14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 2, 2012 12:07 PM by Jim_Simon

Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange

Andy Bay Level 1

Hi!

Is there a place where Premiere users can share their AME presets? I tried to google it, but couldn't find anything. I think it would be great to gather a massive collection of ame presets for all kinds of situations -both for NTSC and PAL. At the moment I need to do a lot of tweaking whenever I export to different kinds of formats.

• 1. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
          Harm Millaard Level 7

That makes no sense, because of differences in material/ timeline, and other issues. Besides, I rather trust my own settings. It may all take me around 20 seconds to set them correctly. Looking through a myriad of settings for whatever irrelevant output devices takes far longer and likely with far less quality.

• 2. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
            Andy Bay Level 1

It makes no sense only if you are never using the presets that come with AME. I use them all the time. They are helpfull as a starting point and then I make the necessary few tweaks after choosing that starting point. But I would like to simply have more of these different kinds of starting points, so that I would save me a few clicks. I'm pretty sure people are saving presets that they like and re-using them later, and if that is the case then having presets definetly makes sense. 

This idea came to my mind when I had to adjust the frame size for a preset that I used. I really don't understand why Adobe didn't make it work so that AME would automatically suggest the same resolution as what the premiere project has. We have dynamic link and all that good stuff, but I still need to manually enter  frame resolutions to AME:

• 3. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
              Jim_Simon Level 8

Harm wasn't saying the presets don't make sense.  He was saying the repository doesn't make sense, because it will take you more time to find one that it will to create one.

I have to agree.

• 4. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andy,

What is an example of a preset you have created that you believe other users would like to have?

Or, what is an example of a preset you wish some other user would have created that you could use?

• 5. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                  Andy Bay Level 1

Jim, I wasn't thinking of a system in which I would go to the repository each time I need some preset. I was thinking of having a single zip-archive full with ready made presets by professionals that I would simply download and instal once.That way it would basically be the same as using the presets adobe has included by default, and if those presets are usefull, I can't see why other presets wouldn't be just as useful to have too.

Stan, I think there are many presets that would be usefull to have in AME. For example a PAL 25p preset for mpeg 4.

I would basically prefer a system in which you could choose the best preset not by the techical details but rather by looking at a comparison chart.

The chart could have simple columns like this:

-How long is your video

-What is the resolution of your video

-What is the end-use of your video (internet, dvd, bluray and so on)

-How big can the filesize be

-How universally should the format be supported on different platforms

I'm sure you can suggest some other columns too.

Anyway, I would like the thing to work so that you would answer these basic questions and after that you would get the name for the preset you should use.

I just feel that at the moment exporting to different formats is too confusing in Premiere. It is really easy to forget to change some basic setting when you are in a hurry, like for example the video resolution (I mostly use AE and AE always gets the resolution right in the first place, just like AME should do too) or the field order.

• 6. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                    Jim_Simon Level 8
                    I was thinking of having a single zip-archive full with ready made presets by professionals that I would simply download and instal once.

The scrolling alone to find the desired preset makes me shudder.

• 7. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                      Jim_Simon Level 8
                      I would basically prefer a system in which you could choose the best preset not by the techical details but rather by looking at a comparison chart.

The chart could have simple columns like this:

-How long is your video

-What is the resolution of your video

-What is the end-use of your video (internet, dvd, bluray and so on)

-How big can the filesize be

-How universally should the format be supported on different platforms

Ah, I get it.  Instead of learning the craft of video encoding, you want someone to do the work for you.

Well, maybe try the Elements forum.

• 8. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                        Andy Bay Level 1

I'm sad to say that I find your message quite insulting and I really don't understand what makes me deserve a tone like that. I'm simply trying to improve things. If you don't see this as something that would be useful to you, then don't use it.

As for the part of "Instead of learning the craft of video encoding, you want someone to do the work for you" YES -that's exactly what I want. I want my software to make my life easier and let me focus on the things I do best (storytelling). Actually when you think about it, your line doesn't make sense at all. It would be pretty much the same thing if I told you "Aha! Instead of learning all the binary level code that happens below Windows, you just want to use a graphical interface and let the Micrsoft people do all the work for you".

Are you Jim able to learn everything about all new video formats and codecs and still have time to actually be productive? I'd rather focus on aspects of  production that I'm interested in. There is so much information available these days that one needs to choose what to learn. And if I can have superb presets made by professionals, then I'd be very happy to use them instead of figuring every new format and codec out myself.

• 9. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Andy,

Maybe you ought to consider the approach Ford took with the T-model: You can get it in any color, as long as it is black.

Extend that thought to video: You can get it on BRD, DVD or Web. Period. Not on iPhone, not on Nokia, HTC, or what have you. It makes life a lot easier and this is what made Ford sucessfull.

• 10. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                            Phil Griffith Level 2

why not just make your own presets that you use and save them? Wouldn't that be easier then everyone making there own, you having to download them all, (on a regular basis, and how many do you plan to have in that database to look thru?) don't know bout you, but it only takes a few seconds to click on setting you want, then your done. How does that compare to downloading and then sifting thru all of them to find the one you want? No thanks, I like it just the way it is.

• 11. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                              kishoreda-RrOFau Level 1

I think its not a bad idea to share some of the presets some of us made..

personally myself, i have used the Magic Bullet MisFire preset , but had to change certain parameters within that plug in and ended up having something that i wouldn't stop using it with my green screen , Magic Bullet LOOKS could be an example i guess !

the other plug in that i modified it and using it now is the "NewBlue touch up" i changed the parameters of it a bit and i am using it to get rid of wrinkles and etc !! works for me !!

• 12. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                                Loay El Aswad

Andy, I think it would be great to have these professional-made presets. I'll use them definetly.

• 13. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                                  farrelldoc Level 1

Andy, I think presets are a great idea as well. In fact, I found this thread while searching the web for presets. Alas, no luck for this new user that agrees that production is key. I'm a web designer and technical writer, not an artist or video editor, but I am often tasked with projects outside the scope of my regular experience (which keep my job and resume interesting). Presets would definitely benefit me.

• 14. Re: Adobe Media Encoder presets exchange
                                    Jim_Simon Level 8

Presets would definitely benefit me.

Have you seen what's included with CS6?  There are now so many presets that I find it difficult to get to the one I want.