2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 5:13 AM by Wade_Zimmerman

Offset Path Please HELP!

IYIasteI2

I have a plugin for illustrator called Cutting Master 2 that is used to with a craftrobo. This will take an image and cut it out so there is no border. Well, the tutorial show how to do this with text. But, I need to do it with an image that has a transparent background. It shows going to object > Path > Offset Path (this will be the cut line). This works with plain text. But, it's not an option with an image that was imported. This is a picture of the Capitol Building so trying to trace it is out of the question. Anyone know of a tutorial on how I would do this to a image that has a transparent background?

• 1. Re: Offset Path Please HELP!
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

This is a picture of the Capitol Building so trying to trace it is out of the question. Anyone know of a tutorial on how I would do this to a image that has a transparent background?

Well, that is an oxymoron and simply not possible. Where there is no vector shapes, there can be no cutting. Laser cutters and plotters function completely different from printers and having unique coordinates is a critical prerequisite, which can only be generated from vector paths. Like it or not, the image will have to be traced in one way or the other, either using auto-trace or manual rebuilding, depending on teh quality required.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Offset Path Please HELP!
            Wade_Zimmerman Level 6

Well if he image has a transparent background and the contour is sufficiently accurate for your needs then go back to Photoshop or open it in Photoshop.

Then command/control click on the icon i the layers panel to turn it into a selection, make sure there are no pixels in the transparent portion of the document.

Then go to the Path Panel from the flyout select make path and save the path. You can select the path and copy and paste or you can go to file>Export>Paths to Illustrator that will get you your vector path.

But before exporting that path I would make certain that I zoom in and see that the path is accurate enough and make adjustments as need if any.