5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 8:28 AM by Harm Millaard

Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts

Deemac1965

Hi,

I decided to have another go at getting CS4 Production Premium to work. (To cut a long story short, I was on CS3, everything worked fine, upgraded to CS4 and I couldn't get Premiere to output or render anything, went back to CS3!!).

I've now loaded Windows 7 professional 64bit. (applied all updates)

Loaded all of CS4 production premium and applied all the updates I could find (750Mb worth!!)

So now I try Premiere (V4.2) and I have no shortcut keys!!

Ctrl S does not save, Ctrl V does not paste etc. etc. Absolutely no shortcut keys whatsoever.

Anyone any ideas? Is my installation flawed? I'm I missing something obvious?

Never come across a programme with no shortcut keys before. This surely is not correct.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts
          Deemac1965 Level 1

Hi all,

Me again, just as an aside, but Premeire is actually now rendering my movies - Yipee!! At least we get some good progress and my thoughts of abandoning Adobe completely are put on hold for now!!

I assume my shortcut issue is a one-off strange one that is unique to me (AGAIN!!)

Love and peace to all . . . . . .

(though Adobe are still off my christmas card list this year for now)

• 2. Re: Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts
            Deemac1965 Level 1

OK, for what its worth I have solved this issue myself!

I reinstalled Premiere and added all available updates and the shortcut keys have now returned. I can only assume there was some glitch with my first install. Anyway as I purchased my CS4 upgrade last March, its only taken 8 months to get CS4 to operate as it should have done!! This is not good in my opinion and I will be VERY warry of any future updates by Adobe.

I will be keeping a careful eye on this forum in future.

I would say I highly recommed upgrading to Windows 7 professional (64 bit), especially if you are on Vista (as I was). I'm so far very impressed with this OS (even before a service pack has been released).

For now I am a happy chap!!

• 3. Re: Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts
              Harm Millaard Level 7

Good that you got is resolved. Happy editing.

The fact however that CTRl+C or CTRL+V did not work is more indicative of a wrong keyboard/region setting for Windows than a problem with Adobe.

• 4. Re: Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts
                Deemac1965 Level 1

Thanks Harm, something to consider, but all the other Adobe progs (PS, AE, AI etc.) had working shortcut keys. I suspect I had a dodgy install with Premiere and a re-install sorted this out. At least Media Exporter is now functioning!!

I still think I need a new PC though. i7 CPU with 12Gb of RAM etc. to get this lot to actually run smoothly!!

Is a RAID 1 hard drive setup recommended? Will it help performance?

Also wondering about a solid state system drive. Any thoughts?

• 5. Re: Premiere CS4 keyboard shortcuts
                  Harm Millaard Level 7

A raid1 will not help performance. it will only make a mirror of your disk. SSD's are not yet ready for prime time IMO. Too expensive and too small and still under development for the trim function. In 2 years time, they may be very interesting. I mean, does it really matter if your program starts in 4 seconds or 12, when you have a 2 hour encoding session ahead of you?