2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 10:58 AM by Colourjam

General Script Enquiry

Colourjam

Hi All, new to the idea of scripting here, so please bear with me.

Firstly,  is it possible for the Javascripts that would be based in Indesign to work and incorporate other platforms such as Photoshop within the same script? For example I would initiate some kind of automation where I could instruct selected images to be renamed, converted to cmyk and relocated to a final image folder, then Indesign to relink to these newly named  images.  Is this possible?

Secondly, as I am not in the least  bit experienced in Coding , is there not away for the script to record my actions, or is the only real option to train my self up in this new language.

I look forward to a reply

Many Thanks

CJ

• 1. Re: General Script Enquiry
          Kasyan Servetsky Level 5

Firstly,  is it possible for the Javascripts that would be based in Indesign to work and incorporate other platforms such as Photoshop within the same script?

Yes, you can do this using BridgeTalk — communicating from InDesign with Photoshop, Illustrator, Bridge. Here is an example of such script: http://www.kasyan.ho.com.ua/resize.html

Secondly, as I am not in the least  bit experienced in Coding , is there not away for the script to record my actions, or is the only real option to train my self up in this new language.

No, you can't record your actions in InDesign like in Photoshop. However, you can record the Photoshop's part of the code using script listener and use it in your script. I think you have two choices:

• Start learning scripting yourself (Warning! This is not for faint hearted ).
          • Hire a professional scripter.

Kasyan

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: General Script Enquiry
            Colourjam Level 1

Thanks for your reply. I will try and learn some scripting, how long would it take.. yeah yeah... how longs a bit of string...I hear ya!