34 Replies Latest reply on Nov 21, 2009 7:13 AM by the_wine_snob

Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version

Tradhunter

I have several projects in the works that were done in the trial version of premier pro cs4, now that I have purchased the master suite and installed it I cannot get Premire to work again. On start up I get 2 error messages saying 'a serious error has occured that requires Adobe Premiere to shut down. We will try to save your project".   Click OK on the warnings and the program does not shut down as indicated in the error message.

All of the videos I had in the trail version now show on the timeline, my titleing shows as well but only audio plays. I've tried importing the same Mpeg4 videos again and the now come in as audio only files (checked via "properties" still showing mpeg4 format). Those exact same videos play fine on the Quicktime player So those files are obviously intact. I've even tried to create new projects with different videos but no matter what I try I cannot get video to play in premire now, every video I import comes in as audio only.

I've spent over 5 hours on hold (3 attempts) trying to reach an Adobe tech but have yet to get through to a live person. I'm getting seriously frusterated and I hope that someone out there can help me get this problem fixed. Please keep in mind that I'm very new to this stuff...

Thanks in advance for your time,

Steve

• 1. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
          dradeke Adobe Employee

This sounds like a job for the CS4 clean script!

My recommendation would be to deactivate and uninstall your copy of Master Collection, restart, run the CS4 clean script a couple of times, restart again and then reinstall MC.  Run all of the updates to get your apps to current (Premiere Pro is 4.2) and then try to open your project again.

Dennis

• 2. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
            the_wine_snob Level 9

Steve,

I agree with Dennis. Afterall, he's the "voice of Adobe."

One little caveat: in theory, uninstalling, running Clean Script CS4 and then reinstalling your MC suite should NOT affect your Projects. Just to be sure, do a backup of your Project folder hierarchy and also your media files. Like I said, doing the above proceedure should NOT affect your Projects, but just do the backup, in case a worst-case scenario does happen.

Please report your success, as a similar set of circumstances are affecting a user of PrElements, and I might learn something to help them.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 3. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
              the_wine_snob Level 9
              I've spent over 5 hours on hold (3 attempts) trying to reach an Adobe tech but have yet to get through to a live person.

I'm addressing this separately from your problem. Adobe has recently made it clear that they are aware of problems with T/S, and are working on correcting this issue.

In the meantime, I strongly suggest that anyone post to these fora first, as nearly every problem has been handled by the subscribers here. I know that I will get blasted, but I feel that at this time, the fora will likely get one the best solutions, and there is little "hold-time." Now, their music might be better...

Good luck,

Hunt

PS - the one instance that I do encourage folk to call Adobe C/S is with installation and Activation issues. We are very lucky to have Dennis, as he can even help in those cases.

• 4. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                dradeke Adobe Employee

in the Goofy voice "awwrrr gosh!"

I can't say I disagree with Hunt's statements here.  We have admitted the problem but it will take time to correct.  That is part of the reason why I am patrolling the boards.  We care - sometimes it doesn't show, but we do.

as a reiteration - if someone is TO'd and not gettting a satisfactory answer, then post here for help.  If you need me, send me a private message with a description of your problem (or a link) and I will do my level best to help.*

Ah, the dreaded asterick.  It says that I travel a lot for Adobe and don't always respond quite as quickly as I would like.  Still, I do my best...

dennis

• 5. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                  Jim_Simon Level 8
                  I've tried importing the same Mpeg4 videos again

That rings an alarm bell.  The trial has no support for MPEG.  If you had MPEGs working, it seems more likely you were using a pirated copy rather than the genuine trial.  And that may well be causing your current issues with the legit copy.

• 6. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                    Tradhunter Level 1

Better check things out before you acuse me of such BS!  My copy was downloaded straight from this site and was def. NOT a pirated copy. I have never used such a thing nor will I ever, it's the same as stealing to me......

Adobe can easily confirm and I still have the e-mails from them when I first downloaded the trial version of Premiere Pro CS4 a few weeks ago. My copy of Master Suite CS4 was purchased from " Acedemic Superstore" through my college as well, I have the reciept and the product Serial number. Having made that purchase and registering it is what allowed me the axcess to the service of this forum..........

That said...

