22 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2011 8:50 PM by vegasmark

Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)

reed_safehaven Level 1

Dear Adobe,

I think a lot of people in this forum are pretty loyal to Audition, and rightly so.  It's a great application with quite excellent audio production capabilities.  It's a great workhorse, with a lot of functionality for both mixing and mastering.

Having said that, I think we also all know where Audition comes up short; and boy does it ever.  Namely, of course, is the extremely weak MIDI functionality.  There are some other big ticket items as well (just read the FEATURE REQUEST forum for the big ones), and most of these weaknesses aren't new discoveries; AA3 launched 2 years ago, and it seemed like from day one, people were clamouring for more/different/better features.

Let me reiturate something: The most recent major release of Adobe Audition (AA3) was TWO YEARS AGO (no, I'm not counting the 3.0.1 patch).

I understand that these things take time and the people writing the software are spread thin between AA and SoundBooth, yada yada yada.  But I've also heard that Adobe won't put a ton of focus into AA because it's not a big money-maker.

Fair enough.  Adobe is a business and basic, non-risky capitalism dictates that you focus energy on proven winners (I'm looking at you, Photoshop).

But capitalism swings both ways, Adobe.  We Audition users are loyal, but we also have work to do, and your product is starting to not be able to pull its weight anymore.  I know that I would LOVE to stick with Audition forever, but what incentive do I have?  Why should I keep using a 2-year-old piece of software when newer and better software is coming out all the time for nearly the same price (for $50 more than AA3, I could get the more proven and the more consistently-updated SONAR 8).

I'm sorry to break this to you, Adobe, but if you (like the rest of us) want Audition for succeed, you need to update it immediately.  You need to at least dramatically improve the MIDI functionality.  If an update in the very near future is not an option, then at least tell us what's ahead.  It's no secret that Audition isn't a huge-selling product, but that should let you know that your customer-base is communal enough to warrant a more personalized communication.  Give us a heads up if you're planning on an update/upgrade in a week/month/year.  Let us know if you're not planning on doing anything with Audition for a while.  Do you know how many threads I've read that show Audition customers who aren't even sure if you've discontinued Audition or not?

I'm sorry to say that if action isn't taken soon, I personally am going to try to figure out how to transfer all my Audition sessions into Cubase or Sonar or Pro Tools or Logic, because those are all more viable and workable options for me.

I've been a loyal customer since the days of Cool Edit.  But something has to change, or else I'm heading for greener pastures.

• 3. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
          whawn

What really sux is that Dave at Syntrillium updated Cool Edit all the time -- and never charged extra until it was time for a major version change.  Adobe bought it, renamed it, then ignored marketing and updating it.  Au3 is CEP2 with some new plugins and a crapped up GUI.

Why did they take the icon toolbar away?  Dipsticks.

The new plugins are very good, but Adobe didn't develop them, either, and they don't integrate as well as they might.

Walter Hawn

• 4. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
            ryclark Level 6

Icon Toolbar is still there if you enable it on in the View menu, Shortcut Bar.

• 5. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
              djak24k Level 1

Its also not very universal. I mean, universal with midi, and with VST plugins, (at least for me)

it is also a pain in the *** you cant drop a tempo change marker, and the c++ errors.

Although I love it for editing and mastering, so i guess that is the only reason i still use it as a multitrack DAW. If protools had an edit view and spectral analasys and a few more things like Adobe Id run it ALL the time, but Protools is very simple and will stay that way I belive. ******* Protools. but protools is so damn powerful when it comes to certain things, its deceiving, but my goto DAW is Adobe.

• 6. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                reed_safehaven Level 1

Well, that's it.

I just went out and purchased CAKEWALK Sonar 8.5 Producer.  Once it ships to me, I'll be installing it on my Windows 7 64-bit, 8gb-Ram 2.66ghz-processor custom-built pc.

Sorry Audition.  If/when you update, I MIGHT purchase the upgrade.  It depends on how hard it is for me to re-create all my audition sessions in sonar.  But if it works out, then I'll be staying at AA3 forever.

And it's all Adobe's fault.

Take care.

• 7. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                  JazzMusicMan

Dear Adobe (and the Audition team specifically),

Essentially, a lot of us have been much more faithful to Adobe and Audition than you have been to us.

I was also a Cool Edit user, and was "forced" to transition to Audtion 1.0 which had fewer features and more bugs than the product I transitioned from. I have paid for every single upgrade - even the extremely buggy "joke" upgrade to Audition 2.0 which was completely unusable. And, like most users, I was very optimistic about the VSTi and addtional MIDI support promised in Audtion 3.0. And, also like most users, I was extremely disappointed with the many problems and limitations of the Audition 3.0 release. I have lost several sessions, many .WAV files, and lots of valuble MIDI data due to corruption by Audition 3.0/3.0.1.

I can no longer trust my session work to Audition - I use Cakewalk Sonar 8.x for all tracking and mixing. However, the editting and mastering tools in Audition 3.0.1 are great, but that's the extent of my work with Audition these days.

Is it really too much to ask of you to provide software releases and updates that can be trusted and also keeps up with technology (e.g. 64-bit)? As users, we want to know that our continued "investment" in your products through so many releases will be rewarded.

• 8. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                    MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

I am also one of those who hark back to CoolEdit days. Many moons ago, I used Cakewalk 9 for multitrack recoring until I

changed over to Audition and have upgraded and remained faithful to the Audition line ever since.

I am getting restless.

I need more features ... and a more reliable experience ... with my recording software. I thought AA3 was a great beginning, but it seems as if it was the end. 

Has anyone heard anything about a later version upcoming? If I jump ship for something else, I won't be able to afford coming back.

I've been hanging in there, but ...

• 9. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                      Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/audition/

"Adobe Audition for  Mac, coming in a future release, will bring  modern audio post-production to the platform of your choice. Familiar  tools for audio editing, multitrack mixing and recording will meet  expanded device support, greater workflow flexibility, and optimized  performance. Plus, best-of-breed audio restoration tools make it easy to  clean up production audio. With the essential tools you rely on for  fast-turn projects, Audition for the Mac brings a fresh face to audio  post-production.

We expect to make a public beta of Audition for the Mac  available in Winter 2010."

• 10. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                        whawn Level 1

Todd, That's all well and fine, but perhaps you didn't notice that everybody who has used Audition, and everybody who is annoyed at the lack of development, uses Windows?  Thought I'd point that out.

Making Audition a Mac thing is okay, but how about making it a better Windows thing?

H-m-m-m?

• 11. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

If you follow that link, I think that you'll see that there are plenty of new things in the works, too.

You can follow the Audition team's blog for more updates:

http://blogs.adobe.com/insidesound/

• 12. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                            dbmfpc

Todd,

Any possibility that a new PC version will allow us to export track data (artist-title-track length) from a CD project as an RTF ( or something!) file so that we can import the data for CD labels and liner notes?

Thanks,

Douglas McCullough

• 13. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                              MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

I'm sorry ... the article I read seems to be touting a MAC release. When I go to the Beta form, it says 'MAC'.

Perhaps a clearer write-up about a Windows release and an anticipated release date would be helpful?

I am a .NET/SQL Server developer and know that release dates can slip. But, if you guys don't even have a tentative release date, it must be pretty far down the line, correct? Is it even slated for release this year? Or, next?

Your post is appreciated, but gives us a pretty slim life-line.

• 14. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

I had a guy come into my home studio to do voice-overs for a video comercial. Even he has Audition. AA has a pretty big user base. But, it is getting a bit long in the tooth, now. It becomes even a bit embarrassing to be in brag disucssions about DAW these days. Everyone is so updated ... their DAW manufacturers offering new releases so frequently ... discussions about patches that enhance performance, reliability, etc.

One thing I noticed AA3 does to my Visa Ultimate Quad Core workstation with 8 GB of memory: if I load a live show (meaning long concert with lots of tracks), it will load until every drop of memory is consumed and the workstation is at a crawl. Then, it FINALLY seems to release processes enough to limp along overdubs. But, memory is still max utilized.

Are you guys developing a better way to utilize 64 bits and large memory ... one that does not load down the PC? To handle live concerts, I have to take perhaps an hour to load and stabilize my PC with the tracks, then split it up and save into individual songs, which also takes forever. (And which is, BTW, not a very intuitive process in itself with AA.)

Midi support is so dismal, I don't even use it in AA3.

There are lots of things I like about AA. I've kept using it because I use a suite of Adobe products. But, Adobe Audition should have been maturing ... not hiding out for the last few years. Ya know?

• 15. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                  Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> Any possibility that a new PC version will allow us to export track data (artist-title-track length) from a CD project as an RTF ( or something!) file so that we can import the data for CD labels and liner notes?

I can't comment on which features will or won't be in the new version beyond what's shown on the Labs page. If you would like to request a feature, please submit a feature request.

• 16. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                    MichaelBuieFilms Level 1

If you are saying that the Windows release is due about when the MAC release is due, and with the feature-set described in the article for the MAC version, that is helpful.

Is this targeted for this year?

Thanks

• 17. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                      SteveG(AudioMasters) Level 6

PlatinumProductionz wrote:

Is this targeted for this year?

No it isn't. There will be a public beta around the end of this year, but the release won't be until next year.

Okay, the press release perhaps wasn't the clearest thing in the world, but yes there will be a Windows version as well - of course there will be. Just think of the mutiny there would be otherwise! But with the best will in the world, to make Audition multi-platform requires yet another rewrite - from the ground up. And anybody thinking that this will be a quick and easy job is deluding themselves big-time.

I think that most of the participants in this thread should stop whinging and actually get on and do something... and that does not mean have a go at me, either.

• 18. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                        reed.safehaven

Well, I'm one of the people who went out and did something; I bought a different DAW.

I've been messing around with Cakewalk's Sonar 8.5 Producer.  My analysis:

Sonar is freakin' confusing.

I'm  a professional audio engineer, in the business for over 10 years.  I  teach audio at a major NYC university.  I'm telling you, Sonar is not  user friendly.  I bought it because it's supposed to have super-clean recording algorithms and 64-bit processing capabilities, and as far as I can tell, that's all true.  But if you're looking for a DAW that you'll be able to just install and go (like AA3 or ProTools or even Logic), then stay away from Sonar... unless you have nothing to do for a year and you can devote yourself to learning it.

Does this mean I'm going back to AA3?   Nope.  I'm using Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0.3 for now.  AA3 just doesn't  have the MIDI capabilities or the stability that I need.

So, now onto my continued rant against AA3...

I've watched, rewatched and re-rewatched the videos about AA coming to Mac.  That's wonderful.  But I promise you, unless this new AA has vast improvement over v3, all that's going to happen is that Mac-heads are gonna flood the forums with the SAME EXACT complaints that we've been saying for years (improve the MIDI capabilities.  Improve the stability.  Give us a 64-bit version), except with the Mac-heads it'll be different.  Instead of doing what we're doing and sitting on our hands, scowering the forums for the slightest sign of an update, the Mac-heads are just gonna say "screw it, I'm buying Logic.  I KNOW Logic will work with my mac."

• 19. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                          gooberg

FULLY agree with You!

First Logic Audio (sold to Apple) and now Audition3, same thing is happen again for me.

Logic for Windows users kicking out in the cold, and now Audition3 seems to be version 3 for ever.

I can not sit down and wait for Adobe to update the MIDI function, I want to make music.

Switched to Cakewalks SONAR 8.5 for a month ago.

Thats it, happy composing!

• 20. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                            Paul_Ferguson Level 2

I've abandoned Audition for MIDI.  When I want to do MIDI, I import Audition audio mixdowns into Reaper and do the MIDI in Reaper.  I'm also looking into editing MIDI in FL Studio cuz it's piano roll is a familiar environment for me.  I'm happy enough with that.  I've been encouraged by people who know more about this than me that to expect one program to do everything is a bit unrealistic.  But if it turns out that Version 4 DOES do MIDI and DOES take advantage of Win7/64-bit capacity, I'll be back inside Audition and only Audition in a heartbeat.

• 21. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                              buzshaws

I guess the biggest disappointment for me is that AA 4 for Mac is what Adobe is excited about, hence putting all the time into it.  Since all users currently are PC, why should we be waylaid by the construction of the Mac version?  Certainly we're a captive audience, which is pretty insulting to the user base that put AA where it is.  AA 4 for PC doesn't require the necessary development required for Mac and therefore stands to reason the PC version should theoretically be ready sooner.  It's impossible to deny Adobe's showing exclusive interest purely where a new market stands to bring more revenue, rather than simply providing the current legion of supporters the functions first, then introduce it to Mac (on their time).  Nothing against Mac, it's great to see AA go dual platform.  It's the idea Adobe buys new furniture and rolls out the red carpet for Mac, while we're expected not to come out of the old house until they have their grand opening celebration.  That's corporate infidelity I suppose.  Hardly makes me want to kiss and make up later.  It's not really about how long, but why.  An interesting dichotomy in similar situations, when one calls foul or claims to feel cheated when the action of one side denies the other what they think they should get.  As obscure the point may be (or unless you're a whore; Def. A person considered as having compromised principles for personal gain), that principle works both ways ;-)

• 22. Re: Getting REALLY tired of waiting for a new release (a letter to Adobe)
                                                vegasmark

Sir,

Your credentials dictate that you be a bit more thoughtful when you post regarding what does and does not work for you. Everyone has different strengths and weakneses. I understand that you have had great dificulty wrapping your mind around Sonar as you have stated. I for one was able to very comfortably use Sonar from the very first time I opened it back in 2004 with Sonar producer 3.0.

I am a new person here and am only here to see what type of comunity I will be part of if I decide to purchase this Audition CS5 software I am trying out.

I am unhappy with Sonar these days because of the amount of bugs and errors in the latest release; It has become unuseable for me and I need something else quickly. I have issues with Sonar (as do most users who upgraded) relating to coding, not the GUI or workflow.

Anyway the point I am making is if you are going to offer up your opinions and credentials to support your opinions then why not include some truth about it being YOUR experience and not imply that most will share your inability to understand Sonar. My knowledge of the vast population using Cakewalk Sonar is that workflow and ease of use is one of it's greatest strengths. I understand that is not YOUR experience but until further notice that doesn't make it so for others.

Thanks

Mark