9 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 12:50 PM by Webshark2000

Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly

jcochran123

I am having issues with rendering is Premiere CS4. Everytime I import files (png, gif, swf) and try to render them they are distorted.  I pay close attention to match the original file settings in my presets and have used the interpret footage option and that doesn't either. I am using a custom setting with a square pixel ratio and 24 fps.  Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
          Webshark2000 Level 1

Everytime I import files (png, gif, swf) and try to render them they are distorted.

Are these image sequences or stills?  Are you applying any effects, resizes or movement to them?  What do you mean by them being distorted?  Are they stretched horizontally, vertically, or some other type of distortion?  What is the dpi settings of the images?

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
            jcochran123 Level 1

The images are stills at 72 dpi and are being stretched horizontally with no effects to them. The swf files do have fade in and fade out effects.

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
              Jim_Simon Level 8

gif, swf

Those two are cause for some concern.  They're not typical source material, particularly the latter.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                jcochran123 Level 1

I tried importing the swf into After Effects and then into Premiere and got the same results.

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you don't edit swf files.  You create them when you're done editing standard camera media.

• 6. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                    Webshark2000 Level 1

JSS1138 wrote:

I guess the point I was trying to make is that you don't edit swf files.  You create them when you're done editing standard camera media.

I agree.  Is there a reason for using swfs?  Are you creating some animation effects in Flash or are you using swf sources that you didn't create yourself?

Do the images look distorted in Premiere or is it just when you export?  If it's just when you export it sounds like the export has different aspect ratio settings than your project.  Check to make sure all of your export settings match your project (Especially Frame size and Pixel aspect ratio).

I usually try to use 32-bit targa files for still images or a Photoshop .psd file since both can retain the alpha information.  JPEGs work well also, but can't hold alpha info.  Can you bring some of your images into Photoshop, convert them and see if that helps?

• 7. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                      jcochran123 Level 1

The images look distorted when I render in Premiere.  The preset settings match my original media. I created all of the swf files myself and am using premiere to export to mpeg. I will try using psd to see what I get.

• 8. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                        jcochran123 Level 1

I failed to mention that these exact same files rendered just fine is Premiere CS3.

• 9. Re: Premiere CS4 Renders incorrectly
                          Webshark2000 Level 1

The preset settings match my original media. I created all of the swf files myself and am using premiere to export to mpeg. I will try using psd to see what I get.

What are your settings?

You can export video files out of Flash.  I would try exporting your Flash as an AVI and see if Premiere handles it better.  In Flash, go to File --> Export --> Export movie, or just press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S.

As I understand it, this will only work if your Flash project just starts up and plays straight through without stopping.  If you have any interactivity in it (such as a user needing to press a "play" button) it'll just go to that point and stop.

I'm assuming you've created some animations that need to be done in Flash?