13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2009 8:39 AM by emmyx

Adobe's commitment to AIR

metamind2

I have had a look around this forum and there are loads of unanswered questions. Why is there not someone from Adobe answering these? This is the place where people looking to try out their new product come for help and support. This shows a real lack of commitment to the product. A vendor's commitment to its platform is a major factor in programmer's buy in.

• 1. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
          scholarpack

I have also been concerned over this percieved lack of interest by Adobe. The link below shows a post I made over 2 weeks ago that is not answered. I also filed a bug about it but did not get any confirmation, indeed I don't know how to check on the bug's status - can anyone help? I would think that such a security issue as I reported would have recieved some interest.

http://forums.adobe.com/message/2295164#2295164

• 2. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
            metamind2 Level 1

Hmmm. Still nothing on any of my posts. I also emailed them trying to clarify a couple of points about their distribution license. Nothing.

I think I am going to use google's gears.

• 3. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
              Robert Christensen Level 2

Apologies, but we have been a bit slower than we would like in respinding to quesitons on the forums. We have been working on getting the AIR 2 beta out. What is your quesiton related to distribution?

- Rob

Adobe AIR Team

• 4. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                dhamu.dharan

Hi Rob,

Restarting an Adobe AIR Application is not working during Silent installation.

Consider I am having  testapp.air which contains "Restart" button and has following Code in click event.

Here are my two scenarios.

First One...

If I install testapp.air(which has following code) on a machine that already has Adobe AIR installed on it and I click on
                   the 'Restart' button in the testapp it works fine. (The app is closed and restarted and the window reopens)

import mx.core.Application;
                  import mx.core.WindowedApplication;
                  import adobe.utils.ProductManager;

public function reStart():void
                  {
                    var app:WindowedApplication =
                        WindowedApplication(Application.application);

var mgr:ProductManager =
                        new ProductManager("airappinstaller");

mgr.launch("-launch " +
                        app.nativeApplication.applicationID + " " +
                        app.nativeApplication.publisherID);

NativeApplication.nativeApplication.exit(0);
                  }

Second one..

Now, we have a need to bundle Adobe AIR with our app and install Adobe AIR in 'silent' mode. I followed the directions in the Adobe
                  AIR bundling agreement and used the following command to install it:

testappInstaller.exe -silent -eulaAccepted -location "C:/Program Files/" -desktopShortcut testapp.air

If I do this, when I click on the 'Restart' button it does NOT restart the application. The issue seems to be related to installing
                  Adobe AIR in silent mode.

I would greatly appreciate any assistance Adobe is able to provide for this issue.

• 5. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                  metamind2 Level 1

The question about licencing is:

If I develop an application that uses air, what will it cost (distribution licence wise). I think it might be free but haven't found anything that says so yet outright. If so, will it always be free? Where can I find a (readable) overview of your distribution terms?

• 6. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                    Joe ... Ward Level 4

Sorry, free legal advice given on a forum is worth what you pay for it.

The EULA is here: http://www.adobe.com/products/air/tools/sdk/eula/ Look in section "2.3 Distribution"

Short summary (as I understand it): yes, you do not have to pay Adobe to distribute an application you create with the AIR SDK.

• 7. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                      Juan_G Level 1

The second scenario is failing because the component called by the ProductManager API, "airappinstaller" is not installed to the user's directory during a silent install. You can verify this by looking into the appropriate directory for your platform:

Mac:

~/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash\ Player/www.macromedia.com/bin/airappinstaller

Win:

%APPDATA%\Macromedia\Flash Player\www.macromedia.com\bin\airappinstaller

juan

Adobe AIR QE

• 8. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                        ab1301 Level 1

Well, this should allay your fears to some extent: http://www.adobe.com/devnet/logged_in/rchristensen_air_2.html

• 9. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                          dhamu.dharan Level 1

Hi juan,

I have another doubt.

Is it possible to start AIR application(Flex-based) immediately after Silent install.

We have already signed up Adobe AIR Runtime Distribution Agreement.

and i am using below command line for silent install.

airinstaller.exe -silent testapp.air

It works fine. But i want to launch AIR application immediately after Silent install.

Is it possible?

cheers

Dhamu

• 10. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                            Gregory Lafrance Level 6

Just thought I would comment on the original theme of this post, is Adobe committed to AIR, and for that matter, to Flex and the overall web enabled Flash platform.

I just got laid off from Adobe (Nov 10) after 7 years as a full-time employee, where I was a member of the Flash Authoring and Photoshop localization teams. I've been involved in Flex for 3 years now, so I'm actually loving this opportunity to pursue Flex opportunities full-time now.

Flex and AIR are essential to the future of Adobe. Some of the company's most talented employees, engineers, product managers, evangelists, QE, etc. are working extremely hard to improve both Flex and AIR. We see this in the radical changes in the state, skinning, and layout models in Flex 4, the major new features of AIR 2.0, and the new support for RLT (right-to-left) languages such as Arabic and Hebrew in Flash Player.

But Adobe, and its individual employees, like all companies and employees, set certain priorities and makes decisions, and in this case Adobe does not have a mandate that no forum post will go unanswered. Some Adobe employees, such as Alex Harui of the Flex development team, and incredibly active in this forum, and without him many posts would go unanswered.

Could Adobe and its employees place more emphasis on supporting the Flex/AIR community? Absolutely they could, and to do so would be an insanely great opportunity to show how much more different they are from other big software companies. But they are a big company, and still growing, and that results in challenges.

So as a former Adobe employee who on the one hand loved my time in the company, while at the same time is extremely psyched about joining a smaller company doing Flex development, I'm reassured by the fact that Adobe is guiding Flex and AIR. They don't get everything right, but they are very successful, they merged with Macromedia (great move!!!), and they will make Flex/AIR/Flash "the" platform to be using over the next 10+ years.

Raving of a Flex junkie or thoughtful consideration? I'll let you decide.

Oh yes, if this post answers your question or helps, please mark it as such.

• 11. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR(Updated)
                              dhamu.dharan Level 1

Hi juan,

Your suggestion regarding restarting AIR Application works for me. Thank you.

But i have another doubt.

Is it possible to start AIR application(Flex-based) immediately after Silent install.

We have already signed up Adobe AIR Runtime Distribution Agreement.

and i am using below command line for silent install.

airinstaller.exe -silent testapp.air

It works fine. But i want to launch AIR application immediately after Silent install.

Is it possible?

cheers

Dhamu

• 12. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR(Updated)
                                Oliver Goldman Adobe Employee

Yes, it's possible to start an AIR application immediately after a silent install. However, it doesn't work via the ProductManager API, as illustrated above. The ProductManager API is not public so, even if it did work in this scenario, we'd make no promises not to break it in the future. There is currently no officially supported "restart" API.

You can work around this by installing an update to your application via the Updater API. While it obviously does more work than necessary, it triggers a restart and should work in this scenario.

• 13. Re: Adobe's commitment to AIR
                                  emmyx

Glad to hear that I can distribute the Adobe AIR application without paying the royalty fee to Adobe.