I went through and did exactly what advice was offered verbatum but it changed nothing (uninstall/ reboot/ ran cleaner several times/ reinstall). I still get the same error message on start up and I cannot import any video into Premiere no matter if it is to an existing project or a new project. Any video I try to import still comes in as audio files no matter what format I try. The icon for video files show as a speaker instead of video and checking "properties" of the file shows only audio info. Took a few hours but it was worth the try and I thank Dennis for the advice.

Any ideas what to do next? Of all of the programs in the master suite collection premiere pro is the only one not functioning (but happens to be the one I need most right now)

Thanks once again for your time,

Steve

• 7. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                      Harm Millaard Level 7
                      I've tried importing the same Mpeg4 videos again and the now come in as audio only files (checked via "properties" still showing mpeg4 format).

That is not possible with a trial version, so you probably used a hijacked (illegal) version. Contact Adobe Technical Support to iron this out.

• 8. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                        Jim_Simon Level 8
                        I have the reciept and the product Serial number.

I wasn't doubting the purchased copy.  But if you had MPEGs working in the "trial", then you're the first and only I've ever heard of.  Which is why I suspect a hacked copy, not a legit trial.

The data you provide just doesn't fit with known facts, that's why we suspect your information.

• 9. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Tradhunter,

I have to admit that the processing of the MP4's in the trial is curious, because of the total lack of MPEG (any flavor) support in the trial. Still, let's shelve that oddity and try to get to the root of your problem.

The MP4's require an H.264 CODEC to handle at all. There are three very popular H.264 CODEC's, Apple's, Lead and MainConcept. I know that the Apple is installed with QuickTime Pro, and should also be available for free, if it is not installed with the regular QuickTime Player. I would assume that PrPro has the MainConcept H.264 that gets installed, when one installs PrPro, but someone else will have to verify this. You have installed, and re-installed after Clean Script, as directed. This should install any necessary MainConcept H.264 CODEC, if it is part of the installation package.

Now, there have been cases where the full-paid version has reverted to the trial version when updates are applied. This then kills all MPEG functions - sounds about like what is happening to you. In several other threads, Harm Millaard has linked to a "registration" utility to correct this problem. Can't find that link this morning, but will keep looking. In the meantime, I'll bet that he, or Dennis have it handy.

Until someone comes up with the link to that Adobe utility, check your system for an H.264 CODEC.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 10. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                            melsdctv17

I too have this same issue. I have never ran the trial version of PProCS4. I have also been dealing with adboe support for weeks. I have uninstalled, ran clean sweep, created a new profile (which they said was the problem with vista) and reinstalled CS4. I upgrade to CS4 a few months ago and have had numerous issues. I have done all the upgrades, tried several different files for mpeg4 - all have the same issue. No video just audio. I also have the issue with avi files running in fast forward, but the audio is fine. The video will run in FF and then stop and stay on a single frame until the audio catches up then run in FF again. Adobe tech's cant seem to figure it out either, I've been elevated to level 2 tech support which really just means I have to wait for another phone call in a few days. Any of you have suggestions I may try? Thanks for you help.

• 11. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                              dradeke Adobe Employee

What graphics card are you using?  Can you describe your system a bit more.

If this is happening to multiple people, I want to understand it - but I've never had this problem on any of my systems and so it's hard for me to troubleshoot at the moment.

Give me some more data when you get the chance.

Dennis

• 12. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                melsdctv17 Level 1

Dennis,

Thanks for responding! Here's my computer info:

Vista Business

Ram - 8.00 GB

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5420 @ 2.50Ghz 2.49Ghz (2 processors)

32 bit Operating System

NVIDA Quadro NVS 290

The IT departments next step would be to wipe the operating system and

either put this back to XP or go back to CS3. After all the troubleshooting

I've done I really feel this is some sort of compadibility issue, but I cant

be sure at this point. Just a note about this, I work with the area college

and their media center is having the same issues. They especially are having

the issues with the avi files playing in FF from their hard drive. We have

tried multiply hard drives both in avi type 1 and 2 and from different

cameras.

Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

Melissa

• 13. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                  dradeke Adobe Employee

Melissa,

I understand a college's need to get up and running in the lab.  If your IT department has another graphics card to try, that might be valuable to try.  I will point out that a 32BIt os is wasting your 8GB of memory (it can't address anything above 4)  You might try opening a case with Adobe tech support to see if there is some real incompatibility or provide more information about your system here.  brand and model number would be helpful.  If it's a bigger company like HP or Dell and the systems are a bit older, things like updating the bios can sometimes help.

If people are having problems playing from their hard drive, I need to ask the obvious...  Do you have two physical hard drives (1 for the applications and OS and 1 for the video)?

Dennis

• 14. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                    melsdctv17 Level 1

Dennis,

The computer I use for all editing is a Dell precision T5400 Model is DCTA,

this computer is only a year old.

As far as the hard drives let me clarify. I have several external hard

drives for the computer but the hard drives I'm referring to are Focus

MR-HD100 media recorders. The college is using an older versions but I have

two newer ones. We have a total of 4 of them all are having the same issue,

we record from the cameras (I use a Panasonic, college is using Canons.)

When we import the video file (we have tried both Avi type 1 and 2) the

imported file plays the audio fine but the video is in FF. I have a hard

time thinking it’s the computers or the hard drives at this point. These

were working fine a few months ago for both the college and myself. They are

able to use one computer that is still running CS3 and imports just fine.

The other issue is importing m4v files, the import but only with audio no

video. These also used to import fine. I'm wondering at this point if the

conflict could be a combination of updates from Adobe and updates for Vista.

Melissa

• 15. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                      Harm Millaard Level 7

Melissa,

Dennis asked about the physical internal hard disks, such as the one where the OS and programs are installed.

• 16. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                        Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Melissa, I am not clear what format is at issue.  Are you able to put a standard definition AVI type 2 on the timeline and have it play okay?

• 17. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                          melsdctv17 Level 1

Sorry about that here's the info on the hard drives: Seagate ST3750630AS,

700Gb, two of them in a mirror set.

Thanks for your help.

Melissa

• 18. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                            melsdctv17 Level 1

I can capture SD avi from a tape connected to the camera with firewire, what I am not able to do it import footage from the media recorders or import m4v

files. The m4v files are missing the video and will only import the audio portion. The avi files from the media recorders will play video in fast forward and the audio will play fine. These may be two separate issue however, they both started occurring about the same time.

Thanks for all your responses, I'm greatful for any help you can give me at this point.

• 19. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version

What is the format of the footage from the media recorder?

• 20. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                the_wine_snob Level 9

Melissa,

Looking at the Focus units, it appears that you have workable options, like the DV-AVI Type II (they list it as Pinnacle).

There are, however, variations for HD material. These can have a big impact on how PrPro handles the files.

For both formats, I'd suggest that you download and install the freeware utility, G-Spot, and run example files of both offending format through it. Getting the full details on both the DV-AVI's and the HD files might yield a clue.

Going back some years now, I seem to recall one user of the then current Focus, having a similar problem. I do not recall if this was in the PrPro CS3 forum (combined now), or maybe the PrElements forum, or even on the Muvipix community.

Unfortunately, I do not recall the details, or if there was resolution. I only remember it, as I had to Google to get info on the Focus units, as I had not heard of them. I'll see if I can find that discussion, but you might also want to search too. I did comment in that thread, so adding "Hunt" to the search criteria might be helpful, as I sign almost all posts.

Good luck, and wish my memory was better.

Hunt

• 21. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                  melsdctv17 Level 1

I've tried both avi type 1 and type 2. Both have the same results.

• 22. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                    the_wine_snob Level 9
                                                    I've tried both avi type 1 and type 2. Both have the same results.

What does G-Spot say about the DV-AVI Type II's? As this is a pretty specific format/CODEC, there are not THAT many setting options.

Also, are you working in NTSC, or PAL, and are you keeping the Export in the same form?

No luck on that old article yet. I'd guess that that user was on an earlier model, due to how long ago that discussion took place. Still working on the boolean for useful searches.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 23. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                      melsdctv17 Level 1

I have not had a chance to use G-Spot yet. I'm using NTSC, not sue what you mean when I export.

• 24. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version

Gspot is easy to download and run, and will save some guess work.

