5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 11:55 PM by moccamaximum

How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?

Tod Elkins

Hi - I am an editor and AE user, don't use flash - I have received an .fla file that has all the elements available, at 600 x 400.  I'd like to expand the composition to 720x480 and have all the elements scale inside, and center up.  I have tried what I thought was a logical approach, which is to expand the comp and then group all the elements on the timeline and then scale them.  But, no luck.  Any ideas?  I'd bet this is a simple thing to do, just don't know how to do it.  Any help, much appreciated.  Cheers, Todus.

• 1. Re: How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?
          Ned Murphy Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know what you mean by center up, but here's an option that might work well if your file's content is not image laden (meaning it uses Flash vector graphics rather than imported images).  If the file is being displayed in a web page, just change the dimensions of the file specified in the html embedding code.  This will work even if your file does have images, it's just that the images may start to look unclear due to being enlarged slightly.

I do not know how to do what you want to do in the editor except for going piece by piece... that is not saying there isn't a way to do it all at once, I'm just not aware of it.

• 2. Re: How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?
            Tod Elkins Level 1

Thanks, Ned.  What I mean by 'center up' is that the elements will scale but also move to the center of the newly resized comp - when I've tried to expand the pieces, they've stayed in place, which is to say to the left side of where the smaller comp used to center.

This element is going to end up being exported to quicktime and then compressed to DVD spec.  If there were a way to export a comp from .fla to .aep, that would be fine too - but, it seems that one can only export the other way, from .aep to .fla, using xfl.

• 3. Re: How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?
              moccamaximum Level 5

If all the animations are in one scene a possible way to do this is to mark all the frames of all layers having checked the option "change multiple frames", and also unlock all locked layers.

Leftclick the first frame of the first layer, hold down shift key and leftclick the last frame of the last layer). Now be sure that above the time line (where the frame numbers are) all frames are between the opening and the closing bracelets, then rightclick  one of the selected layers and choose: Cut Frames. Your Timeline should now be empty, but still having empty frames. Delete all the layers and insert only one single layer with one single frame. Go to the Menu Insert>New Symbol(Type Movieclip). give it a name like "_animation" (that way it will be easy to find in the library), Righclick the timeline of that symbol and choose: "paste frames"; your complete animation with all the layers intact should be pasted. Now go back to the main time line (which only contains one single empty frame and drag the movieclip _animation into your scene. Rightclick that movieclip and choose Free Transform, hold down the Shift Key(PC) and scale to the desired size. All the animations, objects inside the movieclip will be scaled and positioned properly.

Attached a file where you can see the results.

• 4. Re: How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?
                waterfall_zen Level 1

I have a similar problem.

I have to change the file dimensions of one Flash file and move everything (tweened animation, still objects) up x pixels and left y pixels so they would fit in the new screen dimensions. I have "change multiple frames" selected and selected multiple layers and screens that cover an animation sequence. Then I nudged them with arrow keys. It does not appear to move all at the same distance. My animation start to move diagonally.

How can I achieve what I need without redoing all the animation?

Thanks,

• 5. Re: How do you expand a composition and scale all the elements' relative positions and sizes?
                  moccamaximum Level 5

The first thing you should do is "convert" your whole timeline to one single movieclip. How that`s done? Read my post above.