can be deleted if required.

That way I do not fill my main Photo/ Video catalogue with temporay media.and Projects. I prefer to keep my main catalogue junk free and only for finished media.