6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2009 10:44 AM by Jim_Simon

Opening CS4 file in CS3

holografer Level 1

I haven't been able to open a Premiere Pro CS4 file (.prproj) in Premiere Pro CS3. I get the message "The project could not be loaded, it may be damaged or contain outdated elements."  And CS4 will not save as a CS3 file (.prproj).  Why, you ask, would I want to bring an edited CS4 file into CS3???  Because the FLVs produced by CS4 are "soft" (blurred) compared to FLV files produced in CS3 and I don't want to have to re-edit the production.  Does anyone know if it's possible to get an edited file from CS4 into CS3?  Thanks!

• 1. Re: Opening CS4 file in CS3
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Backward compatibility is seldom possible, if ever. Closest that I have come is Encore CS3 Projects do Open in EncoreDVD 2.0, with few issues, but that is the ONLY instance that I have seen.

Now, one could Export from CS4 and then Import the resulting file in CS3 for the FLV Export. Maybe the Lagarith Lossless CODEC would help here?

Another way might be to take the CS4 Project into AE and then take that into CS3. Have not tried this, so there could be a few pit-falls and workarounds.

Sorry, but compatibility is usually one way - up and never down.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 2. Re: Opening CS4 file in CS3
            Jim_Simon Level 8

You may have no choice but to reedit.  The projects aren't backwards compatible.

(Or, find another FLV encoder.  I find that HC Encoder produces better MPEGs than AME myself.  There may be one that's better at FLVs as well.)

• 3. Re: Opening CS4 file in CS3
              holografer Level 1

Thanks Jim for your input.  I did already know that most software are not backward compatible although Carrara is one software that is.  Usually, also, most software allow saving back at least one version, but obviously not with this version of Premiere.  Thanks again for confirming what I feared.

Steve

Steve Michael

Senior Web Designer

Dewberry

8401 Arlington Blvd

Fairfax, VA 22031

www.dewberry.com

• 4. Re: Opening CS4 file in CS3
                holografer Level 1

Thanks Hunt for your input.  I did already know that most software are not backward compatible although Carrara is one software that is.  Usually, also, most software allow saving back at least one version, but obviously not with this version of Premiere.  Thanks again for confirming what I feared.   I shall consider some of your alternatives below.

Steve

Steve Michael

Senior Web Designer

Dewberry

8401 Arlington Blvd

Fairfax, VA 22031

www.dewberry.com

• 5. Re: Opening CS4 file in CS3
                  holografer Level 1

Hi Jim:

What is the HC Encoder?

Thanks.