Gspot

In other words, what format did the camera shoot?  What format/codec did it store on the media recorder?  How did you copy/capture/transfer to the PC?  Was any conversion involved?  Even with all these answers, we don't know if operator error or some other factors make a difference.  Tthe easiest way is to look at the file you are importing to PR and see what format/codec gspot shows is there.

I realize all this is an established workflow for you, but something is different.  Type 1 and type 2 is normally applied only to DV avi files, but if that is what it is, if should be fine just as your captured from camera DV avi file was.

• 25. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                          melsdctv17 Level 1

Here's what I got from G-Spot with the recorder set to avi type 1" I was

able to play the video clip here and it looked ok with both audio and video.

I did try the other media recorders and three I tested also showed the

corrupt header along with this one. I have the media recorder connected to

the camera via firewire/transfers to PC with usb. No, I have not have to

convert these files in the past.

• 26. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                            Harm Millaard Level 7

With CS4 you have to convert them in order to avoid problems. Maybe you can still find the GV/Canopus DV Converter, otherwise you need to Google for another converter.

• 27. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                              melsdctv17 Level 1

yes I could convert these files however that would be missing the whole point of using a media recorder. The time it takes to convert these I would be able to just use a tape and capture the avi from PP. This still seems like an issue with CS4, why would it change from a few months ago? And I cant have 4 media recorders all doing the same thing on several different PC's all with CS4 and recorded with several types of cameras. CS4 is the only common link. Would you have any other suggestions?

• 28. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version

I do not see the Gspot results; did you insert an image?

• 29. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                                  melsdctv17 Level 1

Just to test, I loaded CS3 on a XP. This same file from the media recorder work fine, both audio and video. I tried again to load them on my other PC with cs4 and have the same issue - video in FF and audio runs fine. Any thoughts??

• 30. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                                    melsdctv17 Level 1

I thought so, I'll try again.

Codec;dvsd Name: DVC/DV Video

Status: Codec are installed

Corrupt AVI header

. Chunk: /RIFF:AVI /LIST:movi

. Offset: 0x00023004

. Value:0xc0d40100

Compatibility Note: DV Type 1 AVI

OpenDML (AVI v2.0)

Image below:

• 32. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version

First, I have no idea why this should happen the way that it is for you.  (See below for one idea.)  But I love puzzles, and it certainly seems that something is wrong (others are not reporting the particular problem you have).

I assume that, if you look with Gspot, the dv clip captured directly would not have a problem header.

What does Gspot show for one of your clips handled as type II?

How are you selecting type 1 or 2?  Is this software that comes with the media recorder?

Once upon a time (well currently, but for most of the world close to obsolete), I had a pdx10.  Sony treated the audio format differently, so Premiere captures as mono.  Scenalyzer captures it correctly.  This appears to be true because scenalyzer actually looks at what is in the file and Premiere looks at the header (or something like it).  That may not be a technically accurate statement, but it illustrates my point.  It is possible that CS4 has changes something about hte way a file is handled so that a corrupt header DV avi was okay in CS3 and not in CS4.  Because of my history, I think scenalyzer had the superior method; but it is hard to argue with Adobe if a good header will produce good results.

(Dennis, curious about your take on this.)

• 33. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                                        melsdctv17 Level 1

I'll do some more testing with AVI 2 and see what

G-spot shows. As for the media recorder I have several options on how to capture: raw DV, AVI 1; AVI2; canopus avi and matrox avi; quicktime and mxf. I was  using the avi 2 but changed to avi1 when I started doing troubleshooting, the college media center had been using avi2. I have tried different settings although I have not tried the matrox avi or the mxf.

It would make sense that CS4 would have issues if it needed to read the header but why would it change - when I first loaded CS4 last spring this worked fine with both avi1 and 2. I dont know if these media recorders have always had this "corrupt header" as I had never tested them before I started having trouble. Thanks for you help.

• 34. Re: Video missing after upgrading from trial version to full version
                                                                          the_wine_snob Level 9

Stanley,

Photoshop exhibits similar behavior, though this does not seem to be version specific. With poorly, or improperly, saved JPEG images (faulty header info), PS will not Open them. Other programs, like Ulead, or IrfanView can do so with no issues. If the faulty JPEG is then Saved from them, PS has no issues.

Could be the same, or at least similar here.

Good luck,

Hunt