16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2010 9:43 AM by the_wine_snob

Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3

RGracia Level 1

We just purchased a Canon Vixia HG21 and are unable to import the footage into Premiere CS3. Files are of .m2ts extension. Is Premiere CS3 not able to read these? Is CS4 better or able to? What are our options?

• 1. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Options:

1. Other camera

2. Upgrade to CS4

3. Other software

Not necessarily in order of preference.

• 2. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
            Jim_Simon Level 8

CS4 is the first version to handle that kind of media.

• 3. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
              RGracia Level 1

OK so we have upgraded to CS4 and the program still can't import the m2ts files this camera generates. I am confused as the documentation on files supported specifies that Premiere CS4 does support that format, yet I get an "import failure error: File format not supported"

Can anyone shed some light on what we can do to make this work. We can't afford more software upgrades, and given the documentation states the files are supported we went for the upgrade only to find out that it doesn't.

• 4. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                the_wine_snob Level 9
                we have upgraded to CS4 and the program still can't import the m2ts files this camera generates

I assume that this means that you have the full-paid version of CS4. Is that correct? The reason that I ask is because the trial version will not handle anything MPEG.

Now, there have been reports of full-paid versions of CS4 reverting to the trial version, with the updating to CS4.2. If this has happened, again, you will not have support for anything MPEG. One test would be to find an MP3, or some other MPEG Asset, and try to Import that. If you get a failure, you likely have a trial version now. See Below:

The "cure" is to de-Activate your version and THEN uninstall. Run the Adobe Clean Script CS4 3 - 4 times, rebooting between each. Next step is to install the CS4 version, Activate again and then apply all updates to CS4.2. We do not know what causes a few updates to change the installation to the trial, but it happens too often. The above steps, in that order, work for all.

Good luck, and let us know if that helps.

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                  Colin Brougham Level 6

What Bill said...

Another quick check to know whether your installation is hosed is to look at the New Sequence window. If it doesn't look something like this:

newsequence.png

...you'll need to go through the steps Bill mentioned.

This is a problem that's been around for a couple of updates now, and Adobe's reticence to fix this matter is pretty disheartening.

1 person found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                    RGracia Level 1

Well I am able to import mp3 but not a mpg video. Yes we have the full paid and activated version and we never had a trial version installed. We are on the latest 4.2.1 Sounds like a lot of work to uninstall and reinstall, pesoecially when we have a master collection and we would have to do that with all the apps. No time for that. I guess is time to sell this damn camera get something that this software can handle. This is crazy.

• 7. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

Unfortunately, if your version HAS reverted, you will also NOT be able to Export to anything MPEG, like for a DVD-Video.

I do agree that whatever is causing this behavior MUST be fixed, and fixed soon.

I feel your pain, and good luck,

Hunt

• 8. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                        RGracia Level 1

Bill and Colin you are absolutely right. We have two computer licenses and one does import and recognizethe Canon Vixia HG21 camera and new sequence windows shows like Colin's screen. My computer on the other hand is bugged out. I don't even get the HD option when creating a new project and the AVCHD options ins sequence window are not there. I am now going to inistall and reinstall the update to Premiere to see what happens. Thanks for taking the time to shed some light.

• 9. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                          Colin Brougham Level 6

Be sure to uninstall the whole package--everything--not just the borked application(s). It's a waste of time to do anything less. Also, run the Clean Script that Bill alluded to, rebooting each time. Reboot before uninstalling, after uninstalling everything, and be sure to not run any other applications (especially web browsers) before trying to run the updates. Tedious, I know, but trust me--I speak from the experience of reinstalling CS4 about a dozen times.

EDIT: Also, don't forget to deactivate your software before uninstalling... very important.

• 10. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Glad that you got it nailed down. If only this would stop happening!

Colin has given you the details, so I will not go into those. Here's the Adobe KB Article on it.

Because of its importance, I WILL restate - Deactivate everything first.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 11. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                              RGracia Level 1

I have to say the cleanup tools did not run as described on the KB articles, but I did all the removal manually: registry, folders and preferences on my Windows 7 machine. Then restarted and removed my buggy isntallation. Restarted again and reinstalled the whole Master Collection again. Lucky that this first time around things just worked as expected. I can now import my Vixia HG21 files using Premiere CS4. So far so good. I have not updated the application to bring it to the latest version 4.2.1 as I am now unsure if the update will change things after so much trouble. Anyway, thanks again!

• 12. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Well, sounds promising so far. Hope that things continue to look up.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                                  RGracia Level 1

By the way guys, if I update to 4.2 I can import the the files, but I don't get video. So for now we have tostay on the 4.0 version until this issue is resolved. Iguess skipping updates until the next one might be a goos idea.

• 14. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                                    Colin Brougham Level 6

Heh... that means that the updates hosed the installation... again. When you said you weren't going to run the updates right away, I cringed, because I've found that unless you run them right away after installing the base software, the installation breaks. I think this has happened to you, I'm sorry to say.

• 15. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                                      RGracia Level 1

yes, If I had more time in my hands to keep cleaning and reinstalling I would but for now the basic 4.0 will have

to suffice.

• 16. Re: Canon Vixia HG21 and Premiere CS3
                                        the_wine_snob Level 9

Colin,

I had not picked up on that "timing" aspect with these issues. Thanks for pointing that out. Maybe it is the sequence of updates that causes the installation to revert to trial?

Appreciate the comment.

Hunt