12 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 8:14 AM by PaulieDC

Windows 7

MaxDBWP

I want to build a new 64 bit editing system with my Matrox RTX.2 is a Windows 7 up date on the way soon? Anyone, Anyone, Bueller?

Thanks

Dennis

• 1. Re: Windows 7
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Bad idea. Not Win7, but Matrox.

• 2. Re: Windows 7
            shooternz Level 6

Hey Harm

Can you post a link to your 'Ideal" System Hardware  Spec info please. I assume its current and updated.

Thanx

• 3. Re: Windows 7
              MaxDBWP Level 1

I am still recearching what MB,Video card ect. I will get. I am looking at:

Intel Core i7 920 CPU

I have looked and several MotherBoards but have not zereoed in on one yet I want to run 12 gigs of ram but I'm not sure if I should go with  Triple Channel or Double channel RAM. Any ideas on that?

For the Matrox I need the x58 chipset and the video card should be GeForce at least 1gig.

I hope I can build it soon but I won't till adobe and matrox both have Win 7 updats.

And to those who don't like Matrox, channel George Carlin and use the station slector to go to a different channel, one you like.

Dennis

• 4. Re: Windows 7
                Jim_Simon Level 9

With an i7, definitely go with a triple channel main board.

• 5. Re: Windows 7
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

You have seen my setup:

PCResults.jpg

Now, several months further along, with all kinds of new developments and experiences, I would change the following:

CPU cooler: Noctua NH-U14 SE

Video card: Either the ATI 5870 or an nVidia GTX295

Memory: OCZ Platinum XTC OCZ3P1600LV12GS

Disk cage: SuperMicro CSE-M35T-1B (3x)

Additional disks: 4 x 1 TB disks to be configured with the existing ones as 3 x 5 R3 in raid30, 12 TB net storage

Cache on the Areca: Kingston KVR667D2E5/4G

Not that my system is bad, but these might be the latest improvements to be made. I don't consider SSD's as worthwhile yet, maybe in two years.

• 6. Re: Windows 7
                    Harm Millaard Level 7

Your remark is not correct. i7 has nothing to do with double or triple channel memory. Memory configuration is entirely chipset dependent. X58 is only triple channel with QPI, P55 is only double channel FSB based. Both are DDR3 however.

Let me repeat a warning about P55 versus X58: P55 is less expensive than X58, but has only 16 PCI-e lanes. X58 has 36 PCI-e lanes.

• 7. Re: Windows 7
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      With an i7, definitely go with a triple channel main board.

Why? There is no need, sometimes not even the possibility and there is no discernable performance difference.

Maybe if you did some benchmark tests and read about motherboard/chipsets you would know that.

• 8. Re: Windows 7
                        Jim_Simon Level 9
                        i7 has nothing to do with double or triple channel memory. Memory configuration is entirely chipset dependent.

The memory controller for the i7 is now located on the CPU die, not the North Bridge.  And there are i7 mobos out there which will only allow a dual channel memory config.  That just seems a waste, given that the i7 was designed for triple channel memory.  Hence my comment.

• 9. Re: Windows 7
                          Harm Millaard Level 7

Incorrect for Lynnfield, then only double channel applies and your remark is still incorrect. Bloomfield is different, but you should know that.

• 10. Re: Windows 7
                            Jim_Simon Level 9

Given the lack of 32nm upgradeability due to the Lynnfield's LGA1156 connection, I just assumed we were talking only of Bloomfields here.   The OP seemed to be at least, as he mentioned the 920.

Have you reversed your position on the 8xx series of i7's?  Are they now a recommendation of yours?

• 11. Re: Windows 7
                              Harm Millaard Level 7

No. Had you read the warning in post #6, you would have understood why.

• 12. Re: Windows 7
                                PaulieDC Level 2

DING! End of Round 1.

Dennis, Harm's rig is totally impressive, almost scary (TWELVE HDs in a RAID array! Wow!).

Here's my simpler rig. This is not the list I'm telling you to buy, I'm just listing what I have so you can ponder and decide:

• i7 920 (no brainer, don't skimp on the CPU)
                                • EVGA X58 Mobo (Model #:132-BL-E758-A1)
                                • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (7 Pro is FINE, Ultimate isn't really needed. 7 Pro is very robust).
                                • 12GB of Patriot RAM (Two 6GB kits, #PVT36G1600ELK ). You don't have to use Patriot, I just did because of a good sale. Works fine so far.
                                • Video: EVGA 896-P3-1255-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB
                                • Western Digital (WD) 300GB 10K RPM Raptor for system drive (OS, Production Premium CS4, not much else... keep it lean!!)
                                • Two WD RE3 1TB drive in RAID0 for assets (waiting to be installed, currently using an eSata external drive for now).
                                • WD 750GB Caviar Black for writing projects to. Don't use the blue or green series for critical media work. At a very minimum, a three-drive setup is the way to go.
                                • I use a Corsair 850w-TX PSU to power the whole mess.

I also have two LaCie external Quadra drives for backups. Oh, I did throw in a cheap $45 WD blue Caviar drive (250GB) for junk files, such as the stuff you'd store in My Documents, etc. I don't put any of that on my C drive (the Raptor), again, keep it lean. Having that junk drive removes the temptation to store junk on your editing drives. Also, I don't have Microsoft Bloat, er... I mean, Office installed, I keep that on my laptop. Leaner is better!

BTW, with Vista or 7 you can take an image of the C drive after you install 7 and PP CS4, and if the drive goes, just restore the image to a new drive and you're on your way. This eliminates having to deactivate Adobe software, re-register Windows, yadda yadda yadda.

OK, just a peek to someone else's world for some info... have fun assembling your new rig!