19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 9:45 AM by the_wine_snob

[cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0

HarryPutnam Level 1

Sorry my mind is so blank... but couldn't really think where to start.

I haven't used premiere CS4 very much but last time I used it I didn't have anything like this problem.

I captured about an hour of mini-dv using scenalyzer, and a dv capture port on a DVStorm2 (canopus) card.

Intel P4 with P4C800-de mobo.

I saw no problems.  I then transferred the clips to machine where I have a CS4 bundle installed and started to go to work on them with premiere.

That machine is a near twin to the capture machine but no DVSTORM card and CS4 Installed.

After loading the clips, I can't see any video in either the source monitor or the program monitor.  I have audio and the little viewer in the project window shows a graphic image when I select a clip. (I see no motion there though)

I started fiddling around dragging a clip on to the timeline, and at some point I got video in program monitor, but still not in source monitor.  Then at some point the program monitor showed no video again.

I went back to the capture machine and tried the clips there with Premiere 2.0.  They display fine So, I thought maybe something bad happened during the transfer.  To test I imported a transferred clip into the CS2 version on the capture machine and even pulling it across the network the video is fine on premier 2.0.  So apparently the transfer is not the source of the problem.

I need some help debugging the CS4 setup or some ideas how to find the problem.

I probably have basic default settings but not really sure about that because its been a while since I used premiere cs4.

• 1. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
          Harm Millaard Level 7

Did you happen to use a Canopus codec in Scenalyzer? If so, then use the Canopus DVConverter to change the wrapper to MS DV AVI type2.

• 2. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Following up on Harm's suggestion, you can use G-Spot to determine all aspects of your Captured files. That will tell you exactly what was chosen and will direct you on your next step. It might be as simple as installing the Grass Valley/Canopus CODEC onto the CS4 machine - or, conversion.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
            • 3. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
              HarryPutnam Level 1

Harm Millaard wrote:

Did you happen to use a Canopus codec in Scenalyzer? If so, then use the Canopus DVConverter to change the wrapper to MS DV AVI type2.

I did yes, and I thought of that not long after posting (more on that later), so to test I opened a video file that wasn't done with canopus tools and find it doesn't display either.

Here are the pertinent lines from gspot:

File Length Correct
              DV Type 2 AVI
              AVI v1.0
              DV Audio/Video: 62.0 MB (94.90%)
              AVI Copy of DV Audio: 3.31 MB (5.07%)
              AVI Overhead: 16.9 KB (0.03%)

And from the video panel on gspot:

Codec: dvsd     Name: DVC/DV Video

==============================================

Now as it turns out it appears the clips are not done with canopus aftera all.  I hadn't actually checked with gspot:

File Length Correct
              DV Type 2 AVI
              OpenDML (AVI v2.0)
              DV Audio/Video: 396 MB (96.24%)
              AVI Copy of DV Audio: 14.1 MB (3.43%)
              AVI Overhead: 1.36 MB (0.33%)

And from the video panel:

Codec: dvsd     Name: DVC/DV Video

Anyone have more ideas of what to check or do?

• 4. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

If Canopus is the system-level DV codec, then it will likely be used for

all DV video files whether Canopus-captured or not.

GSpot does not differentiate between brands of DV codecs.  That's why

"Canopus" doesn't appear in GSpot.

Install the Canopus DV codec on your other system and hopefully you'll

be good to go.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                  HarryPutnam Level 1

Jeff Bellune wrote:

If Canopus is the system-level DV codec, then it will likely be used for

all DV video files whether Canopus-captured or not.

GSpot does not differentiate between brands of DV codecs.  That's why

"Canopus" doesn't appear in GSpot.

Install the Canopus DV codec on your other system and hopefully you'll

be good to go.

-Jeff

Sad to say, before I got busy with gspot I was so convinced that Harms' idea was right, I installed a demo copy of Canopus NLE, Edius which installed several canopus Codecs.

According to Sherlock2, it intalled these codecs:

Canopus DV
                    Canopus DV Decoder
                    Canopus HQ
                    Canopus HQ Decoder
                    Canopus HQ Encoder
                    Canopus Lossless
                    Canopus Lossless Decoder
                    Canopus MPEG2-Intra Decoder

But it made no difference in how Premiere works.  Although the install of edius didn't require it.. I rebooted too in case that has some effect on how codecs install.

So apparently these is still some rock unturned that may have a clue.  But what?

• 6. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0

The only time I have seen DV clips behave like this in the presence of the proper codec is when the DV AVI files are type-1 and not type-2.  Use a program like DVMP Pro to determine if they're type-1 or type-2.

-Jeff

• 7. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                      HarryPutnam Level 1

Jeff Bellune wrote:

The only time I have seen DV clips behave like this in the presence of the proper codec is when the DV AVI files are type-1 and not type-2.  Use a program like DVMP Pro to determine if they're type-1 or type-2.

