7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2008 4:34 PM by Newsgroup_User

how to get pages found in search engines?

melmac000
      We just finished a new website using the same web address. When our business is searched in google, the address comes up first on the list, but when prominent information from our site is searched, google picks up on the links from teh old website and leads to a "not found" message instead of routing to our new page. I've inserted keywords and descriptions with no change-- I know it takes some time for new pages to be found in search engines, but it has been a few weeks-- Is there anything I can do?

Your response would be appreciated!!
        • 1. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
          Level 7
          .oO(melmac000)

>We just finished a new website using the same web address. When our business is
          >searched in google, the address comes up first on the list, but when prominent
          >information from our site is searched, google picks up on the links from teh
          >old website and leads to a "not found" message instead of routing to our new
          >page.

That's a mistake on your site. You should setup proper HTTP redirects
          (301 "Moved Permanently") from the old URLs to the new ones wherever
          possible. Just letting old URLs die silently is the worst you can do.
          It's not only bad for search engines, but even worse for your visitors.

Micha
          • 2. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
            Level 7
            >>I've inserted keywords and descriptions with no change

If you refer to meta tag keywords those have been meaningless for years.

Your best bet is to go to the various SEO websites (I like Search Engine
            Watch, High Rankings Advisor, Search engine Workshops, Axandra & Planet
            Ocean) and do a lot of reading. There is nothing quick, easy or permanent
            about SEO. Apparently millions of people will tell you how easy it is. I'm
            not sure if they lie or it's just that most of know being untrue.
            Regardless, they are wrong.

You will never learn how to successfully optimize for the SEs until you
            invest the time and effort to understand how they work

Probably not coincidentally the same goes for building worthwhile websites.
            You can't be successful until you actually understand how HTML & CSS work
            and, I think most importantly, how they interact.

--

Walt

"melmac000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
            news:g58l0e$45n$1@forums.macromedia.com...
            > We just finished a new website using the same web address. When our
            > business is
            > searched in google, the address comes up first on the list, but when
            > prominent
            > information from our site is searched, google picks up on the links from
            > teh
            > old website and leads to a "not found" message instead of routing to our
            > new
            > page. I've inserted keywords and descriptions with no change-- I know it
            > takes
            > some time for new pages to be found in search engines, but it has been a
            > few
            > weeks-- Is there anything I can do?
            >
            > Your response would be appreciated!!
            >

• 3. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
              melmac000 Level 1
              Thanks for your responses! Being new to creating websites (I came in during the end stages of production) i understand basic information about both CSS and HTML.. is there and easy explanation for how to set up HTML redirects on the new website? Also, will that process make the new website take the old website's place in searches?
              • 4. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
                Level 7
                Google 301 redirect

>>Also, will that process make the new website take the old website's place
                >>in searches?

Eventually

--

Walt

"melmac000" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:g58pdv$8hm$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > Thanks for your responses! Being new to creating websites (I came in
                > during the
                > end stages of production) i understand basic information about both CSS
                > and
                > HTML.. is there and easy explanation for how to set up HTML redirects on
                > the
                > new website? Also, will that process make the new website take the old
                > website's place in searches?
                >

• 5. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
                  Level 7

> is there and easy explanation for how to set up HTML redirects on the
                  > new website?

Does your web hosting have a control panel or CPanel?

--
                  Alan
                  Adobe Community Expert, dreamweaver

http://www.adobe.com/communities/experts/

• 6. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
                    Level 7
                    .oO(melmac000)

>Thanks for your responses! Being new to creating websites (I came in during the
                    >end stages of production) i understand basic information about both CSS and
                    >HTML.. is there and easy explanation for how to set up HTML redirects on the
                    >new website?

Keywords to search for: .htaccess, 301 redirect

There are plenty of tutorials available.

>Also, will that process make the new website take the old
                    >website's place in searches?

Yes. It exactly tells the search engines and other machines what
                    happened to the old URLs and how to handle that. That's the whole
                    purpose of the various HTTP status codes.

But as said earlier - your primary goal shouldn't be the search engines,
                    but your visitors! SEs are not the only way to attract visitors. If it's
                    an attractive site many users will also come from other sites linking to
                    you. But don't expect the other site maintainers to frequently check
                    their links. If you change your site structure without setting up proper
                    redirects, many of these inbound links will be broken, leading to 404s.
                    And it will fall back on you, because you broke the link.

So, do it properly: keep the old URLs working by using appropriate
                    redirects, help your visitors and avoid link rot[1].

Remember: A userfriendly site will also be SE friendly almost
                    automatically.

Micha

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_rot
                    • 7. Re: how to get pages found in search engines?
                      melmac000 Level 1
                      I'm embarrassed to say.. but I don't know. We us Earthlink, if that helps