18 Replies Latest reply: Feb 17, 2011 6:47 AM by killmister RSS

icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4

rww0001*

I have been using InDesign (various versions) for years with many icc profiles, some custom, some canned.  I recently bought a MACPro with OS 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and the latest Adobe Creative Suite (CS4 Design Premium). Everything works fine with Photoshop, Illustrator and Acrobat. But with InDesign, I can no longer choose icc profiles for printing on my Epson Stylus Pro 4000. Does anyone have any suggestions that might make InDesign useful again? I reinstalled InDesign CS2 just to see if it could read the profiles using OSX 10.6 but to no avail. I still have my old MAC tower but I would prefer not to return to that.

RWW

• 1. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
          Was DYP Community Member

Do a search here for that it is a well known problem. And no 10.6.2 did not fix this issue.

• 2. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
            Gola Raj Community Member

Try this : Go in Photoshop > Color Settings > Be sure all the selected profiles should be as per your requirement. Save a .csf file at specified location. Go in Indesign Load that .csf file. You can select these manually from ID.

• 3. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
              Was DYP Community Member

Here you go, if you have not found anything in your search.

I am seeing the same thing both with a clean install and a upgrade install of 10.6. or 10.6.1 and now 10.6.2. For some reason Indesign can not see profiles in any of the user or system profile folders.

You can copy your profiles to /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles folder, or if you need to use/print from other than Adobe applications you can create an alias of your profiles folder(s) and place that into the /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles folder.

• 4. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4

Copy paste is just for introduce the profiles with application but finaly he has to select profile manually from applications color setting.

• 5. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                  Was DYP Community Member

Gola Raj wrote:

Copy paste is just for introduce the profiles with application but finaly he has to select profile manually from applications color setting.

You make no sense. What are you eluding to?

With SL and Indesign the profile that are in the system folders do not so up to even select. But, the profile that are in the Adobe folder will.

• 6. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4

I was saying same thing, I understand that why we need to paste profiles in Adobe folder but after pasting the profiles, he has to select that (recently pasted) profile manually from color setting.

• 7. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                      rww0001* Community Member

Thank you for responding to my question. The solution proposed worked fine. I copied my profiles to Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles and now InDesign sees them and prints using them. One thing to note: Be careful not to duplicate files through copying. It caused ID, PS, and AI to crash until I figured it out.

• 8. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                        Was DYP Community Member

One thing to note: Be careful not to duplicate files through copying. It caused ID, PS, and AI to crash until I figured it out.

That is why I would recommend using an alias of the system folders in the Adobe folder.

• 9. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                          rww0001* Community Member

Thought you might be interested in how Adobe support responded to my inquiry. Because the solution presented here worked, I am hesitant to redo the fix presented by Adobe. But your comments would be interesting.

FROM ADOBE:

We understand that your InDesign is not showing the icc profiles. We
                          have worked on your Issue and recommend you to follow the steps given
                          below :-

1. Please Login as Administrator before you start.

2. ReCreating InDesign Preference files.

a. Quit InDesign.
                          b. Drag the "Version 6.0" folder from Users/[user
                          name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/ to the desktop.
                          c. Drag the "Version 6.0" folder from Users/[user
                          name]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/ to the desktop.
                          d. Restart InDesign.

• 10. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                            Peter Spier CommunityMVP

They are saying to trash your prefs. If you do that, back up all your presets first -- you'll lose them. Adobe InDesign CS4 * Setting preferences

• 11. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                              Was DYP Community Member

rww0001* wrote:

Thought you might be interested in how Adobe support responded to my inquiry. Because the solution presented here worked, I am hesitant to redo the fix presented by Adobe. But your comments would be interesting.

FROM ADOBE:

We understand that your InDesign is not showing the icc profiles. We
                              have worked on your Issue and recommend you to follow the steps given
                              below :-

1. Please Login as Administrator before you start.

2. ReCreating InDesign Preference files.

a. Quit InDesign.
                              b. Drag the "Version 6.0" folder from Users/[user
                              name]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/ to the desktop.
                              c. Drag the "Version 6.0" folder from Users/[user
                              name]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/ to the desktop.
                              d. Restart InDesign.

Anybody try this? Does it work.

Since I did a clean install partition and a clean install of CS4 and had the same behavior of the profiles not showing up, I seriously have my doubts about this. Seems like a canned answers from someone who has no idea what the issue even is.

• 12. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I'm on Windows and not affected by this, but I doubt that prefs are at the root of the problem, too, and would tend to agree that this is an answer from someone reading a script that has no idea what to do.

I STRONGLY recommend to anyone who tries this that they keep the old folders so they can put them back when it turns oout nothing gets fixed.

• 13. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                  bungalowindustries Community Member

Just tried it... no, it doesn't work.  Will now try the 'alias' fix.

Tried the alias fix by finding my HP Designjet profiles buried in Library/Printers/hp/Profiles/Designjet and placing an alias to this folder in the Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles folder... and it works.

Phew.

What with this, and the Adobe PDF PPD not appearing when selecting a postscript printer to get a .ps file out... it very much looks as though the print team were on a long coffee break through much of ID CS4's development.  So many crucial loose ends left undone.

• 14. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                    bpylant Community Member

Just be careful that folder you're making the alias of doesn't contain an alias back to the folder you're putting it into -- AI will not launch if this happens, as it will keep bouncing back and forth between the two folders as it follows the aliases.

I guess we're SOL for a fix in CS4, now that CS5 is almost here.

• 15. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                      Peter Spier CommunityMVP

I don't know if there will be a fix, but I wouldn't abandon all hope yet. In the past there has been a final "compatibility" upgrade to each version after the new one is released to allow opening exported files from the next version, and many times last minute bug fixes are included if development of the new version has found a way to take care of the problem.

• 16. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                        candaceCRG Community Member

"Just be careful that folder you're making the alias of doesn't contain an alias back to the folder you're putting it into -- AI will not launch if this happens, as it will keep bouncing back and forth between the two folders as it follows the aliases."

Was just about to post the same thing.

I created an alias pointing to the ColorSync > Profiles folder and posted it in the Adobe > Color > Profiles folder. When I did that, I noticed that the Adobe profiles folder also had an alias pointing back to the ColorSync profiles folder. I was curious what would happen, so I went ahead with it (saved everything first, of course...), and sure enough, when I went to Edit > Convert to Profile in InDesign, it hung for about 45 seconds, and then crashed.

What I did instead was put the profiles I needed from ColorSync into a subfolder, and then added an alias to the subfolder into the Adobe profiles folder.

• 17. Re: icc profiles, OS 10.6 & InDesign CS4
                                          dflskdflskdjflskdj Community Member

On Snow Leopard I solved the ICC profile problem for InDesign by placing the profile in:

/Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles/Recommended

Just placing it in /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Color/Profiles did not work.

I didn't need to restart InDesign or anything else.

OS 10.6.x and CS4 Indesign.