-Jeff

So the output of gspot that says its type 2 is baloney too?  Just curious, if gspot can't tell what the details of a codec are and can't determine what type an avi is, what does it actually do that is reliable?

At severe risk of being a dunce again, I don't see how to get that information with my copy of DVMP-pro.  It can play the video,  insert or export metadata it says, and you'd think that would be it, the metadata would have it, but when I do the export, it creates a *.cvs file with 60 lines of the form.

00:05:04;11,00:05:04;14,29/10/09,16:37:50,60,1.5,ON,10,AUTO,AUTO,,32,UNLOCKED

My payfor verion is 1.2X and I see that is pretty old now so I got the demo version of the newest one and I don't really see how to get that informatoin with it either.

Other applications appear to have no problems with the caputured clips,  I even rendered a short piece so the line tunred green inside premiere CS4 and it still fails.  Also remember from a few posts back that premiere 2.0 also has no problems with these clips.

• 8. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0

So the output of gspot that says its type 2 is baloney too? 

My apologies, Harry.  I didn't take a good look at your GSpot output.  Lately, I've been dealing with Lagarith and UT and other AVI codecs so much that I'm not used to seeing the "DV Type 2 AVI" line in GSpot.  Missing that info was completely my fault.

Disregard all after "The only time I have seen DV clips behave like this..."

BTW, I think File | Properties in DVMP Pro will get you the info you need.

-Jeff

• 9. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0

Also remember from a few posts back that premiere 2.0 also has no problems with these clips.

I *think* that Premiere Pro 2.0 still relied on DirectX for video playback, so the type-1/type-2 issue wouldn't have mattered since DX can play back type-1 DV avi files just fine.

-Jeff

• 10. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

Here I go trying to remember things, but I believe that PrPro 2.0 had already departed from DirectShow and DirectX. However, I do stand to be corrected.

Also, other than some OOS issues, and the inherent Duration limitations, I've never had any other problems with Type I's, though that does not mean that CS4 might not.

Hunt

• 11. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                              HarryPutnam Level 1

Is there still a way to remove a preferences file and get a fresh start?  I found 1 at:

C:\Documents and Settings\harry\Application Data\Adobe\Premiere Pro\4.0\Adobe Premiere Pro Prefs

Renamed it and did see a little different behavior, but 2 workspaces I created and saved were still there so must not have had the efffect I wanted.

The newest behavior was very short lived.  Imported 1 microsoft avi type 2 and when I double clicked it, it did appear and play in the source monitor.

I then drug it to timeline... and it crashed instantly when I pressed spc.

Anyone have an idea how to continue debugging here?

• 12. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                the_wine_snob Level 9
                                and it crashed instantly

This is not a good sign. Maybe this ARTICLE will give you some tips on finding "clues," as to what is happening when the program crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 13. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                  HarryPutnam Level 1

the_wine_snob wrote:

and it crashed instantly

This is not a good sign. Maybe this ARTICLE will give you some tips on finding "clues," as to what is happening when the program crashes.

Good luck,

Hunt

It was just premiere that crashed, not the machine.  It seems competely stable in any other way.  After Effects, PS, AI all at once is not a problem on this machine.

• 14. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                    the_wine_snob Level 9

Harry,

That article's title is a bit misleading. I have tried to get it changed, but have failed for many months. It should still yield some clues, at least I am hoping.

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - I hate that the author cannot EDIT a post!!!!

• 15. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                      HarryPutnam Level 1

Will it be worth re-reading the post though it has no bearing whatever on this problem, and downloading some special video viewing tool so I can watch a long mostly off topic video.... hehe

• 16. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0

That article's title is a bit misleading. I have tried to get it changed, but have failed for many months

What do you want it changed to?

PS - I hate that the author cannot EDIT a post!!!!

The author can......until it's replied to.   (and sometimes even beyond that, but I don't know how or why)

-Jeff

• 17. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                          the_wine_snob Level 9
                                          What do you want it changed to?

Jeff,

I think that a title along the lines of "Program or System Crash - Finding Clues" would be better.

The author can......until it's replied to.

This is true for a reply, but does not seem to be true for an original post - at least not on my machines with IE. Once an original post is uploaded, there is no Edit button for me. [Remember, you have the MOD console.] Now, replies often have them, until a user has replied. This seems to depend on the phases of the Moon too, as some, with zero replies, do not have the Edit button (for the author), and some retain that button for months?!?!?

If you can alter the title of that ARTICLE I would be greatful. I should have considered things a bit better.

Thanks,

Hunt

• 19. Re: [cs4] No video whatsoever on CS4, but plays on 2.0
                                            the_wine_snob Level 9

Jeff,

You "da' man!"

Thank you,

Hunt