8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 5:31 AM by Jeff Bellune

Quicktime output is brighter than original

Victor.D

I have noticed that Quicktime movies exported from Premiere Pro CS 4.2
      tend to be brighter than original material.

Let's say if i export a movie to Photo-JPEG codec with the quality of 100 and import it back to premiere - it will be noticably brighter. So it's not an issue

of Quicktime Player.

The same applies to some other QT codecs. At least Animation codec seems to be correct, but i don't like it because it produces very huge
      clips.

I have anything "updated", latest versions, etc.

Can anyone help please?

• 1. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
          Harm Millaard Level 7

There is a reason QT is called QuiRckTime.

• 2. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
            Jim_Simon Level 8

Just don't use Quicktime.  Hell, don't even install it.

• 3. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Now that you've heard from our quirktime experts....

I don't have CS4 and can't help you directly either, but there is a history of QT gamma issues that can require some thought about your intermediate and final delivery format.  These can vary depending on the codec (QT is not QT, anymore than AVI is AVI - as you are noting) and the platform (PC vs Mac).  Hopefully someone will comment that knows what the issue is, but, if not, google QT gamma and see if that produces any suggestions.

• 4. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
                the_wine_snob Level 9

To add to Stanley's comments, there is a post from about 9-12 mos. ago, where a user experienced the same issue. She researched the problem and came up with a workflow to remove embedded flags in the QT files. For her, this yielded files with correct gamma. It might take some boolean to pin-point that post, but you can also include my screen name in the search, as I did make comments - mostly applause to the poster for the work done. I'd go at this with Google, to limit the search terms better than the forum Search function.

I'm sorry that I do not recall all of the details, especially the resolution of the problem, but the details are downthread in that post, and there is great similarity to your problem and those of the OP in that thread.

Good luck, and if I can find a link to that post, I'll add it for you - my boolean is just not as good as it should be...

Hunt

• 5. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's one LINK.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Here's another LINK, but this one involves Cineform files. Not sure if I am confusing posts here, but might be worth a look too.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
                      Victor.D Level 1

Well, thank you guys for the answers! I just made following conclusions:

- Gamma tag removal is not helping in my case.

- Tweaks inside Quicktime player and the video file itself don't change anything actually.

- Third party (AVID) QT codecs are not good for CS4 (at least) because they appear in wrong color space when imported back to the project.

- Photo-JPEG (.MOV) could have been an ideal codec for me because of quality + speed + size + no indexing on import + no long times for multiplexing after render but... FAIL because of gamma!

- Well, after all of this i made a decision to use MPEG2 (HD).

At least colors are correct, quality is a bit lossy (even at highest 100mbit i can notice some minor flaws) but very good anyway, the speed is great, file size is super nice. Yeah, indexing is not a cool thing but nothing compared to Quicktime major issues with misrepresentation of gamma.

Recently i've started to like Mac's and everything related. But after this issue i'm no longer planning to switch to Mac.

Intel Mac is a 99.9% PC anyway (only 3 times more expensive)

• 8. Re: Quicktime output is brighter than original
                        Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

- Third party (AVID) QT codecs are not good for CS4 (at least) because they appear in wrong color space when imported back to the project.

I think this is a CS4 bug; HD clips that should be imported as 709 are being imported as 601.

-Jeff