5 Replies Latest reply on Nov 12, 2009 9:40 PM by Jim_Simon

Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD

MCRoberts Level 1

Greetings:

I have a new Panasonic HDC-HS100PC video camera. It records AVCHD video - whatever that means.

When I import this video and then select one of the imported segments and look at it's properties, it says the following:

Image Size: 1920 x 1080
      Pixel Depth: 32
      Frame Rate: 29.97
      Source Audio Format: 48000 Hz - compressed - 6 channels
      Project Audio Format: 48000 Hz - 32 bit floating point - 6 channels

and I'm pretty sure it is interlaced - not progressive scan.

What I can't figure out is what Sequence Preset to use. I assume that I should use one from the sub-group called AVCHD and I also gather that I should use 1920x1080i. But I am not sure if I should use i30 or i60.

I am going to have to build my project for DVD using standard 720x480 NTSC video for some of my viewers (ie: my Mom). Does the input video preset impact the resulting output? Is there a "good" way to do this?

Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

Mark Roberts,

Toronto

• 1. Re: Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD
          shooternz Level 6

Its a good idea to match the media  (camera media in your case) with the Project setting.

You can encode it to what ever you wish later.

PPRO is  a"non destructive" editor and your original media reamins intact whatever you do in the application (apart from deleting it)

Try 30i.

• 2. Re: Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD
            Jim_Simon Level 8
            I should use i30 or i60.

They're the same thing.  Do you really have both options?  That seems redundant.  Like a choice between six eggs or half a dozen.

• 3. Re: Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD
              genoism Level 1

correct me if im wrong but isnt i30 with 29.97 fps while i60 is at 60fps?

• 4. Re: Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD
                Jeff Bellune Adobe Community Professional

30i and 60i are the same thing.  Prevailing conventional wisdom (mostly because the Camera manufacturers started it) uses 60i to describe 60 interlaced fields, or 30 interlaced frames, of video per second.  However these same folks also use 24p and 30p to describe 24 progressive frames or 30 progressive frames of video per second.  So you get another group of people who think that 30i, and not 60i, should describe the 30 frames of interlaced video every second.

-Jeff

• 5. Re: Choosing Sequence Presets for AVCHD
                  Jim_Simon Level 8

Genoism's confusion is a direct result of camera makers not using proper terminology, and the general populace continuing that error through to common usage.

Bottom line is one should always and only list frames, never fields.  Technically, there is no such thing as 60i, which properly means 60 interlaced frames per second.  You can have 60 progressive, but not 60 interlaced.

Further, saying "interlaced fields" is redundant.  Kind of like saying a "female woman".  Well, all woman are female by default.  There's no need to say both.  Likewise, when you list the "i", meaning interlaced, we know the field rate will be double the frame rate.  There's no need to list both.

Always and only list frames.  Pass the word.