Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Topic headings not showing in Firefox, with RoboHelp HTML version 8 WebHelp

Nov 11, 2009 Nov 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. I have just upgraded a customer's Help project to RH8, with a WebHelp layout.

The finished WebHelp Guide works fine in Internet Explorer 8.

But Firefox 3.0.1.5 (latest update) does not show topic headings (style Heading 1) where they are automatically linked to the Topic Properties > Topic Title.; i.e. the topic heading is a Field {Title}, using rh-variable_start name="title" etc. Firefox only shows the topic heading if the heading exists as text in the WYSIWYG field.

I checked a backup copy of the compiled WebHelp that I had generated using RoboHelp HTML version 7, and this works OK - all topic headings that are fields display OK in Firefox.

2. Also, some images (.gif format) do not display in Firefox that is generated by RH8.

Any ideas, anyone?

Philip

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Latest FF version is 3.5.5, perhaps an update will fix this.

I've always found projects to display and work better in FF rather than IE 7 or 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you referring to your RH7 or RH8 WebHelp projects?

I just downloaded FF 3.5.5 and get the same symptoms.

Help, anyone?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2009 Nov 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you post an example source file?

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Willam,

I cannot post it publicly, but is it OK to use your work email address at C****ic?

Greet

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just in case it was a bad installation of FireFox, I did a thorough uninstall using Revo Uninstaller, and then downloaded a fresh copy of FF 3.5 and installed that. The problem still exists. I tried Google Chrome as well, and have the same problem in Chrome. But IE8 gives perfect operation.

On the topic headings, I had applied a DHTML fade-in on page load. Worked fine up to RH7. So I tried removing this fade-in from the headers on the four topics, and also removed it from the troublesome tools1.gificons.

The heading text now appears on one of the topics, but not on the other three, and the icons now appear in all four topics.

If I can't fix this, I may need to revert to RH7 and rebuild using my backup copy of the project source in RH7 format.

"Perplexed of Gloucester".     ;o)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2009 Nov 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Note: All I post here are my findings. I didn't test all DHTML effects and I'm not a javascript guru, so I may be wrong.

As far as I can find, this behaviour is defenitly a bug, although  it's not related to headings, CBT's or images. This is what I found:

Whenever you have multiple DHTML-effects that kick in on load, Firefox only displays the one that is defined first in the topic. In the bottom of the topic, you'll find a script like this:

<script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2">//<![CDATA[
    if( typeof( InitEffects ) != 'function' ) InitEffects = new Function();
    InitEffects('img1','x-on-pageload: fadein();');
    InitEffects('h11','x-on-pageload: fadein();');
    InitEffects('h111','');
//]]></script>

In this case, the image with id img1 is loaded first and displayed correct. All subsequent effects (heading with id h11) is not displayed. Putting the heading in front of the image will show the image, while the image is not displayed.

I suspect that the effects are not correctly parsed into

if ((gbBsNS6)&&(srcObj.addEventListener))
        srcObj.addEventListener( noOn.toLowerCase(), new Function("event", newHandler ),false);

on line 2994 and 2995. Changing or deleting line 2995 effectively removes kills on load effects (ie not showing anything with an on load effect) as expected.

If you also use DHTML effects and find the same behaviour as Philip, please post a bug report.

Greet,

Willam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 16, 2009 Nov 16, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Willam.

I can confirm this is a reproducible bug. in RoboHelp version 8.

• I just created a new Help Project.
  • Apply menu > DHTML > Insert Edit Dynamic HTML Effects > Page has been loaded > Fade In - to the topic title and to images.
  • Build the Help Guide into WebHelp.
  • View it in Internet Explorer - OK
  • View it in Firefox -              Topic Headings not displayed; images not displayed.
  • View it in Google Chrome - Topic Headings not displayed; images not displayed.

See example project source and webhelp files attached (zipped) if anybody wants to see and experiment.

I have reported this as a Bug.

[Pity; the customer likes the DHTML effects, which are OK with RH7, so I'll have to stick with RH7 till it is fixed.]

Philip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp