5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2011 8:49 AM by ECHBI

Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer

coolcatco888 Level 1

Hi,

Recently I was trying to print a document that was 3MB in size.  It was a scanned pdf of 11 pages.  I wanted to print 2 pdf pages per page.  It would take literally 30mins to print the whole thing but some of the pages were blank or cut off.

I have no idea why, the printer prints other documents (word, excel, outlook emails) no problem.

I checked the printer queue it was 200MB,  I have a screenshot of when it just completed sending only 2 pages (150MB) in the picture.  What is wrong?

I think this is a big bug and it can be quite frustrating when you need it in a hurry.

• 1. Re: Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer
          h8printingadobe Level 1

Welcome to the wonderful world of printing Adobe. In two words I can describe printing with Adobe...... IT SUCKS!!

Here is what I have found out so far in troubleshooting this with the help of people on this forum and searching on the web and with NO HELP FROM ADOBE AT ALL!!!!! That is what you will find....Adobe is of no help and does not seem the least bit caring or willing to help. Now back to what I have found.

Adobe for some unknown reason wants to contact all printers you have mapped before it will print. So lets say you have a printer or two that no longer exist on the network it will try and contact them until some timeout value is hit so it will take a long time.

And because Adobe will contact every printer before printing the more printers you have mapped the longer it will take.

Also, because you have a 3Mb file does not mean that is truly how big it is when it tries to print...Oh NOOOOOOOOO! that would be way to easy for Adobe. I am not sure what exactly causes the huge bloat when trying to print Adobe, I am sure Adobe knows but do they fix that.....NOOOOOO!! I have seen some 30Mb Adobe documents get up over 750Mb...try sending a couple of those to a printer with little memory....THANKS ADOBE!!!!

Adobe also from what I have read does not play very well with PCL drivers and supposedly likes Post Script drivers but they still have the same printing issues with both so not help there.

Well that is all I know so far hope that helps. Please post anything you may find in your troubleshooting as it looks like this forum is the only help Adobe is going to provide.

And to show how well Adobe is doing, yesterday Adobe announced that it will cut 9 percent of its work force. I am very sorry for all the workers let go and I think they should sue the upper-management for ineptness.

Thanks,

H8PrintingAdobe

• 2. Re: Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer
            coolcatco888 Level 1

Hahaha,

Well put my friend, that really made my day!  Quite funny that Adobe lets you post this.

• 3. Re: Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer
              h8printingadobe Level 1

Glad I brought a smile to you. I do wish Adobe would do something on this and I am not sure why they keep so hands off. I have seen this type of issue posted all over and most say Adobe is of very little help. I am glad to see they don't censor critics, I actually hope they see these types of posts and use them to improve, but that may be asking a lot... :-)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Mike

Also do you like my screen name........

• 4. Re: Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer
                coolcatco888 Level 1

Yes, actually never payed attention to the h8 part of it until now. haha.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

• 5. Re: Adobe Slow to Print, Sends 200mb file to Printer
                  ECHBI Level 1

It doesn't use the printer driver to handle the stuff that it should.  Instead it appears to try to render everything within reader.  Major issues with this when you have multi-function devices in the work environment.