10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 10:43 PM by Laurence Schuberth

combining SWF files into one project

gabrielaVzla

Hi.

So, I have been working on my applications separately and would now like to combine them into one page. Embedding in HTML is easy, but then I get the little loading bar in between pages, and in order to avoid this I have now been experimenting with embedding SWF files within FC.

I got an error...  Looked in the Code space and it says identifier 'swfcontroller1' used more than once

What should I do?

Here is a picture.

Thanks,

gabriela

• 1. Re: combining SWF files into one project
          Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Hi Gabriela,

You have encountered a known bug in beta II where two SWFController objects get the same ID which causes a compile error. This bug will be fixed when Catalyst is released.

This bug occurs when you add swfs to different states. If you first add all the swfs you are going to use to one state, then the bug doesn't occur.

Fortunately there is a workaround:

1. Remove all embeded swfs from the artboard. Do this by shift-selecting them in the layers panel and clicking the trash icon

2. Now, add them all back to the artboard. Drag each swf from the Library panel to the stage. The key is to make sure you add them all to the same state

3. Now you can adjust which swf appears in each state by toggling visibility in the Layers panel

Ty

• 2. Re: combining SWF files into one project
            gabrielaVzla Level 1

Easy enough. Will try it out.

Thanks!

• 3. Re: combining SWF files into one project
              gabrielaVzla Level 1

Take that back... Uff! I tried everthing I could think of, but it still ain't working.

Here's the file.

Maybe my SWFs are too big?

Its 1.4Mb in total.

• 5. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                Tvoliter Adobe Employee

Thanks for posting the file

I opened the file in Catalyst and ran in successfully without an error. When I looked at the code, the id's of the swf controllers were different.

In the code I see:

id="swfcontroller1"

and

id="swfcontroller2"

Are you getting the same error with this file?

Ty

• 6. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                  gabrielaVzla Level 1

Nope, no error this time... and it looks good in FC.

Problem happens when I try to publish. Shows up blank with the exception of the buttons. Have you been able to publish the file?

Thanks.

• 7. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                    Tvoliter Adobe Employee

I tried publishing the SWF file and ran into the problem you are describing. I am not an expert on the publish to swf feature, so I have logged a bug in our system. If I find a work around or have more info I will let you know.

Ty

• 8. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                      gabrielaVzla Level 1

Ok. Please let me know!

Thanks.

• 9. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                        Tvoliter Adobe Employee

I have an alternative workflow that should get you past this bug. Instead of publishing two swfs from each of your Catalyst projects and then trying to combine them into a new Catalyst project, I recommend a workflow using fxpl's.

An fxpl file is a file that just contains your components in a project. You can use this format to move components from one project to another.

Try this:

1. Look at both of your projects and decide which one will function as the primary app. The other project we will use just to generate components that will be imported into the primary app.

2. Open the project that is not primary. Make sure that all the content you want in the app has been turned into a component. Check this by looking at the Libary panel.

3. In the Library Panel, right-click and choose "Export Library Package". This will save an fxpl file with all your components

4. Open your primary app. Then choose File > Import > Library package. Chose the fxpl file you saved earlier

5. All those components from the first file should appear in your Library panel. Place each component on the artboard to incorporate them into your design.

A benefit to this approach is that the imported components are still editable. With the embeded swf workflow you tried earlier, each swf is an opaque component that can't be edited.

Ty

• 10. Re: combining SWF files into one project
                          Laurence Schuberth

Hi Ty, would this be the problem I was having recently. I had a small FC project I exported as swf the imported that swf into a larger project, when I ran the project to test it, it kinda went into a loop and multiple instances ended up running off the screen.

I'm getting my head around FB a little, would this be the better way to have multiple swf's in the one project??

Cheers

Laz