2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 12:54 PM by canoli99

AI CS4 Crash on Save tip - Windows

canoli99 Level 1

Hey guys -

Just thought I'd share this solution for persistent crashes on Save, Save As, Save 4 Web in Illustrator CS4 on a PC.

If you've gone through the "delete prefs" trick and it doesn't solve the crash issue, take a look at your Print Spooler.

You can try to stop and restart it  - go to Services.msc in the Run dialog box via Start menu - but that did not work for me.

The tip I wanted to share is this:

MS has a utility program that will set your Print Spooler back to its default configuration. In my case I didn't have any printers online at the time, but I figured it can't hurt. Sure enough running this little utility program fixed the problem.

For me the crashes came out of nowhere; was fine yesterday, started crashing on every Save this morning. So apparently the problem is not directly related to a plugin or a new preference.

Anyway, you can find this microsoft Print Spooler utility program at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000007

Click the "Fix It" icon and d/l the program. Run it and then reboot your system; hopefully that'll do it. It did for me.