2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 1:08 PM by Captiv8r

HTML Caching

heather3423

Is there a setting in RoboHelp 8 so that the generated HTML pages are set not to cache or set the pages to Auto Refresh?  We are having difficulty with some people pulling up cached versions of a frequently updated tool.  We need to ensure they are getting the most up to date version.

• 1. Re: HTML Caching
          Peter Grainge Adobe Community Professional

Those are browser settings. You would have to get your users to create those settings in their browsers.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

Follow me @petergrainge

• 2. Re: HTML Caching
            Captiv8r Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hi all

Peter is right with the Browser settings. However, there actually is a tag or two that may be added to HTML pages that force the page to always be freshly loaded from the server. Basically, there are one or two META tags that you can use. Coaxing RoboHelp into accepting them and not monkeying with them could prove a bit problematic.

So if you want to experiment, you can try adding the following codes to the HTML of the topic. Basically, you look at the HTML view, then insert the follwing line (or lines) somewhere in the list of META tags you should see there. They are most commonly found near the top of the topic.

<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">

<META HTTP-EQUIV="EXPIRES" CONTENT="Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:12:01 GMT">

To find out more about these, click here.

As I said earlier, you may discover to your dismay that you add these in and RoboHelp strips them away when you generate. I've seen this happen. This next bit may just be voodoo on my behalf, but when RoboHelp stripped tags out, it seemed to leave them alone when I experimented with the placement of the content. For example, try making them first in the list of tags. If that fails, try second. And so on. Maybe it will work for you.

Cheers... Rick

Helpful and Handy Links

RoboHelp Wish Form/Bug Reporting Form

Begin learning RoboHelp HTML 7 or 8 within the day - $24.95!

Adobe Certified RoboHelp HTML Training

SorcerStone Blog

RoboHelp eBooks