9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2008 12:42 PM by newbie1420

image text overlay

newbie1420
      How can I put a text area into/onto a web image, like I have been able to do in Frontpage?
        • 1. Re: image text overlay
          Level 7

"DUCHEYROO" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:g57m7h$1oo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > How can I put a text area into/onto a web image, like I have been able to
          > do in Frontpage?

What do you mean by "a text area"? On a blank HTML page, the whole page is a
          text area.

--
          Patty Ayers | www.WebDevBiz.com
          Free Articles on the Business of Web Development
          Web Design Contract, Estimate Request Form, Estimate Worksheet
          --

• 2. Re: image text overlay
            newbie1420 Level 1
            I (in Frontpage) was able to select an image, insert a text box to type in, that was an overlay on top of the image. It gave sharper text than if I did the text in the image in Photoshop.

• 3. Re: image text overlay
              Level 7
              "DUCHEYROO" wrote
              >I (in Frontpage) was able to select an image, insert a text box to type in,
              >that was an overlay on top of the image. It gave sharper text than if I did
              >the text in the image in Photoshop.

Uh, I know what you mean, no, you can't do this in DW. Fireworks would be
              your best bet for that. With its seamless integration with DW, it takes but
              a couple of minutes to select the picture, select "edit in Fireworks", lay
              the text over it and save it again.

Barbara

• 4. Re: image text overlay
                Level 7
                Hello,

You can make the image the background image of a container, like a <div> and
                put the text in the div.
                Just make the div the same size as the image in your CSS.

Be aware though that having text over an image is problematic (in frontpage,
                DW, etc) as text size is dependant on the user's browser settings.
                If someone has their browser set to a larger text size than what your
                browser is, the text will position differently over the image and possibly
                expand beyond it.
                Text size can grow or shrink, image size is static.
                The only way to keep the text in the same place in the image is to add the
                text to the image in a graphic program.

Take care,
                Tim

news:g57m7h$1oo$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                > How can I put a text area into/onto a web image, like I have been able to
                > do in Frontpage?

• 5. Re: image text overlay
                  newbie1420 Level 1
                  I'm see...I'll just do in Photoshop when I prepare the image. Any suggestions for text sharpness when doing this?
                  • 6. Re: image text overlay
                    RolyRoger Level 1
                    Yes I would like to know to please advise
                    • 7. Re: image text overlay
                      Level 7
                      The only way to get sharp text is to save the image as an 8-bit PNG. A
                      24-bit PNG might work but would be huge (byte size). I've never seen truly
                      sharp text in a JPG (maybe if there was 0 compression).

But if the image is a photo, PNG might degrade the image too much.
                      Tradeoffs! There are always tradeoffs. If they are too costly either way you
                      might want to rethink your design approach,

--

Walt

news:g57ui9$a69$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                      > I'm see...I'll just do in Photoshop when I prepare the image. Any
                      > suggestions for text sharpness when doing this?

• 8. Re: image text overlay
                        Level 7
                        Sharpness is also affected by the extent of anti-alias used in creating the
                        text.

--
                        Murray --- ICQ 71997575
                        Adobe Community Expert
                        (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
                        ==================
                        http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
                        ==================

"Walt F. Schaefer" <walt@waltswebworx.com> wrote in message
                        news:g5870f$j2d$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        > The only way to get sharp text is to save the image as an 8-bit PNG. A
                        > 24-bit PNG might work but would be huge (byte size). I've never seen truly
                        > sharp text in a JPG (maybe if there was 0 compression).
                        >
                        > But if the image is a photo, PNG might degrade the image too much.
                        > Tradeoffs! There are always tradeoffs. If they are too costly either way
                        > you might want to rethink your design approach,
                        >
                        > --
                        >
                        > Walt
                        >
                        >
                        > "DUCHEYROO" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                        > news:g57ui9$a69$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                        >> I'm see...I'll just do in Photoshop when I prepare the image. Any
                        >> suggestions for text sharpness when doing this?
                        >
                        >

• 9. Re: image text overlay
                          newbie1420 Level 1
                          I tried the 8 bit .png and it isn't bad. Thanks for the help and have a good weekend!