1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 11, 2009 6:43 PM by Adolfo Rozenfeld

Video rendering for DVD to be played in widescreen

Kate Koyama

Hello there!

I am currently makinga video that'll be played in a HD screen. The video will be burned into a DVD.

My composition size is 720 by 480 (4:3), since the TV is a widescreen I decided to change it to 720 x 480 (16:9), however, even though it is still a 720 by 480 composition, my graphics seemed to have shruken, they don't occupy the new setting like it did before I changed. Is there anyway to fix that, without having to redo the whole thing so it fits the widescreen???

Also if i do regular 720x480, and use iDVD to burn it, can I choose widescreen project from iDVD??? Will my 4:3 quicktime movie play as 16:9???

• 1. Re: Video rendering for DVD to be played in widescreen
          Adolfo Rozenfeld Adobe Employee
          even though it is still a 720 by 480 composition, my graphics seemed to have shruken, they don't occupy the new setting like it did before I changed. Is there anyway to fix that, without having to redo the whole thing so it fits the widescreen???

Don't worry. The most likely thing is that you only need to enable the PAR correction button at the bottom of the Comp Panel. This will simulate the kind of stretching a widescreen TV will perform on a video input designed for that purpose.

Also if i do regular 720x480, and use iDVD to burn it, can I choose widescreen project from iDVD??? Will my 4:3 quicktime movie play as 16:9???

As far as I know, iDVD will honor the aspect ratio flag on a Quicktime video file. If the video file is 4:3, it will be used as 4:3. If it's widescreen, then it will be used as 16:9. In the rare case in which a rendered 16:9 video file is not handled properly by iDVD, you'd need to perform a workaround suggested by Apple in this document on iDVD.

In any case, using 4:3 NTSC in a 16:9 DVD track would make it look awfully distorted - the 4:3 frame would be force-stretched horizontally to 16:9.