13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 1:55 PM by PK42

Video and sound mismatch/misalignment

PK42

Hi guys,

I have been having very frustrating time due to a mismatch/ misalignment of sound and video in my PE 7 projects.

The source fiel is OK as I can see this when playing back the unedited file in Nero or Windows Media player - sound and picture match perfectly.

However, once I add them to a project, the sound goes erlier than the picture.

I have tried creating a new project and used varios footage from different tapes (HDV from a CANON HV30)

I am not 100% sure, but I think the gap between the sound and video grows the closer to the end of the file/footage I get. It gets as bad as 1 sec difference.

Has any of you experienced anyhting similar and do you have any suggestions on how to solve it?

I really appreciate your help.

Thanks a lot.

PK

• 1. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

It could be a couple of things.

What type of camcorder is specifically causing this problem and how are you getting the video into your computer? Also, do your project settings match your video type? You can tell by placing a clip on your project timeline. There should not be a red or green line above the clip on your timeline.

• 2. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
            the_wine_snob Level 9

An additional question is, are there any red frames in the Video footage? This is how PrPro handles dropped frames in Capture. Depending on the number of these, the OOS problems will occur and they will be dynamic, i.e. the OOS will increase as does the Duration and the number of dropped frames. I would assume that PrE does something similar, when frames are dropped during Capture, though someone else will have to confirm, or deny this.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
              PK42 Level 1

Hi Steve,The camcorder used is Canon HV30, shooting HDV on mini DV tape.I capture the video by connecting the camcorder via firewire, open a new project in Premiere Elements 7 and then do the get video from HDV camcorder option.

What is strange to me is that when I capture the video it goes onto my hard drive and I can play that file perfectly fine (no out of sync sound) directly in Windows Media player or other video player. It is only when I place the video file onto the time line that I start seeing the mismatch...

My Project settings match the video - I have selected HDV, 1080i in the project settings and I did not get the standard warning of mismatching project and camcorder settings. I am not at home right now so I cannot verify the red or green line thing, but will do later and let you know.Tanks a lot,Peter

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 14:44:49 -0700

To: kartalovp@hotmail.com

Subject: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment

It could be a couple of things.

What type of camcorder is specifically causing this problem and how are you getting the video into your computer? Also, do your project settings match your video type? You can tell by placing a clip on your project timeline. There should not be a red or green line above the clip on your timeline.

>

• 4. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                PK42 Level 1

Hi Hunt,thanks for getting back to me.how do I check for the red frames? Also, I'd think that if there were any frames dropped I'd lose both the video and sound together, so not to result in misalignment of sound and video???

Thanks a lot, Peter

Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:47:27 -0700

An additional question is, are there any red frames in the Video footage? This is how PrPro handles dropped frames in Capture. Depending on the number of these, the OOS problems will occur and they will be dynamic, i.e. the OOS will increase as does the Duration and the number of dropped frames. I would assume that PrE does something similar, when frames are dropped during Capture, though someone else will have to confirm, or deny this.

Good luck,

Hunt

>

• 5. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment

From what you've told me, you should not have a red line above your clips on the timeline. So, if you do, we need to take a closer look at your workflow.

Beyond that, it could just be a performance issue. So be sure to let us know how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have, what operating system you're running and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive.

• 6. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                    how do I check for the red frames? Also, I'd think that if there were any frames dropped I'd lose both the video and sound together, so not to result in misalignment of sound and video???

The red frames will show in playback. Also, remember that I am relying on what happens in PrPro - PrE might be totally different in this respect. Also, when Capture is done, if there are dropped frames, there should be a warning message about them.

To check, I'd change the Timeline Display View to show ALL frames, zoon in a bit on the Timeline and then manually scrub through the Timeline, looking for single frames that are solid red. Also, as this is PrE, look for any other solid color too.

What happens very often is that for whatever reason, the Video does not make it over in the transfer, but the Audio usually does. In PrPro, one can usually correct the OOS by just cutting out the dropped frames.

Remember that this is just a guess on my part and may well not apply here.

Along with Steve's system question, add info on your I/O sub-system, i.e. your HDD's, their speed and controller type. For non-AVCHD playback, the I/O is very important to correct and smooth playback. Since FW Capture is just a bit-for-bit digital transfer, there should NOT be any problem. That's what makes it hard to troubleshoot - it should NOT be this way. That playback in WMP is fine is not a definitive answer, as there is a big difference between playback and editing (this can manifest itself in playback in the editing program and not in a pure player).

I've got an ARTICLE on fixing OOS (drifting OOS requires a bit more work), but it should be a "last resort," as there is no reason for you to be getting it, unless there are things like dropped frames, a system bottleneck or a mismatch between the Project and the source footage. Finding out what's going on is Job 1.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 7. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                      PK42 Level 1

Hi Steve,my PC is not that bad:Intel Core2Duo 1.8Ghz processor3GB of RAMWindows XP SP3Over 150GB of free space on hard drive.

Also, I have actually burned the complete DVD to a disk and it shows the same problems, so it is not just a messed up preview...do you think there is anything else I can look into?

Thanks a lot for your Help,Petar

Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 06:32:48 -0700

From what you've told me, you should not have a red line above your clips on the timeline. So, if you do, we need to take a closer look at your workflow.

Beyond that, it could just be a performance issue. So be sure to let us know how fast your processor is, how much RAM you have, what operating system you're running and how much free, defragmented space is on your hard drive.

>

• 8. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment

Let us know if you're seeing that red line above your clips!

• 9. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Here is where to look for that "red line."

Red_line.jpg

Hope that this helps,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                            PK42 Level 1

Hey Hunt,

thanks for that,

I have neither green nor red line, so I guess all is fine.

Assuming that my PC is powerful enough, should I accept that somethign happens during capture? I have recaptured teh video and still get the sam eresult.

Thinking of trying a different capture software?

Good idea?

Cheers,

Peter

• 11. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                              the_wine_snob Level 9
                              Thinking of trying a different capture software?

For SD material, many love Scenalyzer Live (shareware) and for HD, they love HDVSplit (freeware).

Good luck,

Hunt

• 12. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                                i_dream_of_jeannie Level 1

Can you check if the video and audio drivers of your system are updated and the latest?

• 13. Re: Video and sound mismatch/misalignment
                                  PK42 Level 1

I will.

Thanks for the advise.

Cheers,

Peter

Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:15:03 -0700

Can you check if the video and audio drivers of your system are updated and the latest